Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by VernAK
What's a good receiver sight combination to put on my 7600 35 Whelen?

I've always liked the Lyman 57.

GB1

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
I also like the Williams Foolproof because it has no protrusions to catch on brush and truck seats.

Fred

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
These Remington pumps are really popular in Pennsylvania because PA does not allow hunting with semi-auto rifles. In PA, they are the first choice of many for quick second shots. They are referred to as "Pennsylvania machine guns" or "Amish machine guns".

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Some rattled and some didn't. Read that eventually they were given a spacer to eliminate the rattle.

I prefer the old style forend with the grooves in the carbine version. However, the stock had a lot of drop and metal or plastic on the buttstock which didn't make them all that recoil friendly.

One who knows how to work one, can throw bullets out accurately faster than with a semi. If that is important and it's usually not.

The forward push of the pump, once you get comfortable with it allows you to naturally use hand/eye coordination to go to the target. The semi just rocks back and up.

Oh yea, some shot crazy good. Don't know the why of it, but they did.

Last edited by battue; 10/06/10.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JB, That is a great article. My next purchase. How come I didn't get my copy in the mail until yesterday? (10-5-10) You guys are leaving me in your smoke!

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
IC B2

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
John was out of stamps.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Haven't gotten the new RIFLE yet so I'm not sure if the M14's were mentioned. Here's a nice one in .35 Rem I have and another in .30 Rem is waiting to be reassembled after a good cleaning. No provision for a scope but the tang sight is good enough for my eyes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

"My problem lies in reconciling my gross habits with my net income."

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
One of favorite oldies.

laissez les bons temps rouler
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I used to give my dad a bad time about his 7600 pump 30-06 telling him he needed a bolt to have a real rifle. Then, when he died, before I passed the rifle on to my oldest boy, I had the goal of killing a blacktail buck with it. I jumped a nice forked horn hunting in thick cover in a wash in northern Ca, and I missed on my first shot, quickly slapped another round in and dropped the buck. I sat down and just started laughing, and talking to my ole man upstairs above me..........so that's what you were talking about, huh Pops.. ...

My oldest has it now, it's his favorite rifle, and he just used it to take a nice cow elk in Utah. He love's the rifle, and it is extremely accurate.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by RecoilRob
Haven't gotten the new RIFLE yet so I'm not sure if the M14's were mentioned. Here's a nice one in .35 Rem I have and another in .30 Rem is waiting to be reassembled after a good cleaning. No provision for a scope but the tang sight is good enough for my eyes.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think I need one of these!

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by RecoilRob

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

I think I need one of these!

I've got one but I need a tang sight like that. Anybody know where I can get one??

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
If you think a 760 rattles try a Mossberg shot gun and they kill game by the ton

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
VAnimrod, if your 760 doesn't feed well from the newer style magazine, work some cartridges through it slowly and watch what's going on. My 7600 didn't feed well from either style and I tweaked the feed lip angle on my mags and now have no problems. Mine would feed from one side of the mag and sometimes missed picking up a cartridge from the other side. I adjusted the feed lips so the cartridges would rise up a bit higher under the lip. If you mess with the feed lips go slow and do a little adjusting at a time.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I have a 7600 30-06 (Early 90s model) that throws the first shot about 2-3 inches high usually. This is with a very careful, consistent rest. Subsequent shots (2-4) are nearly always under or just at an inch. Just wondering if this problem may be common & has a known cure..

I've tried feeding from the magazine, single loading without the magazine. Resting in various fore and aft positions.

I did just change out the stock to a 20 gauge 870 style & it can now be used with the irons without mashing your cheek into the sharp feeling, poorly designed, raised ridge on the factory 7600 stock (Composite).

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I had a M760 in 30-06, always shot it from the bench with the receiver sitting on the front rest, not the fore end. It's the way to bench these critters.

Never had a problem putting three 150gr Speer Hot Cor loads (57grs of IMR 4350) into an inch or less from the bench, thataway.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
VAnimrod, if your 760 doesn't feed well from the newer style magazine, work some cartridges through it slowly and watch what's going on. My 7600 didn't feed well from either style and I tweaked the feed lip angle on my mags and now have no problems. Mine would feed from one side of the mag and sometimes missed picking up a cartridge from the other side. I adjusted the feed lips so the cartridges would rise up a bit higher under the lip. If you mess with the feed lips go slow and do a little adjusting at a time.

It feeds fine (actually, it feeds faster and slicker than a fat boy at an ice cream stand); the magazine, however is SLIGHTLY oversized and a royal PITA to seat and remove.

That, and it just don't look right.

S
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
S
Does anyone know who made Recoil Robs peep sight. I like it much better than the Lyman that is on my 760.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
oulufinn,

The 760's barrel is supposed to be free-floating, as is the barrel in later 760's. If yours isn't, that may be the problem.

In some rifles the barrel may not float enough, especially toward the front of the forend. That was the case with my .270 760 mentioned in the article. I took off the forend and rasped the barrel channel a little deeper. It turned into a 3/4" rifle.

In older 760's relieving some of the pressure from the brace on the tip of the forend can help.

I bench-test all my 760's and 7600's with the forend resting on the bag, just as I do with bolt rifles.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
My son and I have found a 760/7600 shot using an Uncle Bud's bull bag will hit 1" higher and right (for us) than if using a standard front rest. Our zero for shooting offhand or from field positions is better if a standard front rest was used to zero our rifles.

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
I've tried both ways & still slings first cold shot. Weird. Probably only fired it 40-50 times. Maybe I just need to shoot the hell out of it, heat it up & break the SOB in good..

"The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen" - Dennis Prager LINK

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

563 members (257Bob, 1minute, 1badf350, 17CalFan, 204guy, 75 invisible), 2,372 guests, and 1,367 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,685
Posts18,493,969
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.