Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I have not used or tested a 9mm in a long time. With all of the new ammo out I thought it was time to give it another go, because of post like this one

Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
Yeah, I know. People aren't made of sand and expansion reduces penetration. I've shot a lot of handgun bullets into varying substances and I've found that reliable expansion does not exist below about 1,000 fps, no matter what the test medium, although I've never tested any in balistic gel or on humans. I've shot cap and ball .451 RBs that expanded nicely in sand and I've seen a lot of HPs that wouldn't expand in anything. I shot one of these XTPs in clay cat litter. It did not expand at all and penetrated about 8". What these pics do prove is that the XTP expands better in sand than the Remington JHP. I also shot 2 liter pop bottles filled with water with both these rounds. The XTPs busted them pretty good. The Remingtons had the same effect as FMJs. Also, I set a piece of cardboard behind the bottles to see how much expansion I was getting. The holes in the cardboard matched the bullets pictured above.

I purchased a box of Fiocchi loaded with the Hornady 124 grain XTP/JHP. Yes , they do expand well, but not excessively and they penetrate rather well. In the past excellent expansion meant less than optimal penetration and excellent penetration meant less than stellar wound channels. So I felt a lack of love for the 9mm.
Well that seems to have changed the Fiocchi loads with the 124 grain XTP does appear to give good penetration coupled with reliable expansion. I intend to do more testing, but the early results look promising

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When the only 9mm's out there were full sized guns I could not feel any love for a 9mm. Now that we have them in 15oz pocket pistols and new ammo developments I can see a great niche. Been following Alan Jones' reports on new ammo developments and it looks like the Horny Critical Defense stuff is the best thing going right now. Going to give some a try out in my Kel Tech pocket gun and the wifes Colt Cobra 38.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
jwp, Did you happen to chrono those loads and what length barrel were you using?

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J
Originally Posted by RufusG
jwp, Did you happen to chrono those loads and what length barrel were you using?

I tried to, but for some reason I could not get a reading. I tried several different caliber trying to get a reading, but all I got was error

Will try again as time permits

These 124 grain XTP's exited 3 one gal milk jugs of water. I asked a couple of guys that are familar with this sort of testing how many jugs would it take to catch one and both answered 2. Well 3 wasn't enough. I do have 1 recovered bullet and I liked the expansion. I will get more jugs and see how many it takes, but 3 jugs is not bad at all

Last edited by jwp475; 10/29/10.

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by jwp475

I have not used or tested a 9mm in a long time. With all of the new ammo out I thought it was time to give it another go, because of post like this one

Originally Posted by Monolithic_Solid
Yeah, I know. People aren't made of sand and expansion reduces penetration. I've shot a lot of handgun bullets into varying substances and I've found that reliable expansion does not exist below about 1,000 fps, no matter what the test medium, although I've never tested any in balistic gel or on humans. I've shot cap and ball .451 RBs that expanded nicely in sand and I've seen a lot of HPs that wouldn't expand in anything. I shot one of these XTPs in clay cat litter. It did not expand at all and penetrated about 8". What these pics do prove is that the XTP expands better in sand than the Remington JHP. I also shot 2 liter pop bottles filled with water with both these rounds. The XTPs busted them pretty good. The Remingtons had the same effect as FMJs. Also, I set a piece of cardboard behind the bottles to see how much expansion I was getting. The holes in the cardboard matched the bullets pictured above.

I purchased a box of Fiocchi loaded with the Hornady 124 grain XTP/JHP. Yes , they do expand well, but not excessively and they penetrate rather well. In the past excellent expansion meant less than optimal penetration and excellent penetration meant less than stellar wound channels. So I felt a lack of love for the 9mm.
Well that seems to have changed the Fiocchi loads with the 124 grain XTP does appear to give good penetration coupled with reliable expansion. I intend to do more testing, but the early results look promising

JWP,
I would sure be interested in hearing about your final results.
smile

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

IC B2

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
I'm pushing 147gr XTP's at 1100 fps in my Glock17.

