Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
I had posted on another thread about my belief that your age will have a certain determinng factor in which caliber you use for self defense. Im fairly certain age groups have differing views on specific calibers based on several factors that correlate to their age.

For example(just my opinion too) someone born in the 40's who grew up with the .45 being king of the semi auto defense rounds later in life sees the first widespread issuance of the 9mm in the 80's and also see the dismal performance of it(compared to today) and for the rest of their life will discount the 9mm round for self defense, while a new shooter in the world today will see that bullet technology has come along way and todays 9mm is just as effective as other self defense rounds and may not be so quick to dismiss this round in favor of another.

Obviously there area ton of other factors that people may use to pick a caliber but I think a lot of it has to do with "what you grew up with" mentality.

I know for me,being 30, I started shooting handguns when I was 8 and my father was the armorer for the PD in the city we lived in and at the time they were transitioning from their S&W revolvers to autos. They ened up choosing Sig Sauer 226/220's. I spent every other weekend with my father in the weapons locker for a few hours cleaning and repairing(replcaing springs,Sig dont break ) and to this day I still carry a Sig and up until 2 years ago I chose the 9mm for self defense....now I carry 357 Sig.

So if you would kindly just give your age and caliber selection I would like to compile the numbers and see if my theory holds any water. Also if you could say your location as well that would be great as Im going to also see if there is a correlation between the area of the country you live and caliber choice. Nothing scientific, just for fun. Thanks for your help.

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I like the .45 and do carry one some of the time, but then I was a Peace Officer when .38 spl was king and still mostly carry a J frame S&W in 38. Born in 1941 the 9mm is OK I just never warmed up to it. Grew up in Northern Illinois and moved to Florida in the late 60's.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
No doubt in my mind..45ACP carried it in SEA instead of a 38..I'm 62 and have all the confidence that should the need ever arise to use it..well you know the rest...

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is a lot to what you're saying. The .45 was the predominant military handgun round in the old days and even people who weren't in the military see it as the ultimate. This is somewhat negated by the fact that as we age, arthritus and other stuff takes a toll to the point that some want want less recoil.

I mean no offense to our older posters when I say this next. It is a fact that more and more of our populace is college educated with each passing year. Older shooters seem to not be as cognizant of hard data than younger ones who may have more education-not to say they're more intelligent.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Ahhh..calling us Gezzers are you!!! laugh grin

Woody
IC B2

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
Older shooters seem to not be as cognizant of hard data than younger ones who may have more education-not to say they're more intelligent.

This is what got me started on this quest for the answer.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
This is somewhat negated by the fact that as we age, arthritus and other stuff takes a toll to the point that some want want less recoil.

This is why I figured I would see the drop from .45 to maybe 9mm or even .380 in the 65+ plus age range.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
I knew there would be other factors involved. I posted this on a couple different sites, some hunting, some combat related even a jeep site. I knew that dependng on the site I would get certain groups of shooters from dedicated to recreational. On combat pistol related sites the choices are all over the board because regardless of age the majority of the people on those sites also do subsequent and continued research into caliber proficiency and are "shooters" as opposed to the Jeep site where so far all the responses were what I expected as they dont shoot regularly so they shoot what they grew up with or was recommended by the "experts".

I didnt include the .357/38 as I figured a lot of old timers wopuld prefer that over the .45 as they probably had more trigger time with those calibers over the years than the .45 but wanted to keep it to autos only, as the big 3 also came into the market at certain time periods that can easily correlate to a certain age group.

I'll post the results later this week by site and as a whole and you will be able to see the difference in opinion based on how much firearms play a role in peoples lives.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
This is a very interesting trek you're on..hope you keep us informed on the findings...In reference to the 45 I think it has come full circle,many law enforcement agencies out here and officers have gone down the road of 357/9mm and 40's but are slowly coming back to the ole 45..would like to see some hard data on those assumptions nationwide also!!

Woody
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Just as a general statement......I know that a lot of people who I determined in advance (the older aged) would pick a .45 based on age may have decided on the .45 for other reasons be it experience or data or whatever. Humor me anyways.

