Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I like the Weaver style a lot, and imo the best rings under $100 are the Burris Signature Zee rings by far.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Better than warne??? I think the ZEE rings are good but feel the warnes are much stronger and have a much more positive recoil lug. They also don't mark my scopes.

1 and done
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Warne rings ought to be good, they weigh enough. wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Originally Posted by highridge1
Better than warne??? I think the ZEE rings are good but feel the warnes are much stronger and have a much more positive recoil lug. They also don't mark my scopes.

Really??? you must have never used the signature Zee rings, I would take a set any day over the warne. plus with the inserts you can ajust windage or elevation and they wont mark your scope the warne's may

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
As to the OP's question, I think the weaver style is a bit better than the dual dove tail. either will work well but it depends on the specific application.
Weaver style bases absolutely SUCK if they are not anodized aluminum or steel (most picatinny rails are anodized but make sure) and as mentioned the dual dove tail is a one use deal

p.s. either of these two method's is superior to the windage screw rear base that is perhaps the worst idea EVER !!!!!!

Last edited by rockchuck828; 11/07/10.
IC B2

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
While DD are not good for scope swapping you can take the ring tops off, remove scope, and then take the bases off without having to remove the ring from the base and in that way they are good for more than a one time shot.
The Burris Signature Zee rings are great rings but the screw pretty fugly IMO. I have a few sets but prefer the DD version in more refined applications.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by FVA
While DD are not good for scope swapping you can take the ring tops off, remove scope, and then take the bases off without having to remove the ring from the base and in that way they are good for more than a one time shot.

What if you need to adjust the alignment of the rings? What are the chances the receiver you�re transferring the base+ring bottoms to is identical to the receiver you pulled the base+ring bottoms off of? Not very likely, which means you�re going to be moving the ring(s), and the original friction bond will be weakened because you�re losing a small amount of metal as you scrape those surfaces against one another.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by rockchuck828
...p.s. either of these two method's is superior to the windage screw rear base that is perhaps the worst idea EVER !!!!!!

Agreed. Right in front of them on the useless scale are the windage adjustable rings, like Warne and US Optics offer.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Originally Posted by FVA

What if you need to adjust the alignment of the rings? What are the chances the receiver you�re transferring the base+ring bottoms to is identical to the receiver you pulled the base+ring bottoms off of? Not very likely, which means you�re going to be moving the ring(s), and the original friction bond will be weakened because you�re losing a small amount of metal as you scrape those surfaces against one another.

Uh, what you talking about Willis?
Thinking your thinking a bit too much on that one.

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Magnumdood,

I'm with FVA on this one.

How do you adjust the scope rings if your reciever is not exactly the same with the Weaver Z mounts?

Point is, you can't, unless you lap just like with the DD mounts.

If your reciever isn't drilled and tapped straight you are going to have the same problem no matter which mounts you use unless you have an adjustable base. Hence the reason the windage adjustable rear base mounts are so popular with some folks. Or the Burris signature rings w/posi-align inserts. These mounts attempt to compensate for loose tolerances in gun manufacturing

I don't care for either of those options or the Weavers simply because I think they're ugly. Leupold DD mounts, IMO, are attractive, strong and I personally have not had a problem with them causing damage to any of my scope tubes.

If you use caution and have a little patience with DD mounts it can be done correctly without the need for lapping. Fact is, many people just don't have the patience to do it right, YMMV.

I also happen to really like the Talley steel fixed ring/base combo. Many complain about these causing damage also. Again, I'm not seeing it with my scopes. Having said that, when I mount a scope up, if things don't appear to line up correctly as I'm working then I stop and find out what is wrong and then correct it before I proceed.

I have a Winchester Model 70 that's 30 thousandths of an inch off in regards to the rear reciever bridge. Leupold DDs didn't work, neither would the Weavers if I had tried. You could visibly see the scope tipping up in the air when you placed it in the rings. Tightening down the rings on the scope would have surely bent the tube. I called up Talley Manufacturing regarding this and they did their level best to help me fix the problem and get my rifle functioning properly. They machined me a custom base that was .030" higher than their standard Rear Win 70 base, would not allow me to pay extra for the trouble and it was shipped the very next day. Furthermore, three days later Mr Turner from Talley called me personally to see if I had recieved the new bases and to make sure that my problem had been resolved.

Wow, now that's customer service, above and beyond what Weaver or Leupold would have done.

I believe Talley will be getting more of my business in the future.

Leftybolt

Last edited by leftybolt; 11/08/10.
IC B3

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I like,

Talley one-piece light weights
Leupold Weaver bases with Burris Rings

I no longer use the Dual Dovetails.

Cannot argue which is better...only know what I like.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by leftybolt
Magnumdood,

I'm with FVA on this one.

How do you adjust the scope rings if your reciever is not exactly the same with the Weaver Z mounts?

You get a one-piece Weaver rail and bed it to the reciever. You then buy some decent rings and you're in business. I've never had to lap good rings or Burris Signature rings. And you can move the rings from rail to rail. The DD is a one-use system.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Personally I am not a fan of weaver rails over the port of bolt guns.
I also prefer to put a ring system on that I intend to be there for the life of the rifle so personally ease of swapping a scope doesn't come into play.
I can see the merit if you carry a back up scope but I just take my chances. Worse comes to worse you can usually borrow a rifle.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
In all fairness, I set up ALL my rifles with a Picatinny rail in the "tactical" fashion, even if all I'll ever do is hunt with it. I am slowly (they're expensive, but they are the best mount out there, hands down) encasing all my scopes in Near Mfg. Alpha mounts. These are unimounts, but the name is taken, so he (Richard Near, owner of Near Mfg.) could not call them that. I bed the rails (Near Mfg. rails) to remove any stress the receiver run-out induces. Richard makes an Alpha Mount that is for the hunting scope. The Alpha Mount is a technological marvel. He makes them from a composite alloy that is lighter than steel, yet stronger than steel and aluminum.

My goal is to have a Near Picatinny rail on every firearm I own, and every scope in a Near Mfg. Alpha Mount. That way, I can move scopes around to different rifles, or even handguns, without having to worry too much about the initial set-up.

Sure, some receiver holes will be oriented slightly differently that other receivers; I can isolate the outliers and keep a permanent optic on them.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
The DD is a one-use system.

I haven't found that at all. Put a little anti gall lube on them and they're fine.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by mathman
The DD is a one-use system.

I haven't found that at all. Put a little anti gall lube on them and they're fine.

So, it's your finding that anti gall lube prevents any metal loss when the dovetail is turned into place?

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I think the bigger issue using DD more than a time or two, I'm talking complete undoing /redo, is stretch rather than metal loss.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I've dis/re assembled them several times and didn't find any problems. No galling "dragmarks" or whatever. The torque on the ring wrench required to turn them back into place didn't indicate they had worn loose.

I'm not saying I'd use them on/off over and over again, but the ones I've tried sure didn't wear out in one pass.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
leupold prw's !

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
I use Leupold dual dovetail, on all of my guns. I would not hesitate to use Talley's or Burris Signature rings with inserts. There all great mounting systems.

NRA LIFE MEMBER
OHA LIFE MEMBER
RMEF LIFE MEMBER
*MOLON LABE SKYLA*
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

250 members (01Foreman400, 12344mag, 160user, 280rem_cm, 35, 2UP, 22 invisible), 1,697 guests, and 1,046 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,244
Posts18,485,985
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.