Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
mine is cursed.

I can shoot cans and targets till the cows come home but if I need it to function to shoot a critter it will jam every time.

Something clever here.

GB1

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I know how you feel Dave.
That is one thing I can say for the 22A. I bought it well used.
Bore looked fine but the outside is missing 'paint' in a few spots.
But it shoots any and all ammo I stuff in it.
AND, when I do my part, I can hold 10's and X's all day at 25 feet. All the black at 50.
One day soon, I'll get a 100!

The wife's Buckmark , golden trigger target pistol will shoot as well. But ony with CCI or Blazers. Every other brand or type with jamb at least one per mag.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I'll take a look at mine tonight maybe. Tear it all the way down & clean it really good. check the extractor & stuff. Check the magazine over really good. Stupid thing shoots awesome when I can get it to feed.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by kenjs1
I am looking to get my 25 y.o. son a 22 hand gun. He is expressing interest but knows very little about guns in general, he would not notice an imperfect trigger (but still....), I doubt he will know how to maintenance well etc.. and he doesn't live close by for me to fuss over it for him.

Just my humble opinion, but I would not get a semi-auto for a person who knew very little about guns in general. Add in the low maintenance and you not able to be there and it�s an accident waiting to happen. For example, lots and lots of folks think that when you remove the magazine the pistol is safe and have no idea they have to clear the chamber (although I understand the latest Mk III Ruger does have a magazine disconnect). Or, lacking well ingrained gun handling skills, they pull the trigger and presto there is another one up the spout that only takes a slight tug on the trigger to set off.

I would strongly recommend a revolver of some kind, either double or single action. They don�t promote safe skills by themselves or totally make up for their lack but do offer a little extra protection against the more common mistakes.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
for a first .22 hand gun, I am always going to pitch the Smith & Wesson revolvers.
That's my preference, too, but he did specify a pistol.

IC B2

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
The Ruger's are easy to shoot well. I prefer the MK II. My wife has a MK III and it has some features I don't like. I don't care for the loaded chamber indicator and, as the gun comes from the factory, it will not fire with the magazine out. This feature also prevents the magazine from falling clear of the gun when the mag release button is pressed. She didn't like this feature either, so I deactivated it for her. It was no simple matter and required alteration of a couple of parts. I don't reccomend it unless you are familiar with these guns. For a first handgun, I would not reccomend an auto pistol at all. I'd go with a .22 revolver. A Ruger Single Six single action. It's easy to maintain and simple to operate. It's also accurate and a lot of fun to shoot.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I'd keep my eye on this one. It ends in a little over 1 day.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=194587229

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
That's a nice looking one. I'd like to have that myself.

It's only a name. It could just as easily have been Nosler Partition.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Hey Northern Dave You have a freak gun I have 2 Mark IIs one regular and one with a Leupold scope I have fired thousands of rounds mostly non scoped NEVER an issue.Every one I know with one would say the same.

I crossed this bridge two years ago my daughters 16th B Day.Yes I would have liked a S&W for a life investment but I was so happy with her Taurus tracker that I bought one for my. Father and Daughter (we also have custom pearl handle folding knives) someone get me a tissue I am tearing up. They shoot well are relatively light and have really nice grips. She has 4in I have 6in.When I walk the woods I carry mine.

I have a few 22 autos the standard I measure all by is the Ruger Mark II SS with bull barrel

Hank

Thank You Lord for another day,Help my Brother along the way

When you mature,you realize hospitals and schools are businesses,and the Beatles were geniuses

Live Like A Champion Today

NRA EndowmentLife Member,My Daughter is also a Life Member
F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Sig Mosquito's a good one; I've also got a Buckmark.

Of course, if you REALLY cared, you'd pick him up a Diamondback.

Murphy was an optimist.
IC B3

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Originally Posted by Flyfast

Of course, if you REALLY cared, you'd pick him up a Diamondback.

+1 smile

Deserve's got nothing to do with it.

TripleA RV in Medford, OR SUCKS
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
I'm a revolver guy. If I was looking for a reasonably priced .22 handgun to buy my son, I'd look around for a nice H&R Model 999.

They're widely considered one of the best revolvers H&R ever made. The downside is, people have started to appreciate them and the prices are starting to get a bit high for a nice example.

In fact, I'm going to have to keep my eye on this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=195312103

kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks all- I am enjoying this thread and have been bouncing all over gunbroker. The buckmark was a great find. I don't know how he would like a revolver. If tallying up the score a nice priced Ruger MK III might have the edge right now (if the buckmark gets gobbled up) but hope you all keep it coming.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
kenjs1 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
thanks Bristoe- gotta say the mention of an H&R didn't so much for me but then I took a look. Looks like a lot of gun for the money.

When a country is well governed, poverty and a mean condition are something to be ashamed of. When a country is ill governed, riches and honors are something to be ashamed of
. Confucius
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by kenjs1
thanks Bristoe- gotta say the mention of an H&R didn't so much for me but then I took a look. Looks like a lot of gun for the money.

I'll admit,..most of the offerings from H&R are fairly "ho-hum"

But they hit a home run when they put a 6" barrel, 9 shot .22 cylinder, and adjustable sights on their late model break down frame. The full size, hand checkered grips are a nice touch, also.

Back when they were still making them they got a lot of very good reviews from the gunwriters who tried them out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I have three Ruger .22 autos. A MKI 4" standard, a MKII 5 1/2" bull barrel target, and a MKIII 4" 22/45 heavy barrel with adj sights. None has ever missed a shell.

+1 on the H&R 999 revolver, but they are getting harder to sneak up on.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have a Browning Buckmark which has served me well.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by duckster
I have a Browning Buckmark which has served me well.
+1

My dog is a member of the "Turd Like Clan"

Covert Trail Cameras are JUNK

3 Time Dinkathon Champion #DinkGOAT

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
My Ruger Mark II Hunter shoots more like a rifle than a pistol.

I've owned most of the 22 wheel guns and none of the revolvers have ever come close to this kind of accuracy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just could stands no more! Yep, that .22 Ruger kept playing on my mind like a bad tune from the juke box. I had to do something about that noise in my head......So I went down and purchased the Ruger MK-3 with heavy barrel. Now I can say I got a real FUN GUN!!!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 10gaugeman, 38 invisible), 2,512 guests, and 1,101 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,764
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.