Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hey Guys,

I am coming to a bit of a cross-roads here in some boot selection and thought I'd bounce some ideas around here.

I have 2 very extreme sheep hunts that involve long periods of sitting for upwards of 8-10 hours in the hills this November. I'd like something with 'decent' stability and yet have the warmth to take a guy into December for foot warmth.

I was going to go with the Lundhag Polar Quest boot from Lathrop and Sons, but they dont have any that fit (the one I tried is quite tight, not something I"d like for a cold weather boot).

My other ideas are the following....

Kenetrek Mountain Extreme 1000
Schnee's Extreme Pac Boot
Kenetrek Northern Pac Boot
Lowa Sheephunter GTX

I have worn the Lowa Sheephunter for a few years and wear them almost all season long for a lot of the hunting I do. Only problem I see is a bit of 'warmth' issues for long days in the cold weather. I almost thought of using a 'booty' system to keep them warm once I was sitting somewhere.

Thoughts, suggestions, etc?

GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have the Schnees extreme pacs. I won them in a raffle at a FNAWS banquet. They are very warm, almost too warm if your moving.

I have only been fortunate to hunt sheep once so far. I would'nt want to do it in pacs.
Haven't used them personally but I've heard the Kenetrek 1000 is a hell of a boot, and the route I'd go if I was in your position.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What do you consider "extreme" cold weather?

To my way of thinking, that starts around -30F and colder.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Rackmastr,

I am currently in the same quest for cold winter boots with the much needed ankle support.

I will tell you that I had a pair of the Kenetrek 1000's but had an issue with the R boot. Hoping to exchange for a different pair, I was told they are on back order until early-mid November.

My pair of polar quest from Lathrop arrived on Wednesday and the Meindl's 800 from Cabelas arrived yesterday. The Meindls are in limited supply (not sure of your shoe size). I normally wear a 10 but went 10 1/2 in the Meindls (great fit for my feet).

I'm going to do some more walking around the house before I make my decision. The early lead is going toward the Meindls.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
End of November in Alberta mountains....so yes temps could be down around there at times....Thinking anywhere from -20 to -35 Celcius, with a severe wind chill added in on top of those temps.

Alberta is an interesting place, as it MIGHT be -10 to -15C as well, and a guy just never can tell what to expect.

Not 'arctic' temps by any means, but full days in the mountains that have the potential for getting very cold.

IC B2

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Out of your boot ideas I would definitely lean toward the Kenetreks. The over-boot idea is not a bad one. Forty Below is well regarded with lots of options (I like the Penguin model for less weight/bulk), and OR makes the Brooks Range overboot which you can often find on sale.

If $$$ is a big factor, overboots only cost $120-$150 at full price. If you'd only use 1000 gram Kenetreks very rarely the cost efficiency is clear. Sounds like a fun hunt!

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I had wished the Polar Quests had fit as they seemed like a very good boot for the needs, but unfortunatly are just a bit too tight!

Thanks for the post huntem. I had remembered you said something about the backorder of the Kenetreks, and was going to have to call them if that boot was one that I was serious about.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Rackmastr
Thinking anywhere from -20 to -35 Celcius, with a severe wind chill added in on top of those temps.

-31F = -35C

I've worn 400 gram thinsulate boots elk hunting in December at temps right at -30F. As long as I was moving, not a problem, and my feet are quite sensitive to cold having badly frostbit them many years ago.

To me, the mega-insulated boots are best left to stationary cold weather activities (like sitting in a treestand).

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Just confirmed with Kenetrek that my size is out of stock on the Mountain 1000's...a guy could possibly find some at a dealer but that will take some phone calls to see, and probably not amazing luck but possibly worth a try....

Tough decisions finding the right balance of boot, warmth, strength, etc....

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Brad
Thinking anywhere from -20 to -35 Celcius, with a severe wind chill added in on top of those temps.

-31F = -35C

I've worn 400 gram thinsulate boots elk hunting in December at temps right at -30F. As long as I was moving, not a problem, and my feet are quite sensitive to cold having badly frostbit them many years ago.

To me, the mega-insulated boots are best left to stationary cold weather activities (like sitting in a treestand).

I know what you mean about the mega-insulated boots and sitting...biggest problem is the one hunt will involved upwards of 8 hours a day sitting in close to the same spot with minimal hiking. The one hunt is at the Cadomin mine and involves hunting a boundary with not a ton of walking. Its my wife's tag and almost is more of a 'sit and wait' hunt.

