Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
RWE Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Anything inherently wrong about storing guns horizontal?

Or perhaps at a slight angle up or down?

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
If you do not have scope caps and the like on them I think it would be better. I have a Mauser procured from an elderly neighbor that was stored vertically in a cabinet for so many years that there was a dust bunny in the chamber!

Last edited by iambrb; 08/25/10.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I store mine upside down as they are easier to pull out from the safe and it doesn't squish the pad.

It also would be a good habit as any fluids would run to the muzzle instead of into the bedding.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Best stored barrel down so that you don't ruin the recoil pad..However I am not adament on this and most of mine are actually butt down, but I can change out the recoil pad in an hour or so.

Oil will leak to the wood on lots of models, and best it runs down to the forend than back into the recoil tang.. Oil ruins wood, but the best cure for that is don't over oil as the vast majority of folks do..it only takes half a tad if that of oil to maintain a firearm and never enough to run is correct....

The bottom line then is don't over oil and store them any way that works best for you..

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I store the wood stocked rifles muzzle down and the synthetics butt down. The muzzle down protects the wood from oil and storing the synthetics allows me to pack in more rifles in the safes.

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
IC B2

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
But is there a "down side" storing rifles horizontal??

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Nope, especially when stored right-side up. Generally that gives the bore a little downslope, so any oil or solvent will still flow away from the action inletting.

Horizontal also tends to keep the scope lenses less dusty, if you're not using scope caps.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Someone not using scope caps? Never occurred to me. Less grit and crap on the lens, less cleaning, less chance of damage.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
nighthawk,
Sorry but there are folks like me that have a draw full of scope caps, mostly made out of intertube jbtw, that never use them for some reason known only to the Red Gods of Hunting!!! smile smile smile smile

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by oldguns

Only one I know of. Dad mounted his own deer feet and screwed then into a knotty pine wall to make horizontal gun racks in his gun room. The salts from the tanning process rusted the heck out of several barrels and trigger guards.

It was common for old time taxidermists to mount a deer head on a pannel and one or two pairs of up turned deer feet below to use as gun racks. Same problem.

O

Too old to suffer fools
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
An old-fashioned gun rack (horizontal) sure is a nice way to access guns, and they look good too.

I see no downside to horizontal.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by atkinsonhunting
...for some reason known only to the Red Gods of Hunting!!! smile smile smile smile

That's probably the best explanation for some of the things I do too. laugh laugh

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by oldguns

Yes there is a down side. I don't have enough wall space to hang them all, and they aren't very secure. I do have a chest type strong box that I store guns in, but there the problem is like a chest type freezer. Whatever you want is at the bottom. Another problem is you have to store them in cushioned gun cases if you are just going to pile them in, and then you have the potential for rust in a humid enviroment.

Some day, I will have a large vault room with lots of horizontal racks on tracks just like bookcases. That's my dream anyway!

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I saw something yesterday that still bothers me � a horizontal wall rack of four shotguns with the barrels pointing the wrong way.

Given the fact that some numbnuts rack 'em with live rounds in the chambers, and inadvertent discharges are not unknown, I'd feel a lot more comfortable with those barrels pointed toward a nearby intersecting wall, not toward a doorway near the rack.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

565 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 160user, 1234, 222Sako, 69 invisible), 2,303 guests, and 1,285 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,790
Posts18,496,076
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.