Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
what is the advantage to them in a hunting rifle? seems awkward... but what do I know? thanks

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have a couple in praire dog rifles. Seems to help a little to pull the stock into your shoulder for a steadier hold, they aren't the easiest thing to look at though.

`Bring Enough Gun`
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For deliberate shooting (like P-dogs) they are stable. For big game hunting they are very slow to get into action compared to a good quasi English design like the Kimber 8400.

Newt-Condi 2012
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
The large majority I have seen weren't ambidextrous and that wouldn't cut it for hunting (except when used for the aforementioned little critters).

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Many thumbholes are just stocks with a hole in them. I have all my gunsmithing done at Harry Lawson's where some of the earliest thumbholes were produced. Their thumbhole is a concept that goes way beyond just the thumbhole. The stock is shaped to make it light yet help the shooter handle recoil. It was designed for hunting with offhand shooting in mind.

I only have one picture which is a leftie.

Note some of the features: There is a crossbolt safety in the triggerguard, oversized flared recoil pad, straightline stock and shapely lines. The grip is shaped to fit the hand and is canted at a comfortable angle. If I were to get a thumbhole I would pass on the clunky ones and get a Lawson.

They also make laminate versions.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by Azshooter; 10/03/10.
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Dogger
what is the advantage to them in a hunting rifle? seems awkward... but what do I know? thanks

Personally, I like them although they do take some getting used too.

I learned to shoot with a FN Fal, and to this day, a proper pistol grip like those had, or on an AR, feels the most comfortable and "instinctive" to handle. A laminated or wood thumbhole replicates that to a large degree, but does so without the "black rifle" look...

Last edited by Pete E; 10/03/10.
D
Dogger Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
D
I was looking at a Remington Model 7 chambered in of all things 300 RSAUM. Definately not contoured for anyone but a righthanded shooter...

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
That just won't work for me as a big game rifle. I've had to shoot from the left on several occasions.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
From the bench, they are great; in the field, it's another story. Imagine the time, taking your thumb out of the hole, flipping the safety off, and then putting your thumb back in the hole before you could get a shot off. It seems getting your thumb back in the hole whilst shouldering the piece is very ackward.
I tried one for a year and didn't like it.

Aim for the exit hole.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
I really like Thumb Hole stocks. I shoot considerably better with one. Off the bench and off handed. No they are not as fast as a straight grip stock. But I have no need for speed in a rifle. I only stand hunt. My shots are never rushed, and I do not take running shots-so speed is not the issue for me-accuracy is. And as said above I can shoot considerably better off handed with a TH stock.

And yes you can get an ambi. TH stock. The top picture is on ambi. TH stock, made by Richard's Microfit.

The other thing I like about TH stocks is that you get better recoil and muzzle flip control. I have gone to TH's on almost all my serious hunting rifles, except my lever actions. And all LEFTIES!! Tom.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[img]http://i121.photobucket.com/albums/o223/HEAD0001/IMG_0440.jpg[/img]

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 10/03/10.

West By God Virginia
IC B3

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
With an ambidextrous cheekpiece......

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Originally Posted by Steelhead
With an ambidextrous cheekpiece......

NO. But in a pinch you can shoot it right handed. I have done it. Not nominal, but it can be done. With some TH's it can't be done. They slimmed down the section in front of the "hole". Go to their web site and you can read more about it. Here is the link if you wish to learn more about it. We must keep our minds open. Tom.

http://rifle-stocks.com/dualgripthumbhole.htm

Last edited by HOGGHEAD; 10/03/10.

West By God Virginia
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I have an open mind and I know what works for me and maybe if I spent my life in a stand than a thumbhole would just the ticket for a SERIOUS rifle. But I don't and I ain't.

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Lighten up DUDE. You are far too serious. I was only showing what I liked. Sorry if I disagreed with you, but no reason to take it personal. WOW.

And I was only showing how it was ambi. And how it can even be used without putting your thumb in the hole as a regular pistol grip stock. But did you even bother to read the link?? Personally I doubt it.

But then I guess if it is not a "serious" rifle like the ones you have then how could it be any good?? Lighten up, life is too short. Tom.

West By God Virginia
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I like the way a TH stock feels when shouldered but they are ugly as hell . But then again I think the M70 FWT and 700 MTN rifle are the sexiest stocks every made.

WarDamnEagle
S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
I'm very lightened up, of course we ain't talking about using 22 calibers for deer hunting, which you know don't work.

Ambidextrous stocks are a concession not worth making.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
[quote=Steelhead]I'm very lightened up, of course we ain't talking about using 22 calibers for deer hunting, which you know don't work.

Is that the one that Way over penatrates?

WarDamnEagle
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Out of all my rifles I have two thumbholes. I'm a stand hunter and I think thumbholes are great for that use. I love the feel you get when you shoulder them, they feel very secure and everything just seems to line up. But, if I decide to walk and stalk on a day I take something else.
LH 270 Rem. BDL
LH 50cal, Knight MK85
[Linked Image]

Last edited by jbmi; 10/04/10.

"The older I get, the better I was"
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I only have one, but it is very comfortable in the stand or at the range. Having your trigger hand in that upright position is just more natural to me. My gun is left-hand stock with right hand bolt. Works great for a left eyed, right handed shooter like me.
Of course, I have lighter guns if I planned on a long hike or a long stalk.

SH, over the years I have had to make a right hand shot only a couple times. Last week at a pig because I was driving and he was almost behind the truck. Seems more important in turkey hunting where the birds might spot the extra movement. But I don't expect a deer to survive the slight turn necessary for me to shoot with my preferred shoulder.

stumpy

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Some time ago I put a thumbhole stock on a Ruger 10-22 T 22 that I used for spring prairie dog shooting. I like the way it handled . I also have a 223 Rem Howa 1500 Varmint that came with a thumbhole stock. I dident care for the small forearm on the Rem 700 LS 221 Fireball rifle so I put a Boyds thumbhole varmint stock on it and have another one on order from Boyds to put on my 17 Fireball Rem 700 rifle. I shoot the rifles off a bench rest to develope reloades but most of my shooting is at prairie dogs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

99 members (7mm_Loco, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 44automag, 99Ozarks, 673, 18 invisible), 1,490 guests, and 969 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,118
Posts18,483,487
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.