Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
That is something I have been wondering. How compact can you get it, compated to the original size when new?

GB1

U
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
U
It was simple enough to go to a slightly larger sack. No way was I going to spend my life fighting that sack.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I just put a rubber band around mine and call it good.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer

Yep I use shock cord but yeah no stuff sack needed.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Originally Posted by SnowyMountaineer

Yep I use shock cord but yeah no stuff sack needed.

Yep

“Live free or die. Death is not the worst of evils.” - General John Stark.
IC B2

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I wrap mine up in a small nylon sleeve that extends about 12" over the end where I lay my head. At night I stuff my down jacket between the sleeve and mattress for a very nice pillow that stays put during the night.

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
for cold weather, I had my Exped Downmat 9 last November on the late season Idaho archery deer hunt. 4 degrees F. laid out on the snow and I was just fine. A little heavier and bulkier than the neoair, but if you are concerned about cold, it was the ticket for me. Boots were frozen solid int he morning, but had a good night sleep.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
The Exped is awesome.
Most comfortable mat I have ever used.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by sawtoothsteve
for cold weather, I had my Exped Downmat 9 last November on the late season Idaho archery deer hunt. 4 degrees F. laid out on the snow and I was just fine. A little heavier and bulkier than the neoair, but if you are concerned about cold, it was the ticket for me. Boots were frozen solid int he morning, but had a good night sleep.

I agree those Expeds are comfy and warm when things get chilly. That said it isn't really fair to compare the exped directly to the neoair. IMO they are two different beasts. Yes the Exped will keep you warm when it gets cold, but I certainly wouldn't haul it along on my summer and early fall hunts when I could use a neoair at less than a 1/4 of the weight and still sleep just as comfy.

Both are great pads make no mistake, they are just tailored to two completely different time frames in which they really shine for what they were designed to do.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I use a space blanket/tarp under my neoair, and am never chilly.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, the neoair looks like the summer weight version of the exped offerings. If you only have the money to spend on one, the exped covers more territory. Or maybe not... I recently heard secondhand about Ed T's setup (from SG, Ed) that consists of neoair in concert with one or more of the thin closed cell foam pads. It sounds like you can match the R-Value of an exped at the same or even less weight using this combination. Don't bring the extra pad(s) when R-value isn't critical, do bring them when it is. That would make for a flexible, cost effective solution.

I recently scored a used exped synmat for $30, so I'm set for now. Hopefully by next summer I'll be able to budget for a neoair.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
"I recently scored a used exped synmat for $30, so I'm set for now"

Dude, I'll give you $35 sight unseen. That's a 17% profit

Just saying.....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
No doubt the neo is a really sweet mat. I used it mostly in the summer which is where I think it shines. Im a quilt sleeper and I could really feel the cold through the neo after about 30 degrees. My only complaint with the neo is its a little skinny. My arms hang off it sometimes.

For that reason I usually take a IAC with my quilt. If its going to be less that freezing I go with the exped down mat.

Both are great pads for different sleeping temps.

Now if you really want the best of both worlds go for a kooka bay!

"It's my main love for all things Ackley. Plus the dude was cool before cool was cool."

SH08
O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
I've been using the large neo for awhile now and agree with the posts above it's super comfy.

I bought a couple of these plasizote pads. 24x72 inches in the 1/8th weighs two ounces.

The combo of the 25 inch wide neo and the plastizote weigh 21 ounces.

I sew a fair bit and it took all of about 2 minutes to make a stuff sack for the neo out of some excess momentum from another project. And when folded a few times the foam pad makes a great seat for glassing/camp use.

Link to plastizote pad

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Let me get this right --

An overly expensive inflatable pad that deflates and you have to send it through the mail back to the manufacturer. Sometimes twice.

When it gets cold: don't use it.

Can't get it back into its stuff sack.

Put a closed-cell foam pad on top of it and there are no problems.

And this is an ENDORSEMENT?

Closed-cell foam never fails unless you drop it in a fire.

When you guys give up the inflatable pads you'll get a good night's sleep every time

Taylor

E
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
E
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor
Let me get this right --

An overly expensive inflatable pad that deflates and you have to send it through the mail back to the manufacturer. Sometimes twice.

When you guys give up the inflatable pads you'll get a good night's sleep every time

Taylor

This coming from a guy that carries two packs! And pours water in his sleeping bag! Hmmm

Ed T

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Wish I could get by with a ccf pad. I'll keep my Exped 7 for backpacking and my Exped 9 for atv camping. I would like to try one of these Neos next summer

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Originally Posted by Foxtrot
Wish I could get by with a ccf pad. I'll keep my Exped 7 for backpacking and my Exped 9 for atv camping. I would like to try one of these Neos next summer

Try a short thermarest on top of a piece of CCF/evazote. They make a 36in XS thermarest, just big enough to reach from your butt to your shoulders. Unless you have some really boney legs, there shouldn't be any real pressure points below your hips.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
My problem is that I don't have a good sleeping bag. If I had a really top flight sleeping bag, I'm sure I could get by with just a CC foam pad too. wink Someday...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Ed_T
Originally Posted by MarcTaylor
Let me get this right --

Taylor

This coming from a guy that carries two packs! And pours water in his sleeping bag! Hmmm
Pardon my ignorance but what does carrying 2 packs have to do with a sleeping pad?

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

494 members (1beaver_shooter, 12344mag, 01Foreman400, 10ring1, 17CalFan, 06hunter59, 52 invisible), 18,030 guests, and 1,299 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,842
Posts18,537,240
Members74,047
Most Online19,844
48 seconds ago

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.