Print Thread
Hop To
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I've got a M70 Classic stainless/synthetic in 338 win that has a black plastic follower. It tends to ride up a little higher than I think it should, dragging on the bottom of the bolt a pretty good lick. Plus it looks cheap. Anyone here replaced the plastic follower with an aluminum unit? And, if so, what brand did you use and how was the fit?

Thanks

God is great, beer is good, and people are crazy...
HR IC

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Tell me what's stamped on the side of your magazine.. Is it MLS or KFC?

I can then give you the part number and you can order one direct from Winnie..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wasn't aware that Winchester ever used a plastic follower on any Model 70. That seems kinda chintzy.

`Bring Enough Gun`
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Redneck

I'll check it tonight and let you know.

Thanks

C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by orion03
Wasn't aware that Winchester ever used a plastic follower on any Model 70. That seems kinda chintzy.

That's what I thought. Now I'm wondering if it's a Kentucky Fried Carbine?

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Unfortunately, they have. I have two New Haven Model 70 push feeds, and one of them has a plastic follower.

I'll be replacing mine with this:

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct/?productnumber=151826

Last edited by Armen; 11/08/10.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Some Kimbers use a plastic follower, also.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
i have one on my vanguard, they switched from metal. the feeding is slicker, it won't rust, and it makes my rifle lighter. i'm ok with it.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
They have two different ones that are labeled as 'graphite'..

Yeah, right.. laugh

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
I've had three M70 stainless rifles that came with the plastic followers, I replaced all of them with factory steel units. One I got from a gunsmith, one from another fellow online, and one I swapped out of another rifle I had before I sold it, the guy buying it only wanted the action. I don't know what the hell winchester was thinking putting plastic followers in their rifles, they had enough QC problems already then they go using plastic parts. Stupid beancounter decisions, save $.50 by using a plastic part and piss away any reputation you ever had for quality. Way to go!

IC B3

B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
Is it the follower or the spring that is causing the issue? I would rather have metal of some sort myself but have to admit the "plastic" mags I use in my M4 have held up better than the metal issue ones.

Keep your powder dry and stay frosty my friends.
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C

Side of magazine has MLS stamped on it, follower has "K" stamped on the front underside.

While I'm at this, is there any simple way to replace/alter the magazine box to allow for longer seating depth without getting into machine work on the action or stock inletting? Right now the longest I can seat the bullets out still allows for a .090" jump.

Thanks

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Ask Redneck. You could remove the block in the magazine box,or get a H&H box.Keep in mind this may require replacent/modification of ejector and bolt stop.All of which is no big deal. I've modified a few M70 Classics to H&H length.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by CFVA

Side of magazine has MLS stamped on it, follower has "K" stamped on the front underside.

While I'm at this, is there any simple way to replace/alter the magazine box to allow for longer seating depth without getting into machine work on the action or stock inletting? Right now the longest I can seat the bullets out still allows for a .090" jump.

Thanks
You need this follower: part # U353601130.. Call 800-322-4626 XT 2863 to order..

Re: longer rounds; Either your existing mag box can be altered or you can just obtain an 'E' box - but then you're going to need a different follower to work with that box (or your modified one). The 'E' series has been obsolete at Winnie, but available at GPC.. Just have a fat wallet when you order.. And then you need follower: U353601140 to match it..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by CFVA

Thanks
You need this follower: part # U353601130.. Call 800-322-4626 XT 2863 to order..

Re: longer rounds; Either your existing mag box can be altered or you can just obtain an 'E' box - but then you're going to need a different follower to work with that box (or your modified one). The 'E' series has been obsolete at Winnie, but available at GPC.. Just have a fat wallet when you order.. And then you need follower: U353601140 to match it..

Thank you for the info, I appreciate it very much.

The fat wallet part scares me. Is there a readily available procedure for modifying my present box or should I just leave well enough alone til I see how it shoots?

Thanks again.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd shoot it first.. You might be very surprised. Keep in mind the freebore on Wbys is huge.. Yet they normally shoot rather well..

Cost of modifying your existing box is less, of course, but then there's always the risk of some damage.. You'll still need a new follower, one way or the other...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
C
CFVA Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Will do.

Thanks again.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

535 members (219 Wasp, 10Glocks, 21, 1minute, 260madman, 1OntarioJim, 59 invisible), 2,419 guests, and 1,210 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,431
Posts18,489,256
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.