-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
...some of us still "sweep the safety off" when drawing the GLOCK as we would a 1911...just that the safety isn't there...:D...by the way, I do carry between the 1911 type and GLOCK pistol families...closer than some other combinations I have...
Bill

NRA Life Benefactor
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Yep - that's exactly what I find myself doing when I use my wife's Glock - swiping a safety that doesn't exist. I'm actually less concerned with that than the feel of the different grip angles and trigger feels. It still takes concentration for me to shoot a Glock well for those reasons (and that's not necessarily bad) but it's just not as natural as the 1911 for me. As a result I've just stayed with 1911's and similar to keep the manual of arms as constant as possible and to minimize any of these "changeovers".

Thanks to everyone for your thoughts.

Never give up on something you can't go a day without thinking about.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Armen
Originally Posted by stanimal
My question is this - who here regularly uses both a 1911 and a Glock?

I didn't know anyone could do that. Aren't they on opposite ends of the universe or something? grin

[Linked Image]

I'd give that one a 9.5 on the funny meter... Where did you find it?

Please don't feed the trolls!
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
I have carried both 1911s and Glocks as duty guns, as well as competed heavily with both. I think that for the vast majority of regular handgun users, that RJM is correct. The typical owner does not handle and use his/her chosen style of handgun enough to develop unconscious competence with it. They would be better off choosing one system and sticking with it.

Personally, I sweep the thumb safety (like many here) whether it is there or not. The thumb safety has never been the issue that a grip safety is for me. I tend to have a very high grip/really choke up on a gun and have more than once had to readjust to depress the grip safety properly. If it were not an issue, I would deactivate the grip safety on my 1911s. But it would likely be an issue, so I simply don't.

I have no problem switching between Glocks and 1911s, but due to career paths, I have likely spent a bit more time with them compared to the average recreational shooter.

I would imagine a typical B class or better IPSC shooter who shoots a couple of different classes, such as limited and limited 10, would be in this boat as well.

That being said, I spent the previous 4 years shooting a G19 very heavily. In the beginning they felt awkward and too small. Now, through using them so heavily, they seem completely natural and my G21 seems awkward. Before, the G21 and a standard 1911 were like extensions of my hand.

It is all a matter of training to the point of unconscious competence.

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i'm gonna assume that just about everyone approves of the handling characteristics of the 1911...

as to the glock... IMO they handle and point like a loaf of bread...
i pick one up, and i look for the peanut butter jar, and a butterknife...

i am familiar with the issue of switching carry weapons... i switched from a 1911 to the p9s with no difficulty... after losing the p9s i again carried the 1911, and it took some concentration and more than a few rounds of re- accustoming...

"Chances Will Be Taken"

IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by Mackay_Sagebrush
I have carried both 1911s and Glocks as duty guns, as well as competed heavily with both. I think that for the vast majority of regular handgun users, that RJM is correct. The typical owner does not handle and use his/her chosen style of handgun enough to develop unconscious competence with it. They would be better off choosing one system and sticking with it.

Personally, I sweep the thumb safety (like many here) whether it is there or not. The thumb safety has never been the issue that a grip safety is for me. I tend to have a very high grip/really choke up on a gun and have more than once had to readjust to depress the grip safety properly. If it were not an issue, I would deactivate the grip safety on my 1911s. But it would likely be an issue, so I simply don't.

I have no problem switching between Glocks and 1911s, but due to career paths, I have likely spent a bit more time with them compared to the average recreational shooter.

I would imagine a typical B class or better IPSC shooter who shoots a couple of different classes, such as limited and limited 10, would be in this boat as well.

That being said, I spent the previous 4 years shooting a G19 very heavily. In the beginning they felt awkward and too small. Now, through using them so heavily, they seem completely natural and my G21 seems awkward. Before, the G21 and a standard 1911 were like extensions of my hand.

It is all a matter of training to the point of unconscious competence.

Mackay, I'm with you on the high grip on 1911's. I've seen pictures of several old Texas Ranger 1911's and many Rangers wound leather cords around the grip safety to keep it depressed. I doubt they do that today! I also totally agree about the training and practice. They ultimately are much more important than the tool. Best, TP

"The trouble ain't that there is too many fools, but that lightening ain't distributed right." - Mark Twain
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

611 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 61 invisible), 2,414 guests, and 1,230 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,418
Posts18,470,528
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.