Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Thanks, Gary. I emailed him as well and he did reply but I had a few more qs.

GB1

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Gary and Jeff,

Again, I thank you for your efforts regarding this "group buy", so to speak. I have to be candid and say that committing to a USSG Z98 for around $1,000 does not appeal to me and kind of defeats the purpose of looking at this rifle as a "bargain M98", "donor action", "truck gun", or whatever you wish to call it. This family of rifles, regardless of what they've been called in the past, has always been regarded as an entry-level Mauser 98.

I picked one of these up recently in 30.06 and paid less than $300 shipped, NIB. FWIW, I don't think they are using Butler Creek synthetic stocks these days. The M98 Butler Creek stock I purchased for a 318 W-R project was finished much better than the stocks USSG is using currently. Overall, these are very rough and basic. Unless there is a noticeable improvement in the finished rifle, it would be difficult to justify the price increase.

Still, if this gets any traction and the possibility exists for getting rifles chambered in either 7x64 and 9.3x62, I'd give you my undivided attention.

I'm becoming more tolerant of intolerant people.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I don't think anyone is interested or looking for an expensive Z98, in any cartridge. I'm not, but I am looking at the options to see how cheaply one could be had in a non-standard import. I'll make up my mind when I see a bottom dollar.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
me,too. like i said from the start, once the variables are known we can make an informed group decision.

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Fellas,

I realize it's only been a couple of days but would be interested to know if there's been any progress on the USSG/Zastava front?

Thanks in advance for any updates.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
The US Importer wanted an order before any more discussion took place so he could see what "he could do" with regard to prices. I counted the interest here and on AR and came up with 23 rifles or thereabouts. I told him 23 LH rifles in various calibers and am currently awaiting his response. I will post it when he does and if I don't hear from him by day's end I'll email him again to see what he has come up with.

Jeff

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Jeff,

Just to clarify something that might be important, is this only for LH rifles or would it help the numbers if some RH rifles were added in chamberings they don't normally import into the U.S? As I noted in an earlier post, I'm RH, not LH but would be interested in at least two, possibly three, and maybe even four of the rifles off their website. I suspect that the specific models I'm looking at are not brought into the U.S., which is why if this goes anywhere, I'd love to participate.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I posed that very question as well and am awaiting a response.

J

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
UPDATE:

I again spoke with the USA Importer, whom I have no problem saying publicly is very difficult to deal with, and he tells me he will contact the factory in Serbia by month's end and will have prices. Another member contact me for 2 more 375s today so my order at this point including 24 hourcampfire members has hit 25 rifles in LH configuration.

Essentially gents, we need our feet on the sand price wise so if this guy actually comes around with a number I can report it and then see if additional RH guns will change it in any appreciable way or perhaps some other LH bretheren will jump on board for this deal if it is reasonable to us all.

Jeff

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by JS_LaCourse
UPDATE:

I again spoke with the USA Importer, whom I have no problem saying publicly is very difficult to deal with, and he tells me he will contact the factory in Serbia by month's end and will have prices. Another member contact me for 2 more 375s today so my order at this point including 24 hourcampfire members has hit 25 rifles in LH configuration.

Essentially gents, we need our feet on the sand price wise so if this guy actually comes around with a number I can report it and then see if additional RH guns will change it in any appreciable way or perhaps some other LH bretheren will jump on board for this deal if it is reasonable to us all.

Jeff

Well, any progress is progress, right? It's unfortunate that the U.S. importer is being so difficult. (That's never a good sign, IMO.) Anyway - fingers crossed.

I do have a few other points/questions that you may or may not be able to answer or make more clear.

- I am still a little puzzled as to why this remains a LH v. RH thing. Maybe I'm reading too much into this? It just seems to me that, regardless of whether you're LH or RH, if we can get enough folks interested and committed, it will drive the costs down and then everyone who participates will benefit. Perhaps there are some things I'm not aware of but do you think the importer really cares what configuration each rifle comes in, so long as there are enough to meet his minimum?

- In looking through the Zastava website, it's apparent that they have a large number of models, chamberings, options, configurations, etc. Are all of these "in play (available)", so to speak?

- Might be getting ahead of things here but, assuming this effort proceeds and comes to fruition, how would the individual rifles be dispersed?

- You mentioned a "line in the sand" price per unit. What figures have been discussed on this front, to this point? If every model that Zastava offers is available, I would imagine the minimum costs would vary (maybe a lot).

Thanks again for being the ring-leader on this and please keep us posted.

Last edited by pinotguy; 12/15/10.

