Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I have a Kimber Montana .260 on which I can't seem to get used to the safety. I started shooting Remington rifles and prefer the slide safety. On the Montana, it doesn't feel right for me. I shot some Remington 140 Corelokts out of it and got 1.25 inch groups for the 10 rounds I put through it.
Bore is shiny and bright, no rust, no freckling, just a good clean rifle.
It is a 3 position safety, works flawlessly, barrel is 21" long, can get a weight later, but if I recall it was just over 6 lbs with rings and a sling.
It will come with a Kimber bore guide, the original Kimber scope mounts, in the first two pics, they are silver and in fine shape. Currently it wears a 2.5-8 x 36 Leupold VX iii, it is not included in the price of $900. Not sure if I will put it on my Model 7 .260 that I now have and love, so the right offer might make it come your way as well. That scope sits in Talley LW high rings, They can be had for $25 more. I won't sell those until the rifle goes as they make a nice couple.
It was originally purchased from a member here, here is what he said about it:
"So there are no surprises this rifle has been to Kimber for poor accuracy and feeding. The feeding was corrected by Kimber. The accuracy problem was later attributed to a bad crown and a mag box that was screwing with the bedding job. It was sent to Hill Country Rifles for a check up and they kissed the crown and pronounced it good to go. I also applied the Ultra bore coat as directed and it works very well. Of course as it usually goes the rifle immediately went sub moa with almost everything tried. The stock was done in a base of duracoat with a multicoat speckled finish over the top that leaves a nice texture."

I asked about reloading for it when I thought I would train myself to learn a new safety and here is what I have in response:
"I only know the 125 partitions shot really well with both Ramshot Hunter and H4350. I kick myself for letting that one go, lots of hair pulled to get it where it is now. I recall most loads were towards the top of book max but I never really played to much, once the 125s hit the 3/4moa mark at about 2900fps I stopped right there.

Good luck and let me know if you need anything else. I remember everything I did to the rifle very well to get it to shoot. The biggest problem was the recoil lug being to long and causing a pressure point in the stock, once that was handled and the crown was cleaned up it shot very well.

I know the OAL was all based on magazine length feeding, never messed with single feeding. The only one I recall being finicky after all the work was done was the light weight X bullet, cannot remember which weight but I wanted to match it with the light Hornady Vmax, I think 95gr, as two loads that will do it all. The Vmax was unbelievable, I shot a 90 dog in the neck as it was chasing sheep and it was almost a decapitation, dont plan on keeping any meat if you smack something with that.

I know I work up cases of that size .3gr at a time and it showed a real consistent pattern of the groups shrinking as I approached the max book loads. It was simply a matter of not beating myself up over the last 1/4moa, just get something MOA and go kill stuff!!"

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q397/jonseim/Kimber/P8230299.jpg[/img]

There is one spot on the grip that the cerakote has chipped off. It is about as big as a pinhead, shows up in this pic the best, it is right on the corner at the top in the pic.
[img]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q397/jonseim/Kimber/P8230297.jpg[/img]

And finally a shot of the sunset off my porch last night, it was magical
[img]http://i349.photobucket.com/albums/q397/jonseim/Kimber/P8230291.jpg[/img]

Feel free to ask questions or just say you'll take it.
First I'll take it will get it. My experience with shipping has been that it will be less than $25 via Fed Ex to your FFL I will split actual shipping with you.
Thanks for looking

Keep Smiling
GB1

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Jon's a good guy - buy w/ confidence.

Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
pm sent

J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks Westy, appreciate the good words.
Hardway, PM returned, not looking for any trades at this time, first baby coming in 5 weeks, scared and excited are the two most appropriate words for feelings these days.

Keep Smiling
W
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
W
i'll trade you 5 boxes of diapers, a case of formula and some excedrin smile

hint..... have a dozen roses waiting for your wife when you get home with your baby.

boy or girl?

congrats!!!

woofer

"I would build one again, if it were not for my 350RM (grin)."

MtnHtr
IC B2

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
2nd on Jon being a good guy to deal with. i'll trade you that wolverine back for the kimber!

good luck from one soon-to-be-father to another!

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Ok guys Im a moron, it was my rifle and it was not the recoil lug that was to long as relayed to Jon. It was the little lug on the back of the magazine well. It was bedded and everything looked good but then shot like crap on the range. The mag well has a little leg on the back and it was to long, when the well was put in and the screws tightened it basicly was binding the action and stressing it right in the middle. Took a little bit of the back of the mag well, just enough it would float when the action screws were tight and groups instantly shrunk. Lost a lot of hair figuring that one out.

Great shooter and the 125partitions at 2900fps will work on a lot of stuff. Im in the middle of a move and will be digging up my notes in the next week or two to get all the load info.

