Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

2 kills in 1 shot is marginal, come on now jorge

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
2 kills is hardly a definitive study.

Will it work? Sure. Is it advised for someone without dangerous game experience? Not by me. (Cue music here. Led Zeppelin "Trampled Under Foot")

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The fact that with proper bullets and loads is that it works fine, but it ain't what the traditionalist "think" is adequate, which is the problem of course. It galls them that the Cape isn't "bullet proof"

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by jorgeI
Since everybody's recommending "searches", why don't you do a "search" to see how many Professional Hunters or for that matter clients with significat African experience use and recommend the 45/70. Will it work? absolutely but just like my less effective 405 WCF will also probably work but at least I recognize it for what it is, pushing the envelope with a marginal round. jorge

Chill Jorge, guy asked a question and I gave him advice on what to search for in an answer to his question. Every cartridge has its limitations as anyone with experience knows. If I hit the lottery and could afford a Big 5 trip would I use one, no but I would also have the loot to buy what I wanted or needed. I also agree with the fliching statement made but with the 45-70 load the OP gave, recoil out of the 45-70 is not mild

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

That right there is funny, I don't care who you are... Of course your experience with the cartridges is???

I gave a quick synopsis of my experience with various cartridges. Please share your experience with buff.

"The Democrat Party looks like Titanic survivors. Partying and celebrating one moment, and huddled in lifeboats freezing the next". Hatari 2017

"Hokey religions and ancient weapons are no match for a good blaster at your side, kid." Han Solo
IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

The fact that Brain Piece killed 2 with one shot is apparently lost on you, correct? And again your experience with the 45-70 or like powered weapons?

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Chip, I wasn't directing my response to you, the system just picks up whomever is right before. It was aimed at the dogmatic zealots who continue to espouse the 45/70 as {sic} the best all around cartridge in the world or as a DG round on par with recognized and proven DG cartridges. To be sure, a 45/70 with the right load and someone who knows how to use it like Sharpsguy for example is perfectly adequate for buffalo, lion, etc,(adequate being the operative word) for elephant, rhino or hippo on land I think it's foolhardy.

Lastly, I still never seem to get my question answered on the PHs and experienced clients who rely or recommend the 45/70 for any of the above.

A good principle to guide me through life: “This is all I have come to expect, standard lackluster performance. Trust nothing, believe no one and realize it will only get worse…”
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Spot on jorge. Not sure whom you refer to as to proposing that the 45-70 is the "best" all around cartridge for DG or what ever. I agree with a proper load it will indeed get the job done

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Fair enough Jorge.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by hatari

Will it work? Sure. Is it advised for someone without dangerous game experience? Not by me. (Cue music here. Led Zeppelin "Trampled Under Foot")

I think you missed the point. It was one round that took two buff -- as it it passed through buff 1, and continued through buff two. A twofer.

Max Prasac

Semper Fidelis

The Gun Digest Book of Hunting Revolvers:
https://youtu.be/zKJbjjPaNUE

Bovine Bullet Test
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mmtZky8T7-k&t=35s

Gun Digest TV's Modern Shooter:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nGo-KMpXPpA&t=7s
IC B3

B
BMT Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
B
Dudes . . . . .

You all miss the point.

The 45/70 guide gun is double extra cool and kills game with its "coolness".

Muzzle Energy is simply wasted . . . . . .

BMT

"The Church can and should help modern society by tirelessly insisting that the work of women in the home be recognized and respected by all in its irreplaceable value." Apostolic Exhortation On The Family, Pope John Paul II
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

I think you missed the point. It was one round that took two buff -- as it it passed through buff 1, and continued through buff two. A twofer.

No, I have not missed that point, but I think you have missed mine.

I believe the 45-70 will take cape buffalo, just as I have done with the 9.3 JDJ, 8 mm Mag, and .338 Mag. I cannot give any of those a blanket endorsement to someone inexperienced.
I believe Brian Pierce got enough penetration for a 2 for 1. If I were to follow an unconventional example for DG, I prefer Zeus and his lightning.

