Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14
#4411549 09/14/10
J
joed49 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
I've been thinking about converting one of my bolt actions to either .220 Swift or .22-250. I've had a few of the .22-250's but but never a .220 Swift. Anyone ever had one? What's your thoughts on the Swift?

GB1

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
The Swift is a good round, but for high volume shooting, I'd go with the 22-250. Brass is cheaper, it is just as effective, and much more readily available.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
If you want fast, build a Swift, if you want almost as fast build a 22-250. I have 2 Swifts, but load for and also like 22-250's. Brass for the Swift is readily available, and it is not hard to load for, been running them since 1976 and have had no problems. If you run full throttle you will go thru some brass, but the same would be true of the 22-250.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Build the Swift, once you have the brass it doesn't make any difference in reloading. Swift brass is easy to get and it isn't expensive. The Swift is the classic .22 high velocity round, get it and be done. I use an RCBS "X" die to reload, and it gives extra life to your cases.

Mine shoots varmint accuracy with the loads run through a Dillon 650, so I can do mass shooting and reloading. The 22-250 can do almost anything the Swift can do, but almost isn't the same. You will find the Swift to be an inherently accurate cartridge as well.

Choose your action, I prefer Sako, then put a Lilja barrel on it and go shooting. I call Dan Lilja every time I have a rifle built and have him put the twist in the rifling to stabilize the particular bullet I am going to shoot. Then I send what parts I have to Dennis Olson in Plains, MT and have him do the rest...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I almost forgot, this is what you will experience...

[Linked Image]

Last edited by shrapnel; 09/14/10.

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
You really should consider the 22/250 AI, lots of advantages,

You can forget brass trimming for this cartridge.

IC B2

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
+1

Also, if you run low on ammo on a varmint hunt you can find ammo at almost any retailer, even Walmart. Try that with a Swift.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by keith
You really should consider the 22/250 AI, lots of advantages,

You can forget brass trimming for this cartridge.

My sentiments as well.

HAve had twol, will build another someday soon (Or maybe a 22/6mmAI, or another Cheetah smile )

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
J
joed49 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Shrapnnel, you're a man after my own heart! Already have the action which is a Savage 10FP presently chambered in .223. I'm looking at converting it to .220 Swift. Had 3 of 5 responders on another forum tell me I'm crazy for converting it saying it's not cost effective to convert.

This whole idea came about because I feel the .223 is the most inadequate cartridge I've ever seen for groundhog hunting in OH. I need something that goes long distances without the trajectory of a rainbow.

Thanks all for the info, I'm still deciding.

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by doubletap
+1

Also, if you run low on ammo on a varmint hunt you can find ammo at almost any retailer, even Walmart. Try that with a Swift.

What planet are you from? What Walmart stocks 22-250 AI ammo and not 220 Swift?

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I always hear that argument about ammo availability. May be a problem for some, but in over 50 years of hunting, me and the guys with me, never had to run to town because we ran out of ammo. IMO if you want to go through the extra step of fireforming to do what a Swift does then go for it. I am constantly amazed at the lengths people go thru to avoid the best .224 ever chambered. JMO

IC B3

J
joed49 Offline OP
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
J
Luke, that is why I haven't considered the .22-250 AI. It seems to be reinventing the wheel. The AI is a great cartridge but why when the .220 does the same thing.

I really want the Swift but I had someone tell me I'll have feed problems if I use 55 gr bullets in the Swift as the Savage action is short.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Both mine are Ruger 77 tang safety models. I don't recall if they're long or short. I run 40, 50, 55, and 60 gr Hornady HP and have had no feeding or extraction issues. I don't know about the Savage, but grab a box of 55 gr a give it a try.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by shrapnel
Originally Posted by doubletap
+1

What planet are you from? What Walmart stocks 22-250 AI ammo and not 220 Swift?

You are kidding, right? Most of the one's around here stock 22-250 ammo, which works great in the AI version albeit with slightly reduced velocities. Pretty sure you know/ knew this.

I sure like your taste in rifles, BTW, real beauties in a big way. My varmint rifles have pretty good wood on them too. More fun in my view.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by joed49
Luke, that is why I haven't considered the .22-250 AI. It seems to be reinventing the wheel. The AI is a great cartridge but why when the .220 does the same thing.

I really want the Swift but I had someone tell me I'll have feed problems if I use 55 gr bullets in the Swift as the Savage action is short.

I like oldy moldy cartridges better than most (Have stuff like a 30 Belted NEwton, 348 etc etc. ) BUT for varmint shoooting give me a round that does not require lots of trimming and is easy on brass as well as easy to load for. Another great idea would be to go 220AI or the nearly identical 220 Weatherby Rocket. THOSE would be fun, cool and FAST!

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger

BUT for varmint shoooting give me a round that does not require lots of trimming and is easy on brass as well as easy to load for.

I will put my laziness against all the above mentioned options of AI calibers, There is no worry about brass stretching when you use the RCBS "X" die. I don't want any unnecessary steps in turning fired brass into another reloaded cartridge. I load my Swift in a Dillon 650 and get consistant loads and have no need for trimming. Spend your time and money on a barrel and stock, chamber it for 220 Swift and go shooting. It is a time tested and proven round, anyone that wants to argue this point any further can come to Montana and we'll settle this with knives and a leather thong!!!

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
The case trimming issue comes up everytime the Swift is talked about. I load for 10 or so other generic cartridges, and I have to trim everyone of them after a few firings. I think most of us as a matter of habit and safety check case length everytime we reload them. The Swift when pushed hard will stretch, but that is little to worry about when the end result is seen. As you can tell, I love the Swift.

C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Man,there is just "something" about driving a swift. Creatures used to shudder everytime I would drag one of mine out. Don't presently have one, but one of these days, I'll have another. It is surely a bad cat!

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I LOVE my swift. If mine wasn't so G D heavy I'd take it out every time. There is just something cool about the swift.

There are some issues with it though. Lots o powder gets used up, it gets hot fast, and it stretches the heck out of the cases but still, it's a swift.

Last edited by Yotechaser; 09/18/10.
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Originally Posted by joed49
Shrapnnel, you're a man after my own heart! Already have the action which is a Savage 10FP presently chambered in .223. I'm looking at converting it to .220 Swift. Had 3 of 5 responders on another forum tell me I'm crazy for converting it saying it's not cost effective to convert.

This whole idea came about because I feel the .223 is the most inadequate cartridge I've ever seen for groundhog hunting in OH. I need something that goes long distances without the trajectory of a rainbow.

Thanks all for the info, I'm still deciding.

Must be some bang damn groundhogs in OhighO. You're just using the wrong bullet, mostly.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There may be an other explanation, which is a lack of shooting skills.

I now use a 17FB, or 204 Ruger, but there is nothing wrong, and a lot of things right, with the 223.

Steve

Page 1 of 14 1 2 3 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

68 members (AnthonyB, 01Foreman400, beefan, 300_savage, 6 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 802 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,503
Posts18,490,593
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.