Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Conventional wisdom says sell a gun that fails out of the box as my Bodyguard 380 did. However I actually like the gun - size, weight, shooting (when it shot), etc and was going to try it again when I get it back.

Not now! I just got off the phone talking to a gentleman in the S&W service department. He certainly didn't give me much confidence that S&W was going to make the BG380 reliable to say the least.

For sure, I'm dumping the Bodyguard 380 as soon as it gets here.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
GB1

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Hmmm...Can't get a Para to shoot, have trouble with S&W. Seems like you are jinxed on buying guns! smile

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
D
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
D
Not exactly. I am a 50 year shooter with a safe full of fully functional firearms including S&W, Glock, Winchester, et al. The ones I've kept all worked out of the box.

I suppose with 20 years in law enforcement and many years in competition I've fired 10s of thousands rounds. Very few gun and ammo combinations have ever failed.

I just reported the ones that did fail.

I have in my pocket as I type this a Kel-Tec P3AT through which I've fire 600+ rounds without a hitch.

Last edited by Deputy_Norm; 10/19/10.

Norm -
NRA Member Since 1966
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I'm kinda like you that away. Actually the only guns I've ever had fail me out of the box was a Star and a Bersa. I've bought a few guns from guys that claimed they never could get them to shoot right and never caused a single problem for me except maybe being a little finicky about bullet shapes. Seems like it is always a semi-auto genre that gives that kind of trouble. I've come to the conclusion that a lot of semi-auto problems are the shooters themselves.

My wife had a lot of problems shooting my Colt Gov. Model and Gold Cups. In her case, I was able to narrow the problem down to the loose grip and stance she used when shooting them.

Hope you get yours up and running good!

My belt has a Glock 39 in the dreaded 45GAP hanging on it right now. smile

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I'm suprised at your call , Norm
I've only made a couple contacts with S & W.
( Once was to purchase 'target grips' for my 22A)

My son took apart my 622 and lost the grip screws.
I had him call Smith and they just asked how many he needed,
and then told him, "Hell, here's four, I'll send them all"
No charge, no question.

Try another call and ask for a supervisor. ?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Norm, might I suggest that based on this post, you not try to sell that pistol here on our classifieds grin

The older I get the better I was.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sad....the new S&W is not the old S&W.

my son was doing a science project on whales and he asked "whats a blow-hole for" and i said "I'll tell you what it's not for, and when I do, you'll understanded why I'm banned for life from Sea World"!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The S&W forum has two good threads on this. It seems the early guns had problems, S&W thought they had a handle on the problems but they didn�t. A little later S&W seems to have solved the problems. A second thread indicates the later guns are trouble free. My wife has a Ruger LCP and it functions well, I don�t care for this type of firearm but that is a personal preference. My wife has handled the S&W and believes she would like it better than the Ruger, she has not voted with her pocket book, yet.
It appears this post sort of sums things up. Below the quoted post is a link to the first thread highlighting the problem guns. If it helps, any we bought a 317 Airlight when they first appeared. This little revolver had the extractor star cut wrong and it bulged cartridge cases and had sticky extraction. My wife called S&W and the first person she spoke with informed her everything was normal and this is exactly how the gun was supposed to operate. We mailed S&W 8 empties and our telephone number. S&W called us within 3 days asking that we return the revolver for repair.

�It appears from another post on this forum that S&W has determined that two problems exist.

#1 - the spring needs to be stiffer as the flex in the current one is not remaining seated in the groove of the takedown lever allowing it to crawl out.

#2 - the groove in the takedown lever is not cut deep enough and allows the flexible spring to let go under fire.

Initial repairs before they discovered this problem, was to merely replace the spring and takedown lever with the same thing, not fixing the problem.

From other posts, it looks like they are replacing the frames with new serial numbers to fix the two issues. I hope so since mine was send back to them last week. �

http://smith-wessonforum.com/smith-wesson-semi-auto-pistols/148484-bodyguard-380-first-problem.html

Slim

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

599 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 1badf350, 12344mag, 160user, 67 invisible), 2,605 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,826
Posts18,516,817
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.