Just because a writer got extraordinary penetration one time doesn't make me want to tell the world to try to duplicate the feat. JD Jones has told me that he has gotten 2 feet of penetration in elephants skulls with his .375 JDJ and 270 solids at 1750 fps. That doesn't mean you should run out and try it. You can get 2 feet of penetration with an arrow too. Elephants and Cape buff have been taken with bows. I do not recommend it for tenderfeet.

As wonderful as the 45-70 is, I cannot consider it recommended no matter what Brian Pierce did. If you want to use it, fine! It will kill them. I would not want somebody planning a first time DG safari to think that the 45-70 is the be all end all. There is a reason the countries have minimums, good reasons born of thousands of encounters. I have seen cape buffalo plugged behind the shoulder with such superior cartridges as the .458 mag, and not go down to stay. I've seen them charge when they were down and bleeding. That will give you a healthy respect for them.

Talk to PH's that hunt DG for a living, and ask them what they think. Go hunt them yourself, more than one please, and then report back.

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I've taken Asian Buffalo with a revolver with out fuss or drama and the bullet exited. A 45-70 will certainly shoot through a Cape Buff and a 45 caliber slug that is capable of exiting will most certainly be fatal.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
hatari,
Points well taken. I really didn't consider the idea of the OP having never hunted Africa DG.
Having read yours and others, I understand what you are pointing out. Thanks for keeping it straight and level-headed.
Much appreciated.

Tom

Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by rifletom
Polska,
Brian Pierce of Rifle magazine took his 45-70 to Africa with GREAT results.
I'll locate the article and PM you the loads he used.
Your 45-70 will work just fine.

Tom

thanks man, i appreciate it

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by Whitworth1

No, I have not missed that point, but I think you have missed mine.

I believe the 45-70 will take cape buffalo, just as I have done with the 9.3 JDJ, 8 mm Mag, and .338 Mag. I cannot give any of those a blanket endorsement to someone inexperienced.
I believe Brian Pierce got enough penetration for a 2 for 1. If I were to follow an unconventional example for DG, I prefer Zeus and his lightning.

Just because a writer got extraordinary penetration one time doesn't make me want to tell the world to try to duplicate the feat. JD Jones has told me that he has gotten 2 feet of penetration in elephants skulls with his .375 JDJ and 270 solids at 1750 fps. That doesn't mean you should run out and try it. You can get 2 feet of penetration with an arrow too. Elephants and Cape buff have been taken with bows. I do not recommend it for tenderfeet.

As wonderful as the 45-70 is, I cannot consider it recommended no matter what Brian Pierce did. If you want to use it, fine! It will kill them. I would not want somebody planning a first time DG safari to think that the 45-70 is the be all end all. There is a reason the countries have minimums, good reasons born of thousands of encounters. I have seen cape buffalo plugged behind the shoulder with such superior cartridges as the .458 mag, and not go down to stay. I've seen them charge when they were down and bleeding. That will give you a healthy respect for them.

Talk to PH's that hunt DG for a living, and ask them what they think. Go hunt them yourself, more than one please, and then report back.

i've battled many things in my life, never dangerous game but packs of dirtbags as a security gaurd at a nightclub... i know what i'm capable of and i'm confident I could pull off a safari with my .45-70 if I had to.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
1.) Armchair theory is no substitute for in the field experience

2.) There is a reason countries have minimum ballistic requirements. 100 years of hunting and of human tragedy have forged those requirements.

3.) I do not recommend using a marginal caliber on your first buffalo. Go and get one or two under your belt before trying any stunts. This is from someone who has taken Cape Buffalo with a 9.3 JDJ, 8 mm Mag, .338 mag, 9.3 X 62, and .450/400 NE.

The JDJ was effective, but in retrospect that was a stunt. I no longer handgun hunt. The 8 mm Mag was a surgical strike to the brian. I also consider that a stunt. The .338 was used to to take down a wounded buff on the run acting as a backup. The high shoulder shot put him down. While all three of these cartridges proved effective once, I can't recommend them across the board. The 9.3 X 62 is considered a minimum by many for buffalo, and I agree. I have had great success with the 9.3. The .450/400 is even better but even that hardly knocks them on their butt every time.