I choose a caliber that I feel gives me the best capcity/accuracy/shootability/performance.....while it may not be king in one area, its the overall winner based on the platforms I shoot. If that puts me in my predetermined age group vs caliber, its by coincidense and I know for some of you this will also be the case.

Last edited by warpig602; 10/23/10.
IC B3

Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
33 years old. .40 S&W.

Grew up in northern IL but now reside in MT.

Travis

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I am 50. For a long time all I had was a 357 Mag revolver, and felt adequately armed with it. In 1989 I bought a 1911A1 45 ACP, and still think the 45 rocks for defense. That being said, I now use, depending on what I am doing, anything from 38 special to 45 ACP, including 9mm, 357 mag and 40 S&W. When I carry concealed, it's usually 38 special or 357 mag J frames. When I carry a truck gun it's usually a full size semi auto. My bed gun varies by my attitude, but lately has been a 4" k frame (model 64) with +P+ ammo...

I'm not sure posting this on a gun loony forum will get you accurate info....

Regards,

Tom
W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
Originally Posted by tominboise
I'm not sure posting this on a gun loony forum will get you accurate info....

Probably not, but it will confirm that avid shooters are more likely to choose by situation and use research/data to make their decision. I also posted on a few photography and jeep and other non-gun websites to balance it. Im curious to compare the data between gun and non gun sites.

Last edited by warpig602; 10/23/10.
R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Born 1958, 52 years old. Have been thru 9's, 40's and settled on the 1911 Gov Model 45 ACP for concealed carry. The 45 reigns supreme and the 40 is well capable. The 40 gets the nod now & then but not often. They're the only two I carry.

The bigger the hole the more leakage.

By the way, in case you missed it, Jeremiah was a bullfrog.
J
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I'm not a 9mm fan, because I have tried them and a 45 they ain't

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
In my 60s and mostly carry a M36, although at various times I have carried a 1911, Keltec 380 and 4" M686 (Pachmayr Grippers). The M36 works best most of the time, for most situations.

I prefer maximum concealment and comfort, so I tend to tote whatever best fits the situation. If I had to spend time in the inner city and was wearin' enough outer garments, the 1911 would probably come along?

As for 9mm pistols, have only one: A WWII bring back P38. Even have the officer's shoulder rig that came with it, but I can't use it. Der Ober-whatever must've been about the size of Little Jimmy Dickens?

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I don't think any of those statements apply to me. While true I do CC a Glock 39 in .45 GAP, it is more because I won the gun in a banquet drawing. I'm just as likely to pick up the Glock 29SF in 10mm just because it's there, or the .32 Berreta Tomcat, or the .380 Ruger LCP or the .38 Ruger LCR. If I am holding a garage sale, I may put on the sholder holster with a Colt Gov. Model in 45 ACP (tends to discourage the undocumented aliens from unloading a car full of kids to steal you blind.) or a S&W Highway Patrolman in .357 Mag.

I think my "choice" is based more on a love of my guns than any other factor, and I see them more as works of mechanical art than just a tool. Maybe that's the difference. Oh yeah, I'm about 56 or so.

Last edited by Allen917; 10/23/10.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost....
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm 63 and wear a .44 Special revolver for carry and for bedside.

But being an educated gun geezer has its effect: I have a 9mm here at my keyboard, a .357 near the front door and a Makarov next to my driver's seat. Two revolvers and two semi-autos in diverse chamberings. Hmmmm.

Added: I would cognitively agree with your premise about age and guns, but also agree that this board is a very skewed sample source.

Last edited by RockyRaab; 10/23/10.

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Not sure your theory works with me. My age is 49 and the calibers I carry for CCW range from .38 Special/9mm to .45 ACP (with really nothing filling the gap). Can you tell anything from that? I have a .32 ACP pocket pistol, but only occasionally carry it anymore, and then only as a backup to my main carry. Same goes for my little NAA .22 lr mini revolver.

W
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
W
My theory wont work with a lot of people, especially within the active shooting community.

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

510 members (257Bob, 257Ackley, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 57 invisible), 3,034 guests, and 1,287 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,696
Posts18,534,605
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.