-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Keep in mind in 06 the M70 AW comes with a 22" tube while the 8400 Montana comes with a 24". That could be a deciding factor on which rifle.

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As others have mentioned if going the Kimber route I'd wait for an 84L.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'd wait until the 84L's come out and then pick up a 8400 Montana on the cheap. If it doesn't shoot well, rebarrel it to 338-06 or 257 Weatherby or something...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by jimmyp
you would be better with a Salvage package rifle than an Icon

No fan of either rifle but the Icon is a lot higher up the chain then the Salvage

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Go with the brand new M70 over the Icon and Kimber. The new M70's are simply superb craftsmanship. With today's powders and bullets, a 22" barrel will be more than sufficient so don't let that sway you.

IC B2

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
I ended up going with the EW in 30-06 over the Kimber and no regrets. In all fariness, I have never owned a Kimber but did check them out.

First range session with the EW was today and I think I'll like this rifle just fine. Shot 1.5" 3 shot groups at 100 yards with Remington Core-Lokt 165 gr. I'll put another box of these down it before I go to premium ammo. It wears a VXIII 1.75-6x in dual dovetail rings. Heck, at 6x, I might not be able to do better than 1.5" groups regardless of the ammo, so I'm satisified that the accuracy claim of under 1 MOA with premium ammo is realistic. And given that the barrel is "wispy" by design, I'm not complaining. The barrel does heat up quick, and groups started walking the longer I shot.

"Fit & finish" I'd have to give a 7 out of 10. Some of the acion metal work is a touch sloppy and has a few dings in it that I didn't catch when looking it over at the gun shop. Had to clean out the stock's rear action screw hole due to some factory applied bedding compound buggering up the screw hole. The fluted barrel is just plain cool and the barrel work is flawless.

Stock design/recoil reduction I'd give 10/10. I was wearing a t-shirt, shot 14 rounds, and no pain or redness..amazing! If I cant get to sub MOA with premium ammo I'll have my gunsmith accurize the rifle before I drop the coin for a more expensive stock. The B&C stock with the aluminum bedding block is much more rigid than the Kimber stock IMHO.

Bolt design 10/10. The bolt take-down is crazy simple.

Adjustable trigger 10/10.

Overall 9 out of 10. Best & most rugged SS lightwieght all weather rifle under $1,000 that I could find...but that's just me:-)

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nothing but good things to say about my M70 EW in .308 Win.

WAR EAGLE!

ACLakey Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anybody know if they will be offering the EW in 7mm-08 anytime soon. I know the 30-06 is never a bad choice, I have several, but I have been thinking of going the 7mm-08 route.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i doubt it, but don't really know...

i wouldn't wait on winchester to come up with what i wanted...
there are several good 'smiths around that will barrel up about any rifle that you choose...

as far as the 7-08 cartridge, i much prefer the .308...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd probably go with the Mod 70 EW over the 8400 but I'd just wait at this point for the 84L as my first choice. I must say I was impressed with the fit and finish of the new Win EW's. Didn't like Gander's price on 'em though.

IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
I've handled Kimbers but never owned one. I do own an extreme weather.

My uneducated opinion is the only advantage the Kimber has over the EW is the trigger.

Tom

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Mr. Lakey,

I bought a mod 70 EW in .300WSM a few weeks ago. I received quite a bit of advice from the Campfire Crowd, and I am damn glad I took it. The new FN Model 70's are a big improvement from the last of the New Haven guns. I agree that the B&C stock could have been much trimmer, but I can live with that. My hang up on the rifle was the MOA trigger.

I took the advice of another camper and bought a lighter trigger spring from erniethegunsmith. If you don't feel confident in working on your rifle take it to a local gunsmith, as he can replace the old heavier trigger spring with the new lighter weight spring. He can also replace the trigger spring screw. I had to back my TS screw almost all the way out(just enough threads to hold it in). Use blue, NOT RED LocTite on the few threads that hold the TS screw in the trigger unit. You will also need to use finger nail polish, finger nail polish glue, or some other REMOVEABLE agent to put around the TS screw to make sure it stays in place. This should reduce the the trigger pull to 3-4 lbs.I would still like to get another pound off the trigger pull weight. The light weight of the rifle and the great adjustable triggers are to me the advantages of the Kimber. I also like their stocks.

On the other hand, the accuracy of Kimbers is a hit and miss thing. I am still not satisfied with the trigger pull on my Win EW but I will eventually get that squared away. So for me, it came down to what Col. Townsend Whelen said many years ago. "Only accurate rifles interest me"

G2

Last edited by Gramps2; 08/24/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gramps,

Have you personally experienced the "hit and miss" accuracy of a Kimber rifle?

Thanks.

ALDO LEOPOLD
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Kimber7man,

Good Afternoon,

Yes I have. I had a 270WSM 8400 Montana a few years ago that did not feed properly, and I could never get it to shoot a decent(less than an inch) 3 shoot 100yd group with home grown or factory ammo. So it found a new home.

Please don't get me wrong. I love the 84M, how can you not? I have a 7mm/08 Montana that has been perfect, after I found that it liked Hornady 139gr Lt Mag factory ammo. The best three shot group with the 7mm/08 has been .735". I am currently working on an 84M in .308 that I am determined to find what it likes. So far it likes 165gr AB or BT's, in front of 46grs of Varget. With the best group being .840". This is certainly minute of deer accuracy, and the older I get the more I appreciate lighter rifles. My point was that the young man who started this topic would stand a better chance of getting better out of the box accuracy, with the new Mod 70 with a variety of loads, especially if he does not reload.

I am looking forward to getting my hands on an 84L Montana in .270 Win when Kimber decides to put them on the market.
As you can see, I am certainly not anti Kimber, but I do believe it takes more time at the range, money(bullets, powders, brass, etc.) and patience to shoot a Kimber well.

Have a good evening,

G2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Gramps,

Thanks for your input - I bought a 8400 Classic in .270 that wouldn't shoot factory ammo or a few handloads into a pot. Until I seated the bullet way out to an OAL of 3.395" and, boom, it suddenly turned into a tack driver!

Have yet to lay hands on or shoot a new Model 70. Suspect I'll pick one up someday, if they chamber a featherweight in the Bob it will be a given!

ALDO LEOPOLD
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 56 invisible), 2,401 guests, and 1,213 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.