Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks for all the congrats guys. I was actually out on my annual moose trip with my BIL who had a tag. We got to the area on Thursday afternoon, set up camp, and decided to go for a rip on the quads to see the cutlines and how the area had changed over the years. The first clearing we went into we saw a bull elk disappear into the bush. The next day we saw two bull moose and got one (a 2 year old) and spent the day getting that out. On Saturday we raised another couple bull moose in the morning and then I sat in a ground blind overlooking the waterhole the elk was at in the evening hoping that he would come back. A little bull moose came out instead, so I had fun cow calling him in until he literally ran to within 70 yards. On Sunday we raised another bull moose in the morning, a cow in the afternoon, and sat in the blind again for the evening. A 50"+ bull moose came to the edge of the clearing. Wanting some video of him, I cow called and gave a couple bull grunts. He disappeared only to circle around the clearing and come in behind us. He ended up less than 50 yards away working over trees and grunting to vent his anger! Eventually he moved off. Figuring that everything was probably scared out of the area we packed up with 10 minutes of light left. On the way back to the quads we spotted this bull elk on the cutline about 150 yards away silhouetted against the sunset. It didn't take me long to get a bead on him and put him down! I ended up finding the 150 grain Nosler Partition on the far side, under the hide.

I know he isn't that big, but I'm thinking of getting a european mount done of him to remember him by. I figure having the bullet there too would be kind of neat.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Sorry to revive an old thread, but I thought I would post pictures of the european mount I had done of this elk.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

It took 10 months to get it back, but the beetles did a good job of cleaning it up.

SS

"To be glad of life because it gives you a chance to love and to work and to play and to look up at the stars. To be satisfied with your possessions but not content with yourself until you have made the best of them."
-Henry Van Dyke
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Nice job!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I like that old world look...

You're Welcome At My Fire Anytime

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

524 members (1_deuce, 1936M71, 219DW, 260Remguy, 1OntarioJim, 01Foreman400, 56 invisible), 1,691 guests, and 1,232 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,109
Posts18,522,728
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.