Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
quick question: is there any benefit to quenching brass imediently after annealing?

I am a total novice when it comes to annealing. I have done a small batch of unknown round count .223 and think they turned out fine. I used a socket and rotated them through the flame of a portable torch with my portable screwdriver. I got the 'discoloration' on the neck just like the new LC brass. I did not drop the cases into water, and I was just wondering if there was any benefit to doing so.

Any annealers care to shed some light on the subject?

Thanks,
burt2506

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I don't do a lot of annealing but I can explain how its done by me.

I hold the case in my fingers and rotate the case through the flame of a propane torch while counting one thousand, two thousand, up to either 6 or 7 thousand while watching the colour of the case. When it starts to glow red I immediately quench it in cold water.

Using this method, and being sure to only apply the heat to just barely below the case shoulder, I have found the cases to be improved to the point where the number of resizings can be increased by several reloadings. I know this system is inexact compared to what some on this forum do but by using my bare fingers to hold the cases I can quickly tell if the case is in danger of being over heated.

Specifically in reply to your question, yes I believe quenching is desirable.

Jim

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
I am 'self taught"...

for 223 brass, I hold it into a flame from a propane torch, mounted on a 7 gallon tank I got for free...on an extension tree that was also free...

I hold the 223 brass in the flame ( using a needle nose pliers) at the shoulder so that the neck gets the flame also.. and count to five.. and then drop it into a small metal decorative bucket I picked up at Walmart for a dollar..

mine just air cool...

I did an experiment on the life span potential of brass using 223 cases and 22.250 cases...a batch of 10 with each caliber...

I quit on the 22.250 cases at 50 reloads..

I quit on the 223 cases at 100 reloads..

each case was loaded and shot ( that was 1400 bullets to run this test)...then necked sized...

pressure was kept in the 45,000 to 50,000 CUP ranges....

I annealed after every 4th reload..records kept on 3 x 5 cards with each batch ( as I do all my brass)...

so quenching in water afterwards has not been needed in my case..

my regimen has boiled down to I hold 223 brass in the flame for 5 second, 22.250, 243 etc sized cases 6 to 8 seconds, and 06 sized cases 8 to 10 seconds.. I pull them when the neck starts to try and glow red..

I have multiple batches of 223 brass with 40 plus reloads on them..all my brass is sorted into 'lots' of 10 to 25 and put in plastic zip lock bags.. with their load history kept on 3 x 5 cards, recording date.. load.. primer and whether necksized or full lengthed..

on the back of the car, I record annealing history, and any losses along the way..and why...

so that has become my experience and S.O.P.

"Minus the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the Country" Marion Barry, Mayor of Wash DC

“Owning guns is not a right. If it were a right, it would be in the Constitution.” ~Alexandria Ocasio Cortez

B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
guys,
thanks for the replies. I figure it is personal preference as to whether or not quenching is needed....I think there is absolutely no question that annealing is desirable and the benifits are well documented...much like the detail in Seafire's load data

Thanks again,

burt2506

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
When I first did it I thought that the quenching completed the process of softning. I might be right, I might be wrong on that point. But if I am right then letting the brass air cool will not give the best benifit from the process and might even make it a total waste of time (just give it a nice color change).

BTW, everything I have read about annealing has had the quenching as the last step.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In John Barsness' book "Obsession of a Rifle Loony", pages 310-311, he talks about annealing.

Heating with a propane torch until the brass is cherry red makes the necks too soft.

Instead, he holds the cases in his fingers half way up and heats them in a wax candle flame until the case is too hot to hold. He then drops it onto a water soaked towel and uses the towel to wipe off the candle soot.

The benefit of this method is that it anneals "just the right amount".

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
That method was worked out by a metallurgist, and I have used it quite a bit.

Brass, unlike most other metal alloys, doesn't need to be quenched after heating to be annealed. The only reason I even wipe the hot brass with a wet paper towel is to get rid of the soot from the candle while it's still soft. If you're into making brass shiny every time it's shot, then dropping it into a case tumbler would work too.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
B
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
B
I guess the other reason to give annealing a try would be just for the experience... to be able to add that to my reloading resume.

guys, thanks for the replies and imput. I will keep you posted as to how it goes.

burt2506

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by Mule Deer
That method was worked out by a metallurgist, and I have used it quite a bit.

Brass, unlike most other metal alloys, doesn't need to be quenched after heating to be annealed. The only reason I even wipe the hot brass with a wet paper towel is to get rid of the soot from the candle while it's still soft. If you're into making brass shiny every time it's shot, then dropping it into a case tumbler would work too.

I have also read that u don't need to quench the neck.

I use a 650� Tempilstik (should've got the tempillaq liquid), as it was written up so many times in several articles. The problem with the stick was that it's chalky and won't wipe onto a case. So i thought about it some and figured that maybe if i scrape a little off on the inside of the case it might work. Turns out it works great and i can instantly see when the chalk dissipates. One pass with a neck brush and any leftover trace is completely gone.

The problem that i have READ with annealing is that the temperature range is supposed to be critical for good results, and with a torch the temp. change occurs so fast that it could never be montiored as accurately as it's supposed to be...but it works for me. At least i haven't blown myself up yet.

