Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#4450589 09/26/10
Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I picked up a stainless Puma 92 in .357.

The fit and finish are far superior to anything I have found out of the winchester plant in some years. Being curious as to exactly what I have, I made some effort to search forums for information.

It's difficult to glean consistant information because someone will inevitably jump in the thread to rant about a bad rossi rifle experience 20 years ago instead of sticking to the topic of PUMA.

I have been able to ascertain from those emotional responses that there must be a considerable difference in quality depending on when and where it was made and that Rossi, Puma, Legacy, Interarms, etc are not necessarily synonymous depending on date of importation.

I have yet to find a site that outlines the history of Puma/Rossi/Legacy etc with any consisitancy.

I also noted there is a considerable difference in opinion as to book value on PUMA. I'm guessing it's all tied to date of manufacture and which factory they came from at the time.

Is there one source that sums this up accurately?

Is there a date of manufacture code?

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by Strider; 09/26/10.

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
You probably already know more than me about it, but its never stopped me from pontificating anyway.

To the best of my knowledge, Winchester '92s were copied through patent infringement, down in South America years ago. These were known either brand-wise or generically as "El Tigre". At some point, the quality began to rival Winchester's. As to the Puma itself, I dunno. You've got your Winchesters, your Miroku's and your South American ones. Now there are Italian ones too. Rossi is now owned by Taurus.

I know of no comprehensive authority on them. My guess is they are a one-to-one deal and what they are worth is like anything else, dependent on how bad the dude you're dealing with wants it. It is easy to get insulted on one. I took one I'd picked up in a trade into Cabela's to try and trade on a higher gun. After waiting for a long time, the guy says like $250. Well, the new ones were like $500 at the time.

Anyway, hope you find something out as I'm not much help.

Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Thanks, interesting.

My rifle has M92 PUMA, Rossi and LSI markings on it.

I noted there are two separate listings in Blue Book for Rossi and PUMA and each makes mention of the other. There is a considerable difference in value. How can you tell between them?

Any idea on determining date of manufacture?

When did they start slapping safety's on them?

The Constitution shall never be construed... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms.

Samuel Adams

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by Strider
Thanks, interesting.

I noted there are two separate listings in Blue Book for Rossi and PUMA and each makes mention of the other. There is a considerable difference in value. How can you tell between them?

My understanding is LSI is an importer . I have a LSI Puma made by Rossi in .45 LC .

I recently bought a Braziltech Rossi in .357 Mag .

LSI , as I understand , quit importing Rossies and started importing Italian rifles and calling them Pumas .

I think other importers have sold both Rossies and Italian M92 clones .

God bless
Wyr

W
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
W
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
You probably already know more than me about it, but its never stopped me from pontificating anyway.

To the best of my knowledge, Winchester '92s were copied through patent infringement, down in South America years ago. These were known either brand-wise or generically as "El Tigre". At some point, the quality began to rival Winchester's. As to the Puma itself, I dunno. You've got your Winchesters, your Miroku's and your South American ones. Now there are Italian ones too. Rossi is now owned by Taurus.

I know of no comprehensive authority on them. My guess is they are a one-to-one deal and what they are worth is like anything else, dependent on how bad the dude you're dealing with wants it. It is easy to get insulted on one. I took one I'd picked up in a trade into Cabela's to try and trade on a higher gun. After waiting for a long time, the guy says like $250. Well, the new ones were like $500 at the time.

Anyway, hope you find something out as I'm not much help.

I do not know how long , different companies have been making 92 clones ? But I would say it is a good guess the basic patents were taken out in 1892 or before ?

How long is a patent valid , before it expires ? My guess , the basic ( and maybe all ) the Model 1892 patents have long ago expired ?

If that is the case , then from that point onward , there could be no possibility of patent infringement .

I remember reading that S&W had the patent or a license for the patent , for the bored through ( allowing what we understand as fixed / self contained metallic cartridges ) revolver cylinder .

Colt could not adopt this feature until the patent expired . After that , Cold made a boat load of such revolvers .

God bless
Wyr

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'm no expert on the subject, but from my understanding, the two examples you give are different. In the latter, two American companies were competing and Colt waited until the patents expired before manufacturing those types of revolvers. In the former, South American countries in those days, didn't recognize patents from the US and manufactured copies without license. I believe the unlicensed copies were existent as far back as the 1930's.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I bought a Rossi Puma probaly 10 years ago.Everything about ist is exceptional ,except the internal finishing. Usually those guns had to be taken apart and honed /smoothed up as the edges were rough and the cycling was rough. At times the loading ramp had to be polished. However, for accruacy, mine will shoot just as well as a Marlin or Winchester.I also had 44 mag, about 2-3 years later. About the same quality.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
lol That's hard to follow.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Strider
Thanks, interesting.

More than likely the difference in prices would be the older South American guns vs. the newer Italian ones. The Italian guns will have Italian import markings instead of South American markings. According to what wiretwister is saying, you must have one of the South American Puma's since yours is a Rossi. If yours has a safety, it is pretty recent. I had one about twelve years ago and there were no safeties on them then yet. I have no idea about the exact year other than to say contact the factory or importer. My guess is they've had safeties about ten years now. But that's a guess.

Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I finally got it out to play with.

I was able to destroy plenty of water filled soda bottles at 50 yards with only an occasional miss. That's about as good as anything for me with open sights these days. No feed or function problems of any kind. It gobbled up many dozens of my handloads without a trace of leading.

I was more than happy. What a joy to shoot.

Samuel Adams

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
For some time, my understanding has been that Legacy, EMF, and Navy Arms all imported the same basic rife, manufactured by Rossi in Brazil. Prices vary depending on quality of finish and wood.

Puma is Legacy's brand name. Legacy still sells the Puma, but it is manufactured in Italy now.

If you search long enough on the leverguns.com forum you'll find a more detailed explanation.

M
Mak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Rossi has made their version of the Winchester 92 for decades, and are probably best known for this reproduction. Rossi furnishes 92s for a number of different importers. For a while, they were the only game in town.
Basic Rossis have earned a mixed reputation that in my opinion, is well deserved.
Different importers, however, have different standards. Some have demanded that Rossi clean up the action and trigger, others have wanted fancier finish options. If you get a Rossi via Navy Arms, for example, it will fetch a higher price than a standard Rossi for the reasons mentioned above.
Puma was exclusively Rossi for most of its existence, and has only recently switched to Chiappa Arms. C.A. 92's are about double the price of Rossis, and carry a quality of finish and action that are best described as = pride of ownership.
Rossi made history when they successfully chambered the 454 Casull into