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
hi pinot,

it appears all models are in play caliber wise. i just listed what people have mentioned in terms of interest. the only price figures given by him was a 20% premium over RH models (reason never given since they already make the LH so no addi tooling seems required).

i don't really know why it seems like a LH vs RH thing either. I've asked about RH guns and he hasn't replied. Finally, as far as dispersing the rifles I assume if it all came to fruition we would deal with the US Importer directly since I have no interest in having to setup an escrow account for OPM!

I also am having a discussion with the guys in OZ who deal as Beretta Australia since they import Zastava there and they'll find out if they can export to the US and whether the clown I'm talking to would still be in the mix.

I'll post more as soon as I know more.

Jeff

C
C
New to forum. First reply. Please be tolerant of my ignorance of this thread's history..

I am interested in any left hand LH new or used Mauser 98 derived rifles or actions. In my opinion Zastava will be a difficult proposition. The CZs are way too costly compared to what was available from this manufacturer though. And before Remington chose not to import the left hand rifles there were always enough complications with Charles Daly.

For those of us who are interested in large, especially long magnum length cartridges, I think it would be easier to lobby for a LH Winchester Model 70 African. I would buy one in an instant. Anyone going to Shot Show 2011? Let's start a petition. Thanks.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
US Importer has sent order to Zastava and is currently awaiting response with pricing info. will post when i get it.

jeff

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That LK M70 would be an awfully nice 9,2X62 configuration, IMO. They already make it, and it shouldn't be a big problem to promote it here in the US a bit.

Hunt with Class and Classics

Religion: A founder of The Church of Spray and Pray

Acquit v. t. To render a judgment in a murder case in San Francisco... EQUAL, adj. As bad as something else. Ambrose Bierce “The Devil's Dictionary”

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
US Importer has sent order to Zastava and is currently awaiting response with pricing info. will post when i get it.

jeff

Jeff,

What are the particulars (quantity, chamberings, configurations, etc) of this order? Did I miss a thread where I could have submitted a request?

K
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
K
I was surprised to see this thread still alive. And funny that it took a turn towards lefty rifles. I'm left handed but shoot right primarily.

Anyway, point of my post is I bought the Mark X I was looking at when I started this thread. Just bought it yesterday for $320 out the door. IT has a Fajen walnut stock and Redfield mount and rings.

I was looking into my swap to 9.3 and found that Lothar Walther has prefitted barrels for the mauser in 9.3 for $219. They need finish reaming only, it appears. Midway has PTG reamers for $95 and go/no go gages for $28 each, so for $370 I could have it completed except for barrel finishing.

Any reason to avoid the LW barrels?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Originally Posted by kletzenklueffer

That question alone will ensure this thread will continue for another five pages, minimum. smirk

IMO, there's no reason to avoid using L-W barrels. The trick is finding someone who has experience with them to do the metal work, especially chambering, for you.

z1r Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by kletzenklueffer
I was surprised to see this thread still alive. And funny that it took a turn towards lefty rifles. I'm left handed but shoot right primarily.

Anyway, point of my post is I bought the Mark X I was looking at when I started this thread. Just bought it yesterday for $320 out the door. IT has a Fajen walnut stock and Redfield mount and rings.

I was looking into my swap to 9.3 and found that Lothar Walther has prefitted barrels for the mauser in 9.3 for $219. They need finish reaming only, it appears. Midway has PTG reamers for $95 and go/no go gages for $28 each, so for $370 I could have it completed except for barrel finishing.

Actually, the LW Art 72x series barrels are long chambered. You simply adjust the shoulder and shank length to achieve correct headspace. They are not short chambered and therefore do not require finish reaming.

No reason in the world to avoid them. Unless you don't have a lathe or are opposed to farming out the work. I just installed two yestderday. All that I have installed have been superb shooters.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
UPDATE RE PRICING:

I submitted for the following LH calibers and got this response from the US Importer and Zastva:

7x57 and 9.3 x 62: $525 USD

375 H&H and 458 Win Mag: $600 USD.

All must be prepaid. Where do we stand now?

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
UPDATE RE PRICING:

I submitted for the following LH calibers and got this response from the US Importer and Zastva:

7x57 and 9.3 x 62: $525 USD

375 H&H and 458 Win Mag: $600 USD.

All must be prepaid. Where do we stand now?

Jeff - What specific model and stock configuration (wood or synthetic) are these quotes for? Is there a minimum number of rifles needed for this pricing structure? If this is just for lefty rifles, I'm afraid I'll have to pass. If there's a chance to piggy-back some RH rifles on this (to help with overall numbers), I'd still be interested.

Page 3 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 1lesfox, 1badf350, 61 invisible), 2,297 guests, and 1,255 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,705
Posts18,494,387
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.