-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My feet are hard to fit and Kenetrek's just didn't work. Ditto Lowas Sheephuntrs. Other have totally different results. It's not that they're wrong and I'm right, only that feet are all different and what works for one may not work for another. That's why the generic "which is the best boot" threads so often found on these forums are so utterly irritating.

I have a pair of Schnee Granite's on my feet as I write this and have my fingers crossed. So far the seem like they might work as well as my beloved and now deceased Cablea's Mountain Hunters... best hunting boot I ever had on my feet.

Most of the bots mentioned on this thread are great boots from a build POV... the "best" is the one that doesn't hurt!

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
GB1

AHM Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Brad
the "best" is the one that doesn't hurt!

AMEN!

Crossing my fingers.

U
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
U
Brad
I was using REI as a guide for the OP as im not that familier with the stores you have.Its a differant story for me, as Im lucky to have the best outdoor store in the south of england less than 10 miles from me, so NEVER find myself wondering what something fits or looks like and they also make there own boots tho having said that,my current synthetic boots happen to be Kaylands.

Canada by choice, British by Blood

People think there's a rigid class system here, but dukes have been known to marry chorus girls. Some have even married Americans.

HRH Prince Phillip

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by UKdave
Its simple not worth messing about with buying boots online

Dave, this was the bit I was referring to.

Sounds like you and I are in the enviable position of being able to get what we want locally. I doubt most here in the US are so fortunate as to be able to try on multiple varieties of Mountain Hunting Boots locally (which I believe is what we're talking about here).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by MontanaPH
In terms of insulation, not all insulators are created equal. Boots like the Lowa Sheephunter and Schnee's Granite are using PrimaLoft insulation (200 Grams). IMO PrimaLoft is about as good as it gets for warmth: it has a higher warmth to weight ration than thinsulate or other synthetics (200 gms of PL would be about equal to 400gms of thinsulate), and it much more effective at moving moisture and maintains its insulating ability when wet (thinsulate loses r-value with saturation)!

It's good to hear first-hand experience with the Primaloft... I'd heard the same thing about 200 Primaloft vs. 400 Thinsulate, but my only experience is with 400 and 600 Thinsulate. The Granites I have will be my first venture with Primaloft on the mountain.

Hopefully I can smack a bull early on and avoid -20 hunting!

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
whenever possible buy boot where you can try them on first from a store with a good return policy.
I just spent 5 days in Washington hunting in the rain,my new Vasque boots leaked bad.I took the soaked boots into REI on the way home and walked out with cash in my hand,no questions asked.No such luck with Kenetrek
Thats where I'll spend my money in the future,cust. service means alot
Tim

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I also have the Kenetrecks with 400 grams, and they seem to fit true to size...They are good boots HOWEVER the sole SUCKS!!! I will never buy another boot without Vibram soles- the CHEAP CRAP soles that Kenetrecks are using are not even close to having as much grip as my Meindl's with Vibram..

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

55 members (1_deuce, 338Rules, AdventureBound, 406_SBC, 7 invisible), 1,502 guests, and 794 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,450
Posts18,507,945
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.