Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I see no reason to tape the muzzle.

The wisdom of a guy who couldn't tell a push feed from a controlled feed action...

HR IC

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by JohnMoses
Originally Posted by Steelhead
I am AMAZED at the folks that say they tape only when raining. People [bleep] baffle me.

What's baffling about hunting with an untaped bore? I agree it's a good idea in wet, freezing temps, but otherwise, none of my hunts or rifles have suffered any adverse affects of having an open bore.

never taped one cause of rain or cold.....as i said they in general arent a worry of mine.....have had dirt get in a muzzle and the gun was in the pickup cause of muddy boots there was mud on the floor....standard practice out hunting when driving between walking spots is to wedge your gun between the seat and center console muzzle down.....couple real bumpy spots and one of the rifles happened to slip down and get shoved into some mud.....glad i noticed it and happened to have a cleaning kit in the truck.....

the tape helps keep stupid lil chit like that from happening and helps protect the crown....is it necessary? no but those that dont see the point likely dont hunt in places where footing can be iffy at best, dangerous at worst....rain isnt a concern other crap is.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you hit the end of the barrel hard enough to damage the crown, tape ain't gonna prevent it.

I guess it will keep stuff out of the bbl., but I'm still waiting on that bee... grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
protects it from the lil stuff that does the real damage to most crowns anyway.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Pass the black electrical tape please....

The very first time you say "It ain't gonna happen to me" you'll be walking your arse back to camp with a tube full of chit..

Why would anyone NOT want to use it should be the real question.

Last edited by CLB; 11/10/10.
IC B2

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
No downside to taping, lots of downsides to not taping. That you don't at times suprises me none. As I've said before you ain't the brightest tool in the shed.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
JohnMoses:

I've got a solution for you since you don't like tape and you are still waiting for that bee to go into your barrel...

Get a squeeze bottle of Sue Bee honey from the grocery and put a nice squirt of honey inside the end of your barrel. It'll keep the dirt and rain out of the rest of your barrel. And if you are patient you might be able to kill two or three bees at once. If the bees don't show, you might want to suck the honey out before you take your next shot. LOL

This could give new meaning to to term "a real sweet shooter".

(Disclaimer: Kids, don't try any of this at home, really).

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Some folks bee stupider than others...............DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Dancing Bear
Scotch 33+ for cold weather.

Use two pieces in a cross. Wrap more around your barrel for easy replacement.

I see no difference in accuracy.

Dancing Bear has the answer. Exactly what I do.
Bear in Fairbanks

"Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes."
Amazingly, I've lived long enough to see a President who is worse than Carter.
And finally,
Gun control means using two hands.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you spiral the tape off the end of the barrel to a sharp point you will have a higher ballistic coefficient.

It will take experimentation to determine the best twist-rate for a particular weight bullet.

Nifty-250

"If you don't know where you're going, you may wind up somewhere else".
Yogi Berra
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
In heavy freezing-rain type conditions, which I will admit are rare but I have spent the day hunting in them... wouldn't a muzzle-taper have to worry about water getting in the bore from the breech end, being prevented from escaping by the tape, and freezing into a "plug"?

I guess for some people, in some conditions, falling and plugging a bore is a valid concern. Haven't felt the need myself but I won't argue that other's don't. But for RAIN, as the OP was asking, chit I hunt in the rain all day long, did it several times this last season.. the rifle gets soaked. I'm sure there was no end to the water that entered the breech of my gun and ran out the muzzle. No big deal.

In fact several deer I've shot, I clearly rememeber getting a facefull of droplets from the bolt/breech area when I fired the rifle! smile

Anyway. Won't argue that tape makes sense on some level but, on THAT level, so do service contracts on your phookin' new DVD player or AFLAC (insurance on your insurance) and generally speaking I don't play the game that way.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Swampman700
I see no reason to tape the muzzle.

Why am I not surprised? You don't see lots of things that are obvious.

Had to go back to the trailer one year on opening morning because I took aq spill off a mule and mud ended up in the barrel. Another time I crawled 100 yards on my back, pushing myself headfirst through snow and sage and catus with my feet. I managed to keep the barrel clear of snow and debris until I sat upright to take a shot. Fortunately the bull was very patient, but I was lucky. Tape would have been an easy solution in both situations.

Also, I'm guessing you don['t get much freezing rain in Florida. Ice build up in our barrel will change you mind quickly.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We don't worry too much about ice build up. We'll leave that to you boys.

I suppose, I'm just more particular about where my muzzle is/goes. And yes, mine has seen the muddy pick up dog hunt days, in and out of a pick up with a rifle muzzle down in the floor. It's never been a problem and if it was, I'd just clean it out. No big deal. And yes, we do have lots of mud and clay here for some slippery footing and muddy boots. But I'm happy for you, that you have it all worked out.

There is no accounting for taste.

Experience is a great thing as long as one survives it.

Generally, there ain't a lot that separates the two however,
Barely making it is a whole lot more satisfying than barely not making it.
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Put a small blue party balloon over the muzzle. Red, yellow, orange, green, pink, etc will simply not work at all. Mostly I don't worry about it, but with a muzzle brake on my elk rifle, falling snow becomes an issue. Then I go to the blue balloon.

Last edited by 1minute; 11/10/10.

1Minute
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Red tape MUST be used in the Southern Hemisphere...

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What's all that blue stuff on your sling?

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jeff_O
In heavy freezing-rain type conditions, which I will admit are rare but I have spent the day hunting in them... wouldn't a muzzle-taper have to worry about water getting in the bore from the breech end, being prevented from escaping by the tape, and freezing into a "plug"?

Uh No. The breech end is pretty well sealed by the bolt and chambered round......................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
M
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by AJD
What's all that blue stuff on your sling?

Blue's OK on the sling, but should never be used on the barrel wink

AJD Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
OK, got it.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by djpaintless
Originally Posted by Jeff_O

Uh No. The breech end is pretty well sealed by the bolt and chambered round......................DJ

Sealed against WATER!? All day in the rain? With gravity assisting it (I carry muzzle-down)?!

With all due respect... no WAY, hoser! grin grin

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
Page 3 of 14 1 2 3 4 5 13 14

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

560 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 59 invisible), 2,481 guests, and 1,242 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,562
Posts18,491,792
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.