Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
OP Offline
R
Hello all. I'm new to the forum and I have enjoyed lurking and learning for a little while and now I need some help.

I am in the market for a new hunting pack. My hunting setup has been evolving over the past few years. It's been a slow process, partly because I'm hard headed and trying to force what I have now to work and partly from lack of knowledge and experience with all the different products out there. I've decided this year is the year to develop my system and setup to be as efficient and user friendly as possible. I've looked at a bunch of different pack companies and I've pretty much settled on Mystery Ranch.

Here are my wants and needs from a pack. I hunt mostly public land, so I usually have to hike a good distance to get away from the crowd and I have to pack everything in and out most of the time to keep it from walking off on its own. I need the pack to be able to handle two different types of tree stand setups.

1) Climbing sticks and lock-on
2) Lone Wolf Hand Climber

Most of the MR packs have the horizontal compression straps and bed roll straps or some other system to easily and efficiently accommodate those stand setups. My issue is really about weight.

I'm torn between the Dragon Slayer and the Long Bow. My main question is the ability of the "internal frame" of the Dragon Slayer to handle the 35 - 45 lbs easily and comfortably. I put "internal frame" in quotes because the rep. at MR said the Dragon Slayer doesn't really have any support stays, just the back plate for the yolk and then the harness. I'm wondering if any Dragon Slayer owners have any experience toting around this kind of weight and bulk with this pack.

My only hangup with the Long Bow is the weight of the pack. At 6 lbs 8 oz, it's considerably heavier than the 4 lb 4 oz Dragon Slayer. However, I realize that 47 lbs and comfortable is much preferable to 45 lbs and uncomfortable.

I also realize the advantage of the expandability and versatility of the Nice frame, but if I don't need it now then why pay extra for it and have to carry it around all the time.

Ideally, what I really need is someone who has shouldered both packs with around 45 lbs in them to tell me about there experience and compare and contrast the two packs.

Thanks for any suggestions, opinions and observations.

Robert Merrell

Last edited by RMerrell; 09/13/10.
GB1

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
MR Bighorn is your huckleberry.

[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

R
OP Offline
R
I looked at that one as well. The MR rep said that one does have stays which will support a load. It's just a little too big. I can get by with less the 2000 ci without too much difficulty. 2400 ci is pushing the limits of what I actually need. I'm afraid if I get 3000 ci, I will use all 3000 ci. and put myself in the 50 - 60 lb range, which is getting ridiculous for day hunts

Also, that pack weighs 5 lbs 13 oz, so there isn't a significant amount of difference in weight between it and the Long Bow at 6 lbs 8 oz to pass up on the versatility and expandability of the Nice frame.

Robert

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
I have a Nice frame with Crew Cab pack and have tested the Snapdragon (Dragonslayer's predecessor) and 3 day assault with 40 lb loads and the Nice frame system wins hands down. I also tested a Big Sky and it was better due to its X frame but it is still maxed out for comfort at about 50 lbs. The Nice is just getting warmed up at 40-50 lbs. I have no doubt the smaller packs can take the weight and probably more but they just don't have the suspension to comfortably carry it.

Of course this is just my opinion. Pack fit and comfort is very subjective.

Campfire Ranger
Online Sleepy
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
MR Bighorn is your huckleberry.

[Linked Image]

MtnHtr

I think MtnHtr is right on here. 45 lbs is just getting started with the Bighorn.

Screw you! I'm voting for Trump again!

Ecc 10:2
The heart of the wise inclines to the right, but that of a fool to the 24HCF.
IC B2

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
The Longbow goes with the NICE frame so go Longbow/NICE like BB recommends. It will haul alot more with more comfort than the Bighorn. The Bighorn maxes out around 70-80lbs in my estimation (most I've had is 45lbs in mine)

I threw the BH out there since you seem to be set on a pack without the NICE.

MtnHtr

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
The Big Horn would be an awesome hunting pack as long you weren't planning to do any long pack outs with heavy meat loads. I really liked how the Big Sky (the Big Horn minus the hunting bling) rode on my back. Narrow and low profile. Great day or two hunting pack. I like having the extra room for storing my glassing clothing (teeth chattering and spotting scopes don't mix).

Brian

R
OP Offline
R
It's not so much the fact that the Nice frame is external as it is the additional weight it brings into the equation. I know their pros and cons to both, but I don't think I have a bias towards an internal versus external as long as the pack fits me and is well balanced and at a reasonable weight.

Cost is a little bit of a hang up though. The Dragon Slayer is $160 cheaper, but if it's not right for what I want, then I'm willing to shell out the $$$ for something that is. I'm tired of messing around.

Robert Merrell

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RMerrell
It's just a little too big. I can get by with less the 2000 ci without too much difficulty. 2400 ci is pushing the limits of what I actually need. I'm afraid if I get 3000 ci, I will use all 3000 ci. and put myself in the 50 - 60 lb range, which is getting ridiculous for day hunts

Robert

No, its not too big. I'll PM you some cookies and you will like.

MtnHtr

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by MtnHtr
It's just a little too big. I can get by with less the 2000 ci without too much difficulty. 2400 ci is pushing the limits of what I actually need. I'm afraid if I get 3000 ci, I will use all 3000 ci. and put myself in the 50 - 60 lb range, which is getting ridiculous for day hunts

Robert

No, its not too big. I'll PM you some cookies and you will like.

MtnHtr

It definitely looks like it rides well. I really like the stickit pocket, it adds a lot of functionality. Are the bedroll straps separate from the stickit pocket, so that both can be used for separate items at the same time?