Good writeup and research by Seafire.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't claim to be a metalurgist, but I have annealed a ton of brass cases and I have always just gone into the garage with the lights off, propane torch on about the medium setting and a gallon bucket of water. I hold the brass in my fingers and just about the moment it starts to JUST SLIGHTLY GLOW AROUND THE NECK AND SHOULDER ONLY AND IS TOO HOT TO HOLD I drop in the water. Always seems to be just right and have never had a single failure? Sometimes I think to much is made about this process, but maybe I am just over simplifying it.....................YMMV

If you find yourself in a hole....quit digging
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
One benefit I can see from quenching is to prevent the heat from migrating to the base and softening it.

Even holding it with your fingers until it is too hot to hold, the heat will still move toward the base after you drop it, unless you drop it in water.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
123 has it right. In a technical sense, brass can't be "quenched" as ferrous metals can but dropping it in water does stop the heat from migrating toward the head. That's a good thing! smile

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've developed a production technigue.
Five gallon bucket, cordless drill, pencil point torch, super-duper sleeved-hunks-of-tubing case holder.
The best thing is a really lightweight drill, light duty cheapo, just big enough to chuck the holder. If the weight is centered around the handle, that's important.
I get all set up comfy, one hand puts cases in the slowly-rotating drill, the other holds the drill. Have the point of the flame (hottest spot) burning up into the shoulder/neck corner or thereabouts. Watch the color while counting, there will be a change in the gassing around the case.
Flick the drill, the case falls into the bucket, grab another case and go.
It's boring but if you have good sorted brass and want to keep it alive a long time, you'd be amazed at what annealing gives you.

Up hills slow,
Down hills fast
Tonnage first and
Safety last.
H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Quenching in water is neither good nor bad. It makes no difference.

Alot of people use a pan with water in it so that the are assured that the lower part of the brass does not get heated like you want the shoulder to be heated. You do not want the web area to be heated-that is bad.

So alot of people just push the brass over into the water after they have annealed the brass.

Brass does not have the hardening characteristics like water quenching steel has. So it definitely is not necessary. And you also need to make sure you get it good and dry.

Just look up the properties for brass. You can satisfy your question in the facts of the characteristics of brass. Tom.

West By God Virginia
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
Originally Posted by jmp300wsm
I don't claim to be a metalurgist, but I have annealed a ton of brass cases and I have always just gone into the garage with the lights off, propane torch on about the medium setting and a gallon bucket of water. I hold the brass in my fingers and just about the moment it starts to JUST SLIGHTLY GLOW AROUND THE NECK AND SHOULDER ONLY AND IS TOO HOT TO HOLD I drop in the water. Always seems to be just right and have never had a single failure? Sometimes I think to much is made about this process, but maybe I am just over simplifying it.....................YMMV

+1

I use about the same technique.

I put the cases in a pan of water with about an inch of water in the pan, heat the necks up till they are cherry red, then tip them over. Been using this technique since the late 60's. I worked for a commercial reloader in the 60's. He bought 55 gallon drums of 30'06 brass and we made everything on that case head with that brass, lots of work. 20 rounds of loaded ammo he sold for $2.00. We annealed all the brass after forming and then inside neck reamed.

Annealing is not the rocket science that some would lead you to believe as long as all you are interested in is tiny groups out of a rifle.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
There is no need to tip them over--and no need to heat the brass cherry-red. In fact, heating them cherry-red makes the necks softer than they should be for the best accuracy. It becomes so soft it kind of grabby, and will usually shoot better after a couple of firings.

None of the commercial annealing units uses water at all, whether the simple Hornady unit or more complex machines like the Ken Lightman model. Instead they have the head of the case sitting inside a metal hole, to form a "heat sink" to prevent the head of the case from over-heating. The neck of the case is heated up sufficiently to anneal (nowhere near cherry-red) and then allowed to air-cool.

The head of the case has to be heated to 500 degrees for a considerable period of time for it to be softened. I suspect the brass could just be stood up on a steel plate during annealing without ever getting the head of the case anywhere near 500 degrees.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
I use the cordless drill/socket method too and drop them in water when finished. I quench them mostly as matter of stopping the annealing process the same way every time. I get them to the temp I want for time I want and done.

I think that's a good point about the case head. Assuming you're only heating the neck/shoulder to the proper temp I doubt enough heat could move through the case for enough time to also anneal the head even with out a heat sink. Not only does the heat have to conduct through the case but there's physically a lot more brass to heat around the head area than the neck. If poor technique (bad flame angle, overheating, etc) is used though all bets are off and I could envision annealed case heads too.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A couple of nights ago I annealed 97 twice fired .243 cases using the method outlined in your book � just hold them in your fingers halfway up the case and heat the neck and shoulder in a wax candle flame until they get too hot to hold. After heating them I just dropped them (quickly!) into a container to air cool without quenching. They do tend to get �too hot to hold� all of a sudden like.

It only took about 20-25 minutes to do the whole batch. Later they were tumbled to remove the soot instead of wiping them individually.

These are going to be fireformed into .243 AI cases so we�ll see how they do. I do not expect to lose any from necks or shoulders splitting.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jim,

I'd be interested in hearing your results.

I should mention here that the method was worked out by Fred Barker, a retired metallurgist, who used heat-paint during his experiments. Fred originally published an article about the method in PRECISION SHOOTING.

John Steinbeck
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Will do. It will be a few weeks as the rifle is still at the gunsmith's being rechambered.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

116 members (1OntarioJim, 6mmCreedmoor, 338reddog, 14idaho, 01Foreman400, 8 invisible), 1,489 guests, and 833 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,324
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.