Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
slinky Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
I heard that it can be used as a lube. <P>Can it?<P>How well does it work?

GB1

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Stinky, never used it so I don't know how it would work, but I would wonder if it has any salt in to cause rust. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
G
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
G
crisco works great as a lube, i've used it in my muzzleloaders for years, i prefer T/C's bore butter these days because its easier to use in the tube, but there aint a thing wrong with using crisco...gutpile

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I agree with gutpile. I used it for several years. The only drawback is in hot weather it liquifies and drips/runs all over everything, but it is a good lube. I use TC bore butter now.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Crisco, is good stuff, i primarily use it in the fall and winter where the heat will not affect it.<P>Neat trick: Take a shallow tin fill with crisco melt under low heat till liquid. Place bullets on end standing in crisco, let cool. roll a piece of heavy paper to diameter of bullets, use as punch to punch out bullets with lube in the grooves. now take bullets place in center of piece of syran wrap, about 2 inches square. take corners and pull them together up over bullet, use twist tie to hold together. (not greatest directions.)<P>Now you have a bullet with lube, and held neatly in a syran wrap package ready for use. You can toss them in your possibles bag and they will not grease everything up. When comes time to load, dump powder in gun, grab wrapped bullet and stuff in brl. the syran wrap will break off when rifling engraves maxi bullet. Finish loading and shoot.<P>I use for better, quicker reloads in my muzzy. Hope this helps some.

Whatever you are willing to put up with, is exactly what you will have.

When your ship comes in. ... make sure you are willing to unload it.

PAYPAL, sucks and I will never use them again. I recommend you do the same.
IC B2

P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Slinky, I did check the label on a can of crisco this weekend and it does contain salt. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
W
W
Plain Crisco all-vegetable shortening contains: <BR>Partially hydrogenated soybean and cottonseed oils, mono- and diglycerides. This was taken directly off the can. The "flavored" varieties may contain salt, the "plain" does not. I've used Crisco as a lube, and as an chamber mouth lube/sealer (revolvers) since approx. 1967. It works great. If you wish to use it as a patch lube, add bees wax. Some folks add oil, such as olive, canola or even a dash of Murphys Oil Soap. If you wish to use a tube. Go to the camping section of most stores. There you'll find re-fillable tubes. They have a sliding clip to seal the large end. You can make your lube stiffer by adding more bees wax. Most big craft stores will have pure bees wax in their candle making supplies. ( It's expensive) I just "eye-ball" it when I make a batch of lube. Basically, it's about 1/3 bees wax, 2/3 Crisco, + a dash of canola or olive oil.

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
After buying a small tube of boar butter for sevem bucks and learning it is food degradable I put my cents together and figured out it was just shortining with food colar and perfume. Shortining works just great, been using it for 4 years and no rust on my gun. 06

Beware the one-gun man.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

567 members (160user, 1minute, 1badf350, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 219DW, 59 invisible), 2,362 guests, and 1,323 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,182
Posts18,503,266
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.