The second hunt will involve more moving around and hiking, which SHOULD be better with a lighter boot.

I may just suck it up and wear my Lowas for the hunts and be prepared with an over-boot for the long sitting periods. Just looking at a few options at least...

IC B3

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
a guy could possibly find some at a dealer but that will take some phone calls to see, and probably not amazing luck but possibly worth a try....

Tough decisions finding the right balance of boot, warmth, strength, etc....

If you are looking for a size 10, I called 50% of the vendors on their website that are in cold climates...nothing available. I will you luck on the calls.

I'm the opposite on the polar quest, I have a little extra room in the body of the boot (length is good) with a standard wool sock. If I add a liner sock, I'm good to go. I may order another sole insert with a filler added to the bottom.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Cuius est solum, eius est usque ad caelum et ad inferos
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana

-31F = -35C

I know what you mean about the mega-insulated boots and sitting...biggest problem is the one hunt will involved upwards of 8 hours a day sitting in close to the same spot with minimal hiking. The one hunt is at the Cadomin mine and involves hunting a boundary with not a ton of walking. Its my wife's tag and almost is more of a 'sit and wait' hunt.

The second hunt will involve more moving around and hiking, which SHOULD be better with a lighter boot.

I may just suck it up and wear my Lowas for the hunts and be prepared with an over-boot for the long sitting periods. Just looking at a few options at least...

I have a pair of insulated overboots for just what you describe.

C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
I've used the bootie solution and it does work. They are bulky but light so carrying them is not a huge issue. They aren't that costly and just might be the solution you need. Seems to me I got them at Cabela's.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular

I have a pair of insulated overboots for just what you describe.

Something tells me that might be my best solution right now to have the best compromise in performance, price, and use.

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Anyone know if they have changed the insulation level in the Lowa Sheephunters in the past? Some places advertise 200gr of Primaloft insulation, while others show the 2010 models having 400gr of insulation.

I MAY treat myself to a new pair of Sheephunters regardless as my pair is now on year 4 or 5 I believe.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I believe the Sheephunters/Hunter's use "Goretex Duratherm" which is I think, 200 grams Primalotft with Goretex.

Wish you luck... had a helllll of a time getting a hunting boot to fit my feet this year... that would include Schnee's Granite's, Lowa Hunter Extreme, and Kenetrek Mountain Extreme's... my feet are a bithchh.

Hanwag's are on back-order as are Meindel "Prefect's" from Cablea's... My old Danner's are going to see the light of day this year...

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Rockmastr:

If you really want extreme cold weather boots then I recommend that you eliminate any type of hunting boot and get a pair of good mountaineering boots such as these.

http://www.scarpa.co.uk/Products/Product.asp?ProductId=81

Or these.

http://www.asolo.com/eng/prod_det.php?area=1&catid=2&itemid=5

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
Yeah, Im not sure how you guys could possibly sit for 8-10 hours in any pair of leather boots around the -30 mark. You can find some Koflach Degree's or some of their other designs around for pretty cheap new, I scored a pair new for 99$ last winter. Awesome cold weather boot and not nearly as stiff as a "Plastic Boot" sounds. I cant get anywhere near -30 in leather boots personally so I had to go to plastic.

Ahh, nice marmot
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a friend who uses Degrees for sheep. He loves them. I had a pair fit and bought them, and I hated them. Then I was stupid enough to try it again. I still hated them. I thought they would be perfect for winter. They didn't work for me at all. I guess I should try the Lowa Civvetas or some Scarpas, but even a stiff leather is so much more comfortable (to me) than plastic.

I have also heard good things about the 40 Below Overboots. (As mentioned above.) However, when I went to get a pair, the Mountain Hardware were on sale, so I have the Mountain Hardware overboots. They go over the Lowas when I sit while on cold hiking hunts. I still get cold, though. (I also frostbite my feet in '90.) While not perfect, this is the best solution so far.

I wonder if those Icebreaker overboots are warmer?

I've also tried the chemical toe heaters. They never get enough air.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
One more thing to add.

You might want to try a pair of vapor barrier socks. It's purpose is to keep the sweat from your feet from getting your sock and the boot's insulation wet.

I hate how they feel so VERY rarely use them, but they do work.

The never-ending flight
Of future days.
Paradise Lost. Book ii. Line 221
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (007FJ, 160user, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 40 invisible), 2,131 guests, and 1,179 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,143
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.