Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Thanks guys!

I'll do more checking...Getting closer, got $1200. in the "kitty" now.

Virgil B.

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
One more question,

Can't seem to pull up Cooper rifles on gunbroker.

Could someone post a "link" ?

Found Coopers on GunsAmerica. Wow! there is some GOOD LOOKING Cooper on there!

Thanks! Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 11/07/10. Reason: spelling
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Found a Cooper that I like at First Stop Guns.

Now all I need is more CASH! (grin!) It's $1500.

Virgil B.

Last edited by vbshootinrange; 11/07/10.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
WOW!!!

Found another That I like REALLY WELL, at Hendershots..

Beautiful wood, and a stainless/fluted barrel.

Looks like the "ante" on this one is $1999.95

Got to sell some more un-used guns, and work some more OT!!

Virgil B.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How often does that Mountie get used?? wink

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
If there is a particular model you are looking for, Cooper will give the names of dealers that were shipped that particular model recently. Most dealers now have the capability to email photos of whatever they may have in stock.
I did this recently to find a Jackson Game Rifle in 6.5x284.

Whittaker's in KY have great prices, but will not email any photos.

Last edited by jcf3202; 11/13/10.
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
jcf3202,

Thanks for the info! got another source now..

George, I don't shoot the Mountie much anymore. It's a great shooting rifle, It's just that I have several others that get used more.

If your intrested, I NEED CASH for my soon to be Cooper! (grin!)

Virgil B.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Search River oF Guns for "Cooper" everynow and then. You may come across a nice used one as well. I picked up this Model 57 Custom Classic used.

[Linked Image]

Last edited by jcf3202; 11/13/10.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Beauuuutiful.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Wow!

That's one good looking Cooper!

What cal. ?

Virgil B.

IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Use the search engine over on Gunsamerica.com. They usually have a decent selection of new/used. Picked my Custom Classic M57 with French walnut earlier this year.

Alan

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Alan,

Dat's one good looking Cooper!

Thanks for sharing!

Virgil B.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Vbsshootingrange: These folks in Ronan, Montana are Cooper dealers and they are not to far from the Cooper manufacturing plant.
I do not have personal knowledge of a "connection" between the Cooper folks and Ronan Sports but I DO know that over the years they have consistently had in stock the most beautiful Coopers of ANY stocking dealer I have visited - and I have visited a lot of them!
You might give these folks a call and/or just drive over there one weekend and look see what they got - its not far from Oregon!
Good luck in your search.

Local.comWeb ResultsMontana Great Outdoor Store Ronan Sports and Western
Montana Great Outdoor Store Ronan Sports and Western 204 Highway 93 South Ronan, MT 59864 USA 1(406)676-3701 or Fax # 1(406)676-3703 Open 9am to 6pm Daily ...

www.sportswestern.com/

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I also pass through Ronan several times a year and stop in at Ronan Sports. They do have a good many Coopers in stock, I have only purchased one from them though because contrary to VG's opinion of "beautiful" Coopers unless the wood is an upgrade they have standard AA Cooper wood on them which can be a hit and miss proposition. When you start paying for wood upgrades the rifle price jumps quite a bit.

I know quite a few of the folks at the Cooper facility and I am usually there at least a half-dozen times a year. I have seen some wood rated as AA that is knockout beautiful and then I have seen some that is rated as AA+ and AAA that did not look any better than the standard AA.

I would not purchase a Cooper that I could not at least see a picture of the wood on because the beauty of wood is purely subjective. It is like women - what catches one mans fancy doesn't do a thing for someone else.

I have always had good luck with Mark at Gunsamerica, if you don't see what you are looking for on GA take a look at http://www.firststopgun.com/. Also you may want to give a call because quite often they have Coopers that may not be listed either on their website or GA. They also generally have some used Coopers for sale.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Drover, Varmit Guy,

Thanks for the info! Got another source now...(grin!)

I'll keep looking! (hoping to have the CASH soon!)