I'm loading Unique, QL calc's pressure about 37K. That's about halfway between standard 9mm, and 9mm+P.

Power Pistol would probably be a better powder, but since I have a bunch of Unique, that's what I'm using.

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Anybody ever tried blue dot?

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Originally Posted by the_shootist
Anybody ever tried blue dot?

I tried it a long time ago, before I ever had a chronograph, so I can't give any velocities for those loads.They were using the old Speer 100 gr. and 125s, from the Speer #9, IIRC.

But, big BUT, Herco and HS-6 were better, snappier loads using the same bullets. Herco gives great velocities but meters like mud, HS-6 is a ball powder and meters like water. Both have similar burning rates in a 9mm, generally speaking, and give about the same speeds with the same charges.
I'd go with either of those powders over Blue Dot, given a choice.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by MontanaMarine
I'm pushing 147gr XTP's at 1100 fps in my Glock17.

I'm loading Unique, QL calc's pressure about 37K. That's about halfway between standard 9mm, and 9mm+P.

Power Pistol would probably be a better powder, but since I have a bunch of Unique, that's what I'm using.

Shane,
That ain't bad at all.
I don't currently load for my G19, but if I did, I would sure give the XTP a whirl.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P

~ Well, 'Ballistic Experts' sure do know their stuff, and certainly know 'stuff' moreso (than I do) and the average potential 'maniacal' bad-guy encountered threat.

But, If I ever needed to to defend my self with a handgun - against some threatening armed 'human' threat ...

I would be more than grateful to have a lowly 9MM Pistol in my hand, even loaded with only my Winchester White Box Target Loads.

Heck, I'd even settle for my Beretta 'Tomcat' 32 acp in a pinch. Otherwise, the only weapon I ALWAYS 'carry' ... is my jack-knife.

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Herco is THE powder in 9mm. I try to get at least 1250 fps out of my handloads.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
JWP-475.....I did test the 9mm Luger a year ago with "self-defense" ammo of several brands. We used soaking wet newspaper, gives better indication of wound channel etc.

Brands of bullets used, were the Hornady, Cor-Bon, Pow - R -Ball, Double Tap, Winchester and Federal. The 9mm Luger caliber with Cor-Bon did very well, as did the Pow R Ball ammo, which was the highest in velocity. Ths ammo gives a wound channel inside the wet news print, like a bomb exploded inside the target. I traded for a Kahr 9mm and I have Cor-Bon and Pow R Ball loaded in the magazine clip.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

What about the penetration? Expansion iis fine as long as penetration is adequate

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
For what it is worth the Speer 9mm 124 gr Gold Dot Plus P is the load i use in my Kahr P9. I have never had to shoot another human but believe this load would get the job done.

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Same load I am carrying in my Kel Tech. Hope every one of those rounds goes unfired.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Jwp475....Now as I remember, the 9mm Luger with Cor-Bon self-defense loads penetrated some 5.75 inches into that soaking wet (dripping wet) newpaper that was bundled tightly together.
The .45acp 200grn self-defense ammo did like 7 inches and the 230 grn hardball did 7.75 inches. The .40 cal with self-defense Pow R Ball ammo did 6.25 inches but made a bigger wound channel.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

J
jwp475 Online Sleepy OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Online Sleepy
Campfire 'Bwana
J

Thanks

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Whatever ballistic problems the 9x19 Luger had have been fixed. The Cartridge is ONE HUNDRED YEARS OLD!

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Gun Tests magazine did some 9mm ammo testing not long ago. They also confered with some that have actually used some of this in gunfights. They gave high marks to both Speer's Gold Dot bullet loads and Hornady's XTP's.
Yes, the 9mm Lugar round has come a long way thanks to the development of good, reliable, expanding bullets. E

I
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I
Ask a Paramedic sometime if someone shot with a 9mm is any less dead than being shot with a 45ACP, 357 Magnum, 38 Special, or any other common handgun cartridges.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

601 members (12344mag, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1beaver_shooter, 06hunter59, 160user, 58 invisible), 2,387 guests, and 1,296 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,139
Posts18,484,059
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.