-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
When told up front, "we are in demand, backlogged, am willing to accept your work, but will contact you when the need arises, (as I've been told) you have a choice to make.

In demand custom work goes that way.

I don't know if that's the scenario here, but understand that it could be.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
When told up front, "we are in demand, backlogged, am willing to accept your work, but will contact you when the need arises, (as I've been told) you have a choice to make.

In demand custom work goes that way.

I don't know if that's the scenario here, but understand that it could be.

Well a simple phone call would have put this mess to rest. It smacks of arrogance to just ignore inquiries.

I ordered a Tyler-T-grip about four months ago, I understand that they are in high demand, and their output is small. After three months I gave them a call just to make sure I hadn't slipped through the cracks, they were very polite and reassuring that they still had the order...this is on a $40 part. If one wants to make a living or a side job working with the public, they ought to respect their customers.

P
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
I don't have a dog in this particular fight, but something seems to have changed in much of the business world, including gunsmithing. Seems that communication with customers is seen as a bother, or optional.

The reason I am posting this now, is that the other day I was going through some correspondence files, and came upon a few letters from gunsmiths, that were hand typed, single spaced, sometimes running more than a single page. These from the '70s and '80s.

I know that time is money, but something has changed over the years. In this day of electronic communications, it's hard to understand why a brief e-mail or quick phone call wouldn't go a long way toward avoiding misunderstandings and ill will, which few businesses can afford.

Just my $.02

Paul

Stupidity has its way, while its cousin, evil, runs rampant.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Paul39
I don't have a dog in this particular fight, but something seems to have changed in much of the business world, including gunsmithing. Seems that communication with customers is seen as a bother, or optional.

The reason I am posting this now, is that the other day I was going through some correspondence files, and came upon a few letters from gunsmiths, that were hand typed, single spaced, sometimes running more than a single page. These from the '70s and '80s.

I know that time is money, but something has changed over the years. In this day of electronic communications, it's hard to understand why a brief e-mail or quick phone call wouldn't go a long way toward avoiding misunderstandings and ill will, which few businesses can afford.

Just my $.02

Paul

Many also don't realize that this is the era of consumer friendly. Those who refuse to change will be replaced in the market with those who do.

I do photo restorations on the side, I have a policy that if you are not satisfied, don't pay. I'll do my best to restore your picture, but if it isn't to your liking I don't want you to pay for something not to your liking. I have not been paid for jobs I have spent three or four hours on, jobs I don't think anyone could do better, but I would rather they sut-up and go away, than bitch and moan to others that they had to pay for what they thought was sub-par work.

I always email a proof if possible and ask if they are happy with the finished product, if not, what they would like to see different. I always return emails or calls.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
from the reply:

"Ok, should I send the fitted stock as well?"

"My apologies.
I ran one stock and there was a crack that showed up thru the wrist, I have photos of that, and I think I already sent photos of the cracked blank, I can resend ... "

"I will quit immediately and ship all if that is your request. Or I'll finish and ship..."

"I thought there might be doubt, so I've taken pictures of the discards.
I guess please advise, I will gladly box whats left and ship all tomorrow if that is your desire."

At any rate, it's been informative.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mako25
from the reply:

"Ok, should I send the fitted stock as well?"

"My apologies.
I ran one stock and there was a crack that showed up thru the wrist, I have photos of that, and I think I already sent photos of the cracked blank, I can resend ... "

"I will quit immediately and ship all if that is your request. Or I'll finish and ship..."

"I thought there might be doubt, so I've taken pictures of the discards.
I guess please advise, I will gladly box whats left and ship all tomorrow if that is your desire."

At any rate, it's been informative.

Well that is fine, that is not the issue, the issue is months of no replies, and that is not consumer friendly.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I haven't decided if I'd send 'im work or not. I guess I'd want some positive feedback (and examples of work), 'cause in all honesty, all I've seen here is negative - and I don't think they are lying.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It takes 2 minutes to reply to a customer's inquiry.

If you can't do that, you'll never see my business.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I had him do some work on a stock and never again. Communication was non exhistant from Clausde, He was almost a year past his promised delivery date, and the ebony grip cap he did was beyond terrible.

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

OK today I got about five emails from Claude. Now I ask you all why could he not have taken the time to send a few of those emails some time ago? Was it my threat to inform the local DA?

I know custom work takes awhile and if kept informed I am willing to wait. I was in no particular hurry for the stock. It's not like I'm leaving for Africa next week. If he can send a number of emails within hours today he surely could have done so before. I'm not sure about his claim to be swamped with work.

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I would be getting my stuff back and finding somebody else to do the work.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by M1Tanker
I had him do some work on a stock and never again. Communication was non exhistant from Clausde, He was almost a year past his promised delivery date, and the ebony grip cap he did was beyond terrible.

Did yours fall off?

[Linked Image]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I ordered a Brockman's front sight on July 3rd of this year, just received the sight today.

guess they had a bad shipment that had to be returned and then the orders replaced.

guess that's the way it goes sometimes.

also have a knife paid for in full to Roy/Wildswalker for a year now, but that's different imo, I told him up front I wished him the best in his new endeavor and if he needed to back burner someone if he got overwhelmed he was free to do so with me.

I don't lose a lot of sleep wondering if Roy is gonna nick me for $250.

I'm willing to wait, or state otherwise upfront.

hope all works out for the OP

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
I hesitate to post in this thread since the topic (Claude Gatewood) brings up many adverse feelings. Contact me off-line if you would like to hear about my experience. I don't post much on this board so out of respect for the admins I will leave it alone. All I will say is get as much of your stuff back NOW but don't count on ever seeing your deposit again.

-- Brian/ale

"What I'd really like to do is go down in history as the President who<BR>made Americans believe in themselves again." -- Ronald W. Reagan.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
I don't care who you are or your reputation, mishandling good faith on the part of a customer is unacceptable. I have had 4 custom rifles built by Dennis Olson in Plains, MT and I never waited more than a few months for the entire project to be completed. I would send him an action and he would build the rest. Dennis doesn't charge outrageous fees either. His work is as good as any in the business...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Those are nice!

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Claude must have studied under Jack Belk.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
shrapnel; Those are beautiful. Are they the ones that are a photo of wood on top of a synthetic stock? Just kidding! grin I love good wood like that and sometimes wish I had a nice blank to contemplate.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
The most significant thing about that wood is that it is all American Walnut. It isn't easy to find blanks with that much figure...

[Linked Image from i.postimg.cc]
S
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S

Update.

He did, finally, send back my barreled action, but despite numerous emails has not yet sent back my wood or any part of my $375.00 deposit.

I selected him because he seemed to have a good reputation on this forum. I guess he fooled more than just me. Has anyone had a positive experience with him? Has anyone heard from him recently?

www.paracay.com

It's better to live rich than die rich. Live simply so that I may simply live large.
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

588 members (10gaugeman, 16penny, 163bc, 1234, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 60 invisible), 2,154 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,820
Posts18,496,507
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.