Virgil B.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A friend of mine got the rare screwed up Cooper - it's a .17 HMR. He is a gunsmith, so he knows what's wriong with the gun.... the headspace is 10/1000ths off (the heads of fired cases look like the round heads of screws,) the crown is messed up - you can feel the jagged edges with yourr fingernail - and the gun wouldn't shoot into less than 3 inches at 100 yards.

Cooper is refusing to give him his money back...he is going to cut the gun into pieces with a chop saw and put them on a plaque at our gun club. He paid $1781 for it, and after the way he's been treated, he doesn;t want a replacement gun - just hi smoney back in exchange for the gun.

I was really surprised, as I would think that Cooper would want this unsafe and unsatisfactory rifle back! (Besides the lack of customer service this demonstrates...)

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
It happens sometimes, and I am surprised when it does, that the manufacturer sometimes takes that position. I commissioned a custom ultra-light rifle from a well-known maker who will remain unnamed. When the rifle arrived the metal work was what I would expect in a full custom gun... with the exception of the 1/2" sharp edged burr that curled up from the back of the action where the sides had been milled down to take out any excess weight. The burr was even nicely tefloned! The stock work looked like an apprentice's first project, shells wouldn't feed from the magazine, and the gun would not group any where near what it was guaranteed to. It took a year before I finally got my credit card company to refund the money to my account, and that was only long after I had sent the rifle back to the maker. Now, I am sure that rifle did not represent the product the guy built his reputation and business on. I just could never understand his refusal to make it right. Funny thing is, after that experience I decided to stick with Cooper because of the guaranteed accuracy and great value I have received from them. Curious, did your friend send the rifle back and ask it be made right or replaced before asking for a refund?

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
This just doesn't ring true. This is one of those stories that there is more to than is being presented here.

The first question that I have is -
Why would your friend expect Cooper to give his money back, Cooper only sells through authorized dealers, they do not sell to individuals. If he wants his money back he should talk to the dealer he purchased the rifle from.

What do you mean - "from the way he has been treated"? From your post it would appear that Cooper has offered to replace the rifle, what more could anyone expect the company to do? (refer back to last paragraph if you don't understand this statement).

I really wonder about the statement that he is going to cut the gun up. If he is so upset with Cooper that he is going to cut up a $1781 rifle just to prove a point I question his decision making processes. Why not send the rifle back to Cooper, have them fix any issues with it and if he wants his money back sell the rifle. Why would anyone be so hard-headed as to cut off their nose to spite their face??

I presently own 3 Cooper rifles and have owned 6 others, so I am familiar with Cooper rifles. Not only that but I live 140 miles from their facility and I know a great many of the folks there including the company owner, the management team, and most of the folks who build the rifles. I am not saying that it is not possible for a rifle to slip out with an issue but this sounds over the top. Especially when they test fire each and every rifle, and send a target with every rifle showing what the rifle did on their indoor test range. Yes, the test target is fired at slightly less than 50 yards but that does not translate into a 3 inch rifle at 100 yds. Especially since they guarantee the rimfires to shoot into 1/4 inch groups at 50 yards. Now this does not translate into 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards, but on a good calm day a good shooter can reasonably expect 1 inch groups at 100 yards with the 17 HMR. Given that scenario I wonder what conditions he was shooting his 3 inch groups under, was it windy, was he using windflags, was he using good bench techniques and equiptment, is he a capable benchrest shooter?

This post sounds like your friend has a bit of "buyers remorse" and is looking for someone to give him back the money he spent on the gun and it is unlikely that the dealer will do it and certainly it is unreasonable of him to expect Cooper to do it. The only thing I have got out of this post is that your friend is being unreasonable and is hard-headed. If there is more that would add some enlightment to the story I would love to read it.

drover

223 Rem, my favorite cartridge - you can't argue with truckloads of dead PD's and gophers.

24hourcampfire.com - The site where there is a problem for every solution.

