-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My barrel IS a Badger. Creedmore rifles had to weigh in at just a hair less than 10 lbs. I've seen a few Sharps Creedmores and they also have long (34") slender barrels. My rifle weighs in at 9.9 lbs. Creedmore weight.

and my rifle is a Winchester NOT a Browning. HOWEVER I gave Davidsons a call and it is NOT a Traditional Hunter, nor is it listed as a Creedmore. It has a 34" barrel and is listed only as a "Limited Edition" and that only 375 were made sos it is an open question as to just what designation it is besides "Blackpowder Only"

Last edited by EvilTwin; 07/28/10.

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
My camera crapped out and I don't have a recent pic of my setup with the completed sticks and the scope mounted, but you get the idea:
[Linked Image]

I am waiting on dies from Midway USA so I can eventually load up some 300 gr. Barnes X bullets in it.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Nice Rifle!! I am a bit surprised that you didn't really wring out the Lyman sight. Mine shoots superbly using the tang. Have a riot wid dat cannon!

Be afraid,be VERY VERY afraid
ad triarios redisse
My Buddy eh76 speaks authentic Frontier Gibberish!
[Linked Image]
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
You know, I thought about using the irons for quite a while (that is what I originally intended), but I am so much better with the Weaver that it would be silly not to. I have had the rifle since May and haven't had a chance to shoot any big game with it and it is driving me crazy!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by EvilTwin
My barrel IS a Badger. Creedmore rifles had to weigh in at just a hair less than 10 lbs. I've seen a few Sharps Creedmores and they also have long (34") slender barrels. My rifle weighs in at 9.9 lbs. Creedmore weight.

and my rifle is a Winchester NOT a Browning. HOWEVER I gave Davidsons a call and it is NOT a Traditional Hunter, nor is it listed as a Creedmore. It has a 34" barrel and is listed only as a "Limited Edition" and that only 375 were made sos it is an open question as to just what designation it is besides "Blackpowder Only"

I am fully ware of what the 1870s definition of a "Creedmoor" rifle and the specs. My point was that it is not what the current Miroku made Winchester 1885 "Creedmoor" model is NOW..

The current NRA long range creedmoor match rules have long allowed guns up to 15 lbs. That is why the Winchester Creedmoor 1885s weight about 12 lbs. and have barrels a LOT heavier than your rifle.

Here is a link to Winchester page for the Creedmoor. Note the specs and the pic.

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=002C&mid=534121

Really nothing like your rifle except it has an 1885 action.

And also, except for the barrel length the Creedmoor model is IDENTICAL to the orgional Browning BPCR Silhoutte guns of the mid 1990s. They should be- the SAME factory made them.

As a matter of fact- Winchester is still making a few of the 30" BPCRs-

http://www.winchesterguns.com/products/catalog/detail.asp?family=002C&mid=534169

And BTW, if you compare the rifling pattern in your Miroku made "Winchester" to a genuine Badger barrel you will see REAL quick your gun does not have a Badger tube on it.

Nothing wrong with that- the Miroku barrels are just fine. But it is not a Badger.

Last edited by jim62; 07/28/10.

To all gunmaker critics-
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena.."- Teddy Roosevelt
IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I bought one this year a Browning 45/70 the gun was built in 1993, it's got the octagon barrel the steel crescent butt plate, the tang sight and the prettiest wood I'd ever seen on a similar rifle. I'll have to post a few pictures of it. I loaded up some 475 grain cast bullets at moderate velocities and it thumps you pretty good. I would imagine it would put the hurt out on the other end too.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
Mike

Mike

Last edited by morecowbell; 08/25/10.

Progress is man's ability to complicate simplicity.
Thor Heyerdahl
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I really like the 1885's. I have a few of them, and I also have a nice Sharp's replica in 45-70. However my new favorite 1885 is a Low Wall in 45 Colt. I actually like it better for a hunting rifle than the High Wall's. A 38-55 in a High Wall would be a great hunting rifle. But I think the 45 Colt would be as effective on deer sized game out to 200 or 250 yards(as the 38-55-or close), and is a better carry rifle in my opinion. I know I really like mine. And with a bullet that I cast it shoots very well. I am thinking about shooting black powder loads in the Low Wall. Hopefully I can find an accurate load.

When I deer hunt with my 45-70 High Wall's I have a Gallery Load I worked up to shoot small game with. With the longer barrel the load is basically silent when shooting at small game to fifty yards. It is so quiet that when you pull the trigger I can hear the hammer drop. Tom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

West By God Virginia
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B

Here is an original (mostly - new barrel) and one of my usual, dink, mulie bucks.

[Linked Image]

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by BrentD

Here is an original (mostly - new barrel) and one of my usual, dink, mulie bucks.

[Linked Image]

"DINK"?? Looks like fresh meat to me??

What cartridge is that beauty?? I would love to have one like that. Tom.

West By God Virginia
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
It is meat for sure. Or rather it was meat.

The cartridge is a .38-72. Loaded with 72 grs of Swiss 1.5fg and a 300 gr flat-nosed paper patched bullet. Works pretty well for me. It, and an original Ballard Pacific will be antelope hunting this year.

Brent

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
IC B3

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

330 members (1Longbow, 2500HD, 1lesfox, 240NMC, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 25 invisible), 1,964 guests, and 1,114 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,088
Posts18,501,767
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.