-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Regarding the .416 Rigby cartridge....to the best of my recollection there was a post some time ago either here or on AR from a Peter V who has been a PH, regarding penetration from the Rigby. He referenced an incident where a bull elephant was shot broadside, then turned to run away. A second round from a 416 Rigby firing a Barnes solid was put in the elephants rear and the bullet was recovered from near the base of a tusk.

Pretty neat story.

GB1

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Mule Deer

What work went into making the CZ 550 stock close to the one of Selby's Rigby? Where did they nip and tuck? Thanks,

Landrum

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Thanks for the great read, and it cleared up some of the confusion of the "from Uncle Bob" thing that has floated around for years, I guess its on both rifles, correct?

BTW, the last thread we had on Harry Selby on this blog was enduring to me, in that I got a 24 hour email from Harry asking how I was and it was good hearing from me after all these years..I emailed him back and it was great hearing from him, whom I had not had contact with for many, many years and pretty much relied on BFaucetts updates on him, and the rare ocassions that I see Mark Selby at SCI shows..I have not seen Mark since about 1998 at a SCI show for some reason...

It was probably Harry Selbys influence along with George Hoffmans constant hammering that lead me to the accept the .40 calibers and my preference for the 416 Rem. and 404 Jefferys, but I never told George that I prefered the 404! smile smile..I believe either caliber is more than sufficient for elephant or Mastadon. smile smile

The .416 caliber and that includes the 450-400, 404 and some others is a good balance of rifle weight, balance, and recoil that lends itself to good shooting for most of us IMO...I see the neat little 416 Ruger as a success. That is a lot of killing power in a very small package IMO...For Nostalgia I will always have a soft spot in my heart for the 404 J.

Jorge1,
I have to respectfully disagree with you, I contend the 450-400 in the field kills every bit as well as any 416, including the Wby, but not on paper. In fact most big bores do the same thing.

jorgeI Online Content OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
No problem Ray, I'm just a "speed freak" based on my limited experience. To my brain, a 400 TSX@ 2700 or even 2400 where my Rigby operates, has to be more effective than say a 400gr Woodleigh@ 2100.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
Landrum,

I shortened the forend to eliminate the long schnabel, and made the comb straight and removed the cheekpiece. I kept shaving the comb until when I put the rifle up the express sights were lined up every time.

Luckily, the spar varnish I usually use as a stock finish matched the factory finish perfectly, so I didn't have to refinish the entire stock, or even rechecker it.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T

JB:

I've asked you this before on another of your rifles, but if you'd indulge me once more, I wonder if you could say where the Rigby rifle, or yours for that matter, balances in inches from the trigger.

Thanks.

- Tom

M
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
M
I don't think I ever tested it on the Selby Rigby, but my CZ balances 6-1/4" in front of the trigger.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
Pics of the re-worked CZ stock, posted for Mule Deer:

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by BFaucett
COOL!! grin Thanks for that article! That's one I hadn't seen before. I'm going read it Saturday morning as I'm sipping my morning coffee. smile

BTW, I really like your avatar. That's one of my favorite movies!

Thanks again!

Cheers!
-Bob F. smile

I think it was the .275 you posted photos of, and not Marks double I was thinking of. Still, I can't see how that rifle ever left the family.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by hatari
I think it was the .275 you posted photos of, and not Marks double I was thinking of. Still, I can't see how that rifle ever left the family.

No worries... I very much enjoyed reading the article! Thanks again.

As far as the rifle(s) leaving the family.... Well, sometimes money does talk. And if person is at retirement age and can use the cash then I can fully understand selling. Besides, Harry Selby and family had many, many years of owning, using, and enjoying those rifles.

Cheers!
-Bob F.

IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Bob and Hatari,
Both of you have made some excellent points, but I also understand as you age and are not using your guns. and your kids and relitives are not really interested, or have more of your guns than they really want or need, that selling them to someone that will appreciate them more is probably the better option.

I also think that leaving the guns and stuff for your spouse to deal with in case of your demise is basically cruel, knowing that the vultures will pounce on her for a deal on all your fine guns and the offers may be way under market as some take advantage of the grieving widow. I have seen this many times over the years with some of my hunting buddies death, and in many cases helped out the family in pricing or even selling the guns for them, as many of us have done I am sure, but in the end they usually get less than true value as they don't want to deal with the reality, so its best to handle all these things beforehand IMO....

I know this as I am in that very situation as we speak. I am selling off many of my guns and only keeping family guns that will go to the kids or the Texas Ranger Musem, and a couple of favorites that I will need and use until my last breath! smile smile smile
I also have to allow for my weakness to buy a gun from time to time! smile They there are my horses~! I guess I'll have to break something before they go, I intend to pursue my ropeing habit until my body revolts into a total colapse.. Trust me getting old ain't for sissies.:) smile

Last edited by atkinsonhunting; 08/29/10.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

600 members (007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 57 invisible), 2,358 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,141
Posts18,484,085
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.