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
Calif. Hunter: Yours is the first "poor service" report I have heard regarding the Cooper Rifle Companay.
I personally have never owned a Cooper Rifle but I have bid on many of them, shot many of them and I Varmint Hunt with friends who own at least a dozen of them (including a couple in 17 HMR) and ALL of them get raves from their owners.
I am simply amazed that this 3" shooter got out of the factory in the condition you report!
The Coopers all come with a factory fired grouping target and unless something was afoul there at the factory the test target should have indicated something awry right then???
I don't know?
I have seen the "rounded screw head" cartridge cases from some out of sink Magnum Research 10/22 clones in 17 HMR but never from a bolt gun.
And I agree totally with you that one would think the Cooper folks would NOT want that errant 17 HMR to be out there for liability and PR reasons.
Even the best of companies will put out a clunker now and then it seems.
For instance, I purchased a beautiful (new) S&W Model 647 in caliber 17 HMR about 5 years ago and it came with a fired 17 HMR casing (brass) in a tiny envelope.
It turned out the S&W Model 647 was spraying my face with shavings from the bullet when I initially fired it and the bullets were keyholing on the target!
To make a long story short someone at the S&W factory had drilled the barrel but they forgot to cut rifling in it!
So when I touched off the 18 rounds of ammo that I fired in it the bullet was smashing into an undersized (un-rifled!) barrel with no place for the oversized slug to expand into.
Thus the painful splashing of the bullet material back into my face!
I returned the pistol through the dealer to S&W with a letter and a target explaining the situation and immediately the production supervisor of S&W called me at home and apologized for the "human error"! And he promised me a whole new pistol ASAP!
Needless to say the new S&W Model 647 was perfect and so exceptionally accurate that I still am amazed by it!
I have owned 10 dozen S&W pistols over the last 4 1/2 decades and this one was the only one of them with a factory defect.
Again, I am just dumbfounded to the point of incredulity that the Cooper folks have NOT offered to correct the Rifle/situation.
I should have had sense enough to look down the barrel of the pistol I bought and I would have seen the complete lack of rifling!
But your gunsmith friend could not have "seen" the headspace problem - maybe he should have seen or felt the jagged crown - but still its something that is not his fault and should have been covered by warranty or good will.
Let us know how that Cooper situation is solved.
I hope the Rifle does not get sawed up.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am sure that if those who know the folks at Cooper ask about this story, they will get Cooper's side of it. The upshot is that he hung up when the female "head of sales at Cooper" asked him, "What the Hell do I have to do to get rid of you?" The story has spread, I am told, throughout Cooper.

I am sure that at least of a couple of you have been so disappointed with a product, especially one that was expensive, that you wanted nothng further to do with it and simply wanted your money back. My friend has no shortage of money, is almost 70, has no wife or kids and IS stubborn enough to cut the rifle into pieces and mount it on a plaque over the entrance to our underground range. He has been a head machinist for Boeing, a gunsmith and is fairly well known in CASS circles, setting up shop at most of the shoots here on the West Coast. He instructs at sniper classes for the FBI, the military and the various police departments. He also often works on their guns.

Drover -
Quote: Why would your friend expect Cooper to give his money back, Cooper only sells through authorized dealers, they do not sell to individuals. If he wants his money back he should talk to the dealer he purchased the rifle from.

That's not the way it works. The dealer tells you to take all product problems to the manufacturer, who is the one to rpovide warranty coverage/problem resolution. As Ron works for shops, he understands how it works and that it's the manufacturer's problem, not the dealer who simply sold him the rifle.

Also, Drover, you are being defensive and derogatory in stating that I am lying or my friend has "buyer's remorse." No such problem, and I really don't care what you think. My friend wanted a Cooper because they were supposed to be the best. In his opinion, he got a piece of crap. You are entitled to your opinion that Cooper can do no wrong and walks on water.

�That rifle on the wall of the labourer's cottage or working class flat is the symbol of democracy. It is our job to see that it stays there.� George Orwell
Page 3 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

514 members (10gaugemag, 06hunter59, 17CalFan, 10ring1, 12344mag, 160user, 50 invisible), 2,418 guests, and 621 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,443
Posts18,507,817
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.