Todd

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks for the kind words and offerings thus far. I think I will have to pass on the trade offers listed above, although the case of diapers, formula and excedrin might come in handy soon.
Not sure if it is a boy or girl, but the surprise is about to be out of the bag. Will take the advice and have roses for the return trip home, not sure how that will work, but seems like a great idea.
SmallJawbasser, good luck to you as well. Hope that Wolverine has killed some deer. I might want it back before long, could be a good kid gun.
Today's special deal, take the rings/bases (the Talleys) for the $900 price tag.
Varmintsinc gives it a thumbs up for loads with a popular great bullet, the 125 partitions are hard to beat on any game.
With over 350 views thus far, is/are there reasons there are no takers? Feel free to offer constructive criticism or make offers.
Thanks for looking

Keep Smiling
C
CCH Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It's a nice gun and all but just doesn't have the cachet of your H&R 20 gauge pocket gun (Jon has deep pockets). Here's another vote in the "good guy" category. Don't hesitate to deal with Jon.

I have a high chair getting donated tomorrow that I'll swap you for the scope. laugh

J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Early morning bump. That $60 or so I spent on that short little shotgun emptied me out for awhile but fit well in my 36" inseam pockets. I will pass on the high chair as well for the scope, but thanks for the offer. smile Will keep you in mind after the shower this weekend to determine needs.

Keep Smiling
IC B3

J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Free shipping to lower 48 for $900.
Includes: sweet lightweight mountain gun, cerakoted, great trigger, a happy father to be, a bore guide, kimber bases for leupold rings (dd and windage).
Take the Talleys for $15 more.

I figure that is a $15 discount off yesterdays price as shipping will be ~$25-30.
If anyone has a Bob Revolution jogging stroller, that would be of prime trade interest smile
Thanks again

Keep Smiling
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Send it back to the top, from the # of .260's on the first 100 listings, lots of folks must have tried and disliked them. I replaced this one with a Remington and an Encore barrel from MGM. It kills things dead at close and distant ranges. The 125 partitions are moving well and hit like a brick.
This one has been tweaked, no more hassles, just a good, clean, gun that shoots well and carries like a dream.

$890 shipped, 905 with the Talleys.
Feel free to offer criticism, ask questions, make offers, worst I can say is no.
Thanks for looking

Keep Smiling
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'm betting that its not selling because its a 6.5...

If it makes the group feel better, there's nothing in the state of Montana that I wouldn't shoot with a 260. Shouldn't have any troubles knocking on 2900 FPS with the 125 Partition over some RL19, or the various 4831's.

If I didn't give my gunsmith 700 bucks 8 months ago to put together another 260 on a 700 action, I'd be all over this one.

The 260 is pretty much the Bud Light 270...

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by DanAdair
The 260 is pretty much the Bud Light 270...
Exactly Lol. Recent thread on campfire, member shot all African plains game using a compact Ruger .260rem.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
One step further, JD Jones I believe of SSK shot ALOT of game using a 6.5 JDJ, a 225 Win case, in a 14" or so contender, pushing 120 Speers and Ballistic Tips around 2450 IIRC.

Shot placement with good bullets thru vitals work like a charm, no matter the headstamp, and 'Bud Light' recoil helps get it done wink

J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
6.5 is the business, many consider it the do all round. It kills without the punchback of .30-06.
I like my 06's, but have found the .260 to be just as effective and much more easily shot in the field and range for recoil tolerance. I am 6'4", 230lbs, but don't walk into bars looking to get punched by the biggest guy around, (point in fact, I don't walk into bars to get punched by anyone, I walk in to have a frosty beverage and hang with friends). If you are going to get hit multiple times, hope it is not the biggest guy around.
Vitals=good, practice=good, practice and vitals=dinner.

Thanks for the kind words gentlemen, make it $895 with the Talleys.

Keep Smiling
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Let's bump it up one time tonight, somebody wants a Kimber that shoots, just let me know who it is.

Keep Smiling
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
$875 and split shipping is as low as I can go on this rifle. Someone wants to make it a very happy 36th week of 1st baby, 4 weeks to go (+ or - 4 weeks).
Let me know where to send this beauty, if you have been thinking about it, don't wait to check in the morning to type a post I often see here:
Put me 2nd in line if a deal falls through.

Thanks

Keep Smiling
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
SPF to a gentleman who will be new to the campfire here shortly. It was a pleasure talking to him and I look forward to seeing the bear/deer/moose that this rifle takes in the hands of his kids.
Thanks a bunch to SpenceG who set me up with a lead.

My newborn child (in ~4 weeks) will appreciate the Bob Revolution as we run the hills of CO based on this sale.

Enjoy the evening all.

Keep Smiling
J
JonS Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
It arrived at his FFL on Thursday, he took it out and sighted it in with his son. His 15 year old son killed a 175 lb black bear with it on Saturday. Glad to know a good deal can still be had here on the fire. Love to post about the good experiences.
I shipped the gun before check arrived and didn't actually deposit his personal check until the same day his son killed a bear with it.
Communication is the key, been on the phone with him for the last hour regaling tales of hunting and life.
Low round counts don't mean as much to me as good communication.
His name is Mac, not sure what his screen name is, but deal with him in confidence.
Hope he posts up here soon so we can all know a welcome face on the fire!

Keep Smiling
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

268 members (1_deuce, 10gaugemag, 17CalFan, 17Fan, 1beaver_shooter, 29 invisible), 2,087 guests, and 1,071 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,745
Posts18,495,180
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.