Now on to elephant. I have a grand total of one under my belt. Until you have hunted and taken one, theories about what is adequate are about as meaningful as arguing the origins of the universe with a [bleep]. I used the .450/400. Taylor loved that cartridge, but considered it light for elephant in the thick stuff. I will not dispute that. Anything that does not have a lanyard attached to it is on the light side when things get hairy in the jess. The .375 H & H has taken plenty of jumbo, and proven itself again and again, yet cropping officers and PH's generally decide something bigger is better.

Polska needs to talk to some PH's in person about booking a hunt. I can't imagine any allowing him to use the 45-70 on elephant under any circumstance, and not on buff until he has proven himself in the field, and probably over the course of more than one safari.

how is common sense armchair theory? Thats all boloni and I didn't even waste my time reading what you wrote.. it's all boloni, Africa and African rifles are an industry okay, The professional hunters and gun makers make big bucks doing what they do and they are also egomaniacs, does it hurt your ego's that my AMERICAN gun can do just as good if not better then your guns. I shoot a bullet that goes 400 fps slower out of my rifle than your .458 win mag and it's gonna make a big difference, give me a break... what you've just said is all bull [bleep], how is 200 foot pounds gonna make a diffence between putting down an animal or not.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Chip, I wasn't directing my response to you, the system just picks up whomever is right before. It was aimed at the dogmatic zealots who continue to espouse the 45/70 as {sic} the best all around cartridge in the world or as a DG round on par with recognized and proven DG cartridges. To be sure, a 45/70 with the right load and someone who knows how to use it like Sharpsguy for example is perfectly adequate for buffalo, lion, etc,(adequate being the operative word) for elephant, rhino or hippo on land I think it's foolhardy.

Lastly, I still never seem to get my question answered on the PHs and experienced clients who rely or recommend the 45/70 for any of the above.

Whats with the attitude bro, Dogmatic zealots hahaha? your out of your mind. I'll take my .45-70 to Africa and i'll take all the game I want with it some day, and i'll send you pictures if you like..

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member

first of all have you ever shot a .45-70 or owned one, and shot all different types of loads with it, low power, full power, light weight, heavy weight. IF you did you would understand that it is the best all around gun ever made for home defense, dangerous game, deer, even some small game like wolves and coyotes, mountain lions. What makes it superior to your african rifles is that you can customize it's power you can go from low power and light weight for deer and small game, to full power and heavy weight bullets for grizzlies and african game. Plus it has the faster cycling of a lever action and you can hold any where from 6-10 cartridges, making it a perfect all around hunting gun. Go figure, something American is the best, not the first and not the last time.

Guides in alaska carry .45-70's and I think a 1,500 pound kodiak bear would eat your cape buffalo for breakfast.

.45-70

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Polska Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
For all people reading this thread maybe you didn't catch my post properly. THERE IS NO QUESTION THE AFRICAN CALIBERS AND BOLT/DOUBLE GUNS HAVE MORE POWER THAN A .45-70... everybody knows that, BUT IS ALL THAT POWER REALLY NECESSARY?? OTHER THAN FLATTER TRAJECTORY. Again i've seen my 400 grain low power remington load at 1300 fps penetrate through a 12" hickory and keep going and found in the dirt mushroomed the size a silver dollar. If it can go through a tree i'm pretty sure it can go thru an elephant or rhino's skull.

Plus the lever is faster follow up shots, i can pump out 2 or 3 rounds in the time it will take you to pump out one follow up shot with your sluggish bolt gun, and also the recoil will be a more tolerable 40 ft/pds instead of the typical 60-80 of a full power safari gun

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
Page 2 of 11 1 2 3 4 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

527 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 01Foreman400, 1234, 10gaugeman, 17Fan, 62 invisible), 2,323 guests, and 1,273 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,326
Posts18,487,479
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.