Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
I carry 2 of the Gator ATS-34's in my elk pack and only one during deer season.

Just purchased a R. A. Matt knife from a member here that my son might get to try out as well.

I also bought that "super-duper surgically sharp, perhaps over-priced, razor blade set" with 100 blades for skinin' this year. I'm thinkin' they'll work just fine for either elk or deer, but will be a bit more conservative in my caping and skinning approach given you don't want to make any mistakes with these puppies........eek.

Last edited by magnumb; 09/28/10.
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
I've been using Japanease made Browning knives for a few years now and they're great.

You see in this world, there's two kinds of people my friend; those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
I got my wife a Buck Vanguard a few years ago, but I end up taking it with me. Holds an edge too.

jpb Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Fort_Henry_Custom_Knife
As a Dealer and a Hunter I've handled and used alot of different knives.

My choice for a fixed in your price range would be the Spyderco Billl Moran. Amazing value in top notch materials.

I have one of these knives. I was a bit doubtful regarding the shape of the handle (tapers at the butt), but it is one of the most comfortable knives for really extended use (in my case, skinning a moderately big bull moose). The handle has soft rubbery inserts which are easily seen on the orange handle model.

Blade holds a great edge too! It is VG10 -- mine is soon ready to be sharpened for the very first time, and it has been used a lot...

[Linked Image]

Knifecenter.com has them for $US 76, a similar model with orange handle has a bit less up sweep on the blade:

[Linked Image]

John

Last edited by jpb; 09/29/10.
T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I have a handful of knives. I almost always carry 2-3 Gerber LMFs in different sizes. They're light, fairly compact, cheap, and hold a decent edge.

I retired my Buck 110 folding hunter, it does about like the Magnum LST but at 2-3 times the weight. (I wish I had bought one of the titanium handled 110s.) I sometimes carry a Buck Vanguard, but not very often. It's heavy. Same situation with an older Gerber LMF. I have a Buck General I like, it's light for the amount of edge it carries, but the handle material is slick when my hands have blood or fat on them and it increases the chance of getting cut.

My "retired" knives are still in use, they just stay at the truck, in camp, or at home where carry weight isn't an issue.

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I probably have 30 very good knifes I use for hunting, but this is the one I generally pull out of the safe for my Elk hunts.

[Linked Image]

I have at one time or another, boned out several Elk without the need to resharpen, other than simple touch-ups with a steel.

Respects,

Richard

Cat, the other white meat!
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
They may not be "affordable" retail but I really like my Bark river knifes. I found a used one on ebay for less than half and it is high quality.

ddj

Many men go fishing all their lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after. - Henry David Thoreau

The best part of hunting and fishing was the thinking about going and the talking about it after you got back. - Robert Ruark
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I think the Bark River Knife is an offshoot of Marble knifes. I have a Marble Bison series and it is a damn good tool, I've seen some Bark Rivers and they look great.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you want something different at a reasonable price try Svord knives.
They're a New Zealand company who make damn good knives, as plain or fancy as you like.

The original international turd
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
[Linked Image]

"I never thought I'd live to see the day that a U.S. president would raise an army to invade his own country."
Robert E. Lee
IC B3

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I got this one when I joined RMEF and really like it. It is extremely sharp and easy to sharpen and holds the edge well. Rubber handle keeps it from slipping when bloody. If anything, a tad too long, but really does a good job boning elk on the mountain. The guthook is not sharp enough and the handle should be a brighter color so it's harder to loose. The sheath is plenty effective and light. I also carry a custom knife.

http://www.taylorbrandsllc.com/Item..._Desc=elk+hunter&Cat=1&Item=1ELK

Last edited by salmonhead; 10/01/10.

Salmonhead
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by jauntymorel
I'd look at bark river knife and tool, I have the canadian special and love it as a general camp knife. it has a full tang, and is .172" thick of A2, and cuts like the devil.

I bought one of those last winter and got to use it one two caribou last week. I was very pleased with it.

[Linked Image]

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by splattermatic
this one !
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
What kind are these knives? Anza's?

If so, what model please? wink

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by SuperCub
Originally Posted by jauntymorel
I'd look at bark river knife and tool, I have the canadian special and love it as a general camp knife. it has a full tang, and is .172" thick of A2, and cuts like the devil.

I bought one of those last winter and got to use it one two caribou last week. I was very pleased with it.

[Linked Image]

I like the look of that!! Might have to look into one...

Andrew
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C

Proverbs
- A wise man feareth, and departs from evil: but the fool rages, in confidence.
- It is honor for a man to cease from strife: but every fool will meddle.
- Mischief is as sport to a fool: but a man of understanding hath wisdom.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Here's what I use for Elk - a bit big for deer.

It's really a buck knife in sv-30 with a black blade coating

I scratched off the yellow emblem cabelas had put on it.
The rubberized handle makes the grip really non-slip

[Linked Image]

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I really like Knives of Alaska, the Jaeger and the round tip small skinner are great tools. I carry six knives, including my pocket knives, and they pretty much all get used through a gutting/skinning/boning job. I use a Buck folder for the gutting and rougher work and some of the skinning but the Jaeger ends up doing the most cutting. I like the Cold Steel master hunter and mini Pendelton also.

Golden............
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
syubbleduck,
member smiley882 nade it for me.

there's a thread down in the knife forum about file rasp knives, and i posted there and it has a link to more about him.

it's a wonderful knife, did 4 antelope into piece's and could still shave hair with it.

my hunting partner (member huntr) wants one now, after seeing how well t did.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Spotshooter
Here's what I use for Elk - a bit big for deer.

It's really a buck knife in sv-30 with a black blade coating

I scratched off the yellow emblem cabelas had put on it.
The rubberized handle makes the grip really non-slip

[Linked Image]

Same as the Buck Pro-Line Series. I would recommend them highly. I have one and it came from the factory shaving sharp and it stays that way even after skinning and deboning heavy game like elk and moose. I've never seen a knife that can hold a razor sharp edge after heavy use like this one does. If it ever gets dull you can send it back to Buck and they will sharpen it for free. Best knife I have ever owned.

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I picked up a Buck "Folding Alpha Hunter" some years ago, and like it a lot. ATS-34 steel blade that takes an edge nicely, and holds it pretty well. About $60 bucks.

Also have a little fixed blade Gerber "Freeman" with a little 2.5" blade for finer work and caping that didn't cost a fortune, also about $60 as I recall, and I really like this little knife. Takes a better edge than the Buck, though it won't hold one as well it seems. But between the Buck Alpha hunter and the Gerber, I have no problems getting through field dressing and skinning an elk without re-sharpening.

For "gut hook duties" I picked up a Benchmade "rescue hook". Now that is a slick little "knife" that you never know is there until you want it. Unzips the critters great, and is tiny. Great little "single purpose" type of knife that ran about $25 bucks.

My favorite knife, however, is an old (oh, about 1k years old) stone knife I found while scouting for my son's elk hunt years ago, about 400 yards from where he eventually took his elk and first big game animal. Beautifully crafted knife that has since made the first cut on every big game critter we've taken. Sure wouldn't want to have to skin one out with it though! And have no idea how to put an edge on it!

Guns are responsible for killing as much as Rosie O'Donnel's fork is responsible for her being FAT.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

544 members (1234, 10Glocks, 1minute, 16penny, 10gaugeman, 153, 63 invisible), 2,360 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,535
Posts18,472,769
Members73,939
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.