Robert

IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Are the bedroll straps separate from the stickit pocket, so that both can be used for separate items at the same time?

Robert

Yes

MtnHtr

R
OP Offline
R
Well, it seems the Dragon Slayer is out due to its load carrying limitations and now the Big Horn is back in. Has anyone toted both the Big Horn and the Long Bow (or Crew Cab) with around 45 lbs in it? Can you compare and contrast in terms of suspension and comfort?

Kifaru sells an accessory that they call a "grabit" which is the same thing as the "stickit" on the MR. Does anyone know if the "grabit" can be integrated into a MR pack using the PALS? I think the "grabit" uses a three bar ring that inserts into a square ring attached to the Kifaru packs as its attachment points.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Welcome to the forum. The only Mystery Ranch pack I've used and own so far is the Big Horn. I love that pack. I often hike and hunt alone so I tend to pack more in case of emergencies. I always carry enough stuff in case I have to spend a night out or an extra night. (cell phones don't work where I go) You stated that you might be afraid of filling up your pack with that much room. However, that room gives you more flexibility to adjust to the different weather or length trips.

It carries 45 pounds very comfortably. This is coming from someone who had back surgery on an L4 disc in 97. Back pain is the gift that keeps on giving. I have never had my back hurt carrying 40-45 pounds in it. The extra weight for the better suspension is worth it. When I put the pack on the weight just disappears. I'll have to report back after this weekend as I'm going on a trip that doesn't have any water so I'll be packing a little heavier than usual.

In short the Big Horn would be a good pack for what your' describing. My only regret is I didn't get one sooner. Plus if it doesn't work out I hear MR is good about returns. Yes it costs more and weighs more but it makes up for it in room and with a better suspension. You're going to need some weight in order to carry weight in comfort.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd post some pics of mine if I knew how. If you look close at my avatar by the bottom of the flag pole is my Big Horn.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Robert welcome to the forum.

I have multiple MR packs including 6500, Big Sky (upgraded to Bighorn) and sweetpea (aka 3-Day assault). Had a crew cab for a while but sold it now regretting that move.

50 pounds of normal gear versus 50 pounds of meat are completely different in how it carries. What you intend to carry can influence the internal/external debate.

The only difference in the frame of a Big Sky and Bighorn is the diameter of the X-bracing. With the possibility of carrying dense loads of game meat, MR added the stiffer rods in the bighorn to maintain a better percentage distribution of shoulder/waist weight.

The stickit flap of the Bighorn does have a plastic reinforcing sheet (it isn't a floppy flap). I can easily carry a lock-on tree stand.

I don't think you can go wrong with either the dragon slayer, bighorn or longbow. If you intent to go larger in pack size, I would probably suggest the NICE platform of packs.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just went through the same dilemma - sort of anyway. I was trying to decide between the Dragon Slayer and the Big Horn for a pure daypack. I really liked the Big Horn - more $$$ but also more pack, and what I really liked about the Big Hron was the piece attached to the front of the pack that you can store things under - the sling for better word I guess.

But I ended up with the Dragon Slayer and so far am really happy with my choice. I've only done a couple day hikes and no hunting out if it but so far its really perfect. And fortunately my girlfriend is a whizz with a sewing machine, so i showed her the sling on the Big Horn and she is sewing me one to attach that will be almost a perfect match and get me the same feature as the Big Horn.

Anyway, I'm not sure will have a bad choice with either one, great service from them by the way.

Good luck on your decision.

"Rather hunt Mule deer than anything else"
"Team 7MM-08"
N
NXP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
I went through this headache not too long ago, I was between the Bighorn and the Longbow.

Ultimately it came down to longevity. I can do everything I do currently with either pack, but if I ever wanted to do more (go west, hunt farther than ever, required to pack out an animal in multiple trips instead of just one, and offer me latitude in future packs), the NICE frame was the way to go. I went with the Longbow.

I'm not at all upset with the purchase, though in all fairness the NICE frame is completely overkill for the hunting I do now.

On the short list to purchase soon is the load sling.

Things I wish MR would consider:

1) Bring back the beaver tail (or an add-on version of the stick-it pocket for packs that don't have it)
2) A few rows of PALS on the load sling.

NXP

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
NXP,

If you want PALS on the load sling and still want to use your longbow, check out the King Cab. It is like having two nice frames. It will allow you to strap on your longbow as well as the load sling.

Now that would be overkill for your hunting!!

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7421/.f?sc=7&category=103497

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
They've added some new packs since the last time I was there. So many packs, so little money.

N
NXP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
N
Originally Posted by huntem
NXP,

If you want PALS on the load sling and still want to use your longbow, check out the King Cab. It is like having two nice frames. It will allow you to strap on your longbow as well as the load sling.

Now that would be overkill for your hunting!!

http://www.mysteryranch.com/s.nl/it.A/id.7421/.f?sc=7&category=103497

Holy crap that's exactly what I had in mind!

I'd never have a use for it right now, but that's just awesome!

Now why does it need to weigh 3.75lbs?! Combined with the Longbow it'd weight more than the 6500 - and I think I'd get more use from the 6500...

Lop a couple pounds off that get-up and it'd be perfect.

Thanks for the link!

NXP

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

559 members (1337Fungi, 10gaugemag, 219DW, 222Sako, 1badf350, 21, 49 invisible), 2,175 guests, and 1,187 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,764
Posts18,476,696
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.