Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Nope!! Can't do better than John Wayne.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
What would Yoda do...your ass kick it he would.
[Linked Image]
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Maybe, maybe not. If you hate it 'cause it ain't John Wayne then don't go see it.

I just got back from seeing it and really enjoyed it, I give it a definite thumbs up. All the actors did credit to their parts, especially the actress who plays Mattie. I was worried that Jeff Bridges' voice would seem too affected but you quickly get used to it.

Same story, obviously, with a different take on some of the scenes. A bit darker in many respects than the first one which adds to it in my opinion, but it was also funnier in parts. Different ending which I understand is truer to the novel.

Anyway, if you go into it thinking you won't like it "cause it ain't John Wayne" then you'll just waste your money, because it isn't John Wayne's movie. Go into it with an open mind and enjoy it for what it is - I think the movie stands on its own merits just fine.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Jim in Idaho: I also just got back from seeing it and I was absolutely captivated/blown away!
If anything the story, acting and details were better than the original!
And I am John Waynes #1 fan!
I agree totally the actress that plays young Mattie Ross (Hailee Steinfeld) absolutely steals the show!
And that is something considering the wonderful performances by Jeff Bridges, Matt Damon, Josh Brolin and Barry Pepper!
The acting/directing was simply stunning!
The "new" True Grit excells in every category above the "original" True Grit with one exception - the cinemetography!
The original True Grit was simply one of the best filming jobs EVER done on a movie.
The new True Grit comes close in this category but the original still stands out as superlative.
I was so impressed with it (as were my friends that I hosted) that I am going to have to take it in again on a matinee during the week so I won't be disturbed by other humans during the showing.
I won't betray any of the new "takes" from the movie but I will say this - there were several times during the movie that tears welled up in my eyes as I remembered the lines originally spoken by John Wayne and others and how great a job the "new" actors do!
The attention to detail and realism that the Coen Brothers and Steven Spielberg bring to this movie are better than world class!
Americans have made the best motion pictures in the world for more than 75 years now and this movie does justice to that long tradition.
Another small note - I was VERY impressed with all the wonderful firearms shown and the realism of their useage/effects were perfectly reproduced!
Three cheers for the whole production/movie!
Hip hip hooray!
Hip hip hooray!
Hip hip hooray!
I can not wait to see it again on the big screen.
I highly recommend the "new" True Grit.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Ahhggg, I can't wait to see it! I think we'll see it in the theater in a few days hopefully. I can't wait!

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
ExpatFromOK: The "new" True Grit was filmed in Texas and New Mexico.
The filming locations were VERY pleasing to me.
If you are stating that the original book had the story taking place in SE Oklahoma then I am happy that both sets of producers/directors chose more scenic country to film in.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B2

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Mtcurman: I am certain you will very much enjoy the movie once you get to see it.
If I find anything more of note when I see it again tomorrow afternoon I will give you a heads up and have you look for it.
Enjoy.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
If you are stating that the original book had the story taking place in SE Oklahoma then I am happy that both sets of producers/directors chose more scenic country to film in.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I've always thought you were a f*cking moron. Now you've stated it publicly for everyone else to read. Southeast Oklahoma has some of the most beautiful scenery anywhere and if you didn't have your head buried two feet up your ass, you'd know that too.

Take a look at this, dickweed, this is along the Talimena drive:

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

This is on the Indian Nation Turnpike about six miles north of the Daisy exit:

[Linked Image]

Pull your head out of your ass for future postings and lay off the liberal use of the exclamation points. It hurts my eyes to read the profoundly stupid sh*t you post.

I'd have to agree with you, ExPat. It's aggravating to watch the movie and hear them talk about riding out of Fort Smith, talk of going to places like McAlester, etc. then see friggin' aspen trees, snow capped peaks, and now rocky prairie. If they were bound and determined to film in that scenery, then they should've changed the plot location to there. Maybe have them riding out of El Paso or some other Godforsaken place.

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You hate yourself worse than just about anybody I've ever seen.

I truly hope that one day you find the peace and acceptance in your heart that you are so desperately seeking.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jim in Idaho
You hate yourself worse than just about anybody I've ever seen.

I truly hope that one day you find the peace and acceptance in your heart that you are so desperately seeking.
I firmly believe if there's hate in your heart, you should let it out.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Bricktop: I simply have to again question YOUR MENTAL STABILITY (like so many others have!)!
You obviously have no control of your emotions or your thoguht processes!
Calling someone a "blanking" moron and calling them stupid for making a posting on a movie review thread shows YOU are the one with the incapacitating mental issues!
I simply feel sorry that you are occupying space that a normal, mature, intelligent human being could make so much better use of!
Again I simply feel sorry for you and the fact that you are so squallid and unhappy a human!
I wish that you somehow could transform yourself into a better person but alas I feel you are to bad and to far gone!
Rest in peace my friend - you obviously have NO happiness in this place!
Sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Title correction post.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
I agree didn't like kim darby at all!!!!

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I want to see the new True Grit.

μολὼν λαβέ
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Can't replace the Duke. That said I may give it a look.

"That's what happens when your leaders stop being an American and start being a politician." George S. Patton
[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Dood take some St. Johns Wart or something. Hating that guy in the mirror ain't good. I should know cause every time I look there he is. Lifes to short laugh and have fun some. laugh

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by CharminGuy
Bricktop: I simply have to again question YOUR MENTAL STABILITY (like so many others have!)!
You obviously have no control of your emotions or your thoguht processes!
Calling someone a "blanking" moron and calling them stupid for making a posting on a movie review thread shows YOU are the one with the incapacitating mental issues!
I simply feel sorry that you are occupying space that a normal, mature, intelligent human being could make so much better use of!
Again I simply feel sorry for you and the fact that you are so squallid and unhappy a human!
I wish that you somehow could transform yourself into a better person but alas I feel you are to bad and to far gone!
Rest in peace my friend - you obviously have NO happiness in this place!
Sheesh!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
I'm still wanting to know your credentials as a federal law enforcer, cases you've investigated, etc.

http://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php/topics/3274016/VarmintGuy#Post3274016

You might be a big shot in your local trailer park, but you're just a big [bleep] everywhere else.

Every post you make on the "arts" only reaffirms your status as a bumpkin. Here, have some exclamation points!!!!!!!!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
hey bricktop

I lived in Okla. for 45 years and have driven talimena drive several times

Now I live in northwestern Wyoming just east of jellystone and the view from just my back yard makes southeastern Okla. look like the contents of my toilet

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by johnnyappleseed
hey bricktop

I lived in Okla. for 45 years and have driven talimena drive several times

Now I live in northwestern Wyoming just east of jellystone and the view from just my back yard makes southeastern Okla. look like the contents of my toilet
You like looking in your commode? You should take up reading books if you're looking for an indoor activity. It sure beats crapper-watching. Otherwise, who gives a f*ck? You're from nowhere Ardmore, Oklahoma, a [bleep] oil field town that would dry up and blow away if it wasn't for Interstate 35 running through it and it ain't even close to being part of the old Choctaw Nation or near the Winding Stair Mountains as mentioned in the movie. Cody, Wyoming is nothing but a tourist rest stop full of alcoholic misfits trying to make a living off the Yellowstone traffic during the summer months. Your opinion has all the value of your previously mentioned commode contents.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Me thinks I want to stay away from OK. Too many angry people there just unsafe red dirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

[Linked Image]
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by RAS2
Me thinks I want to stay away from OK. Too many angry people there just unsafe red dirt!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Red dirt is western Oklahoma, black clay is in eastern Oklahoma. And there's no vacancy here.

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

660 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1eyedmule, 1234, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 75 invisible), 3,060 guests, and 1,372 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,230
Posts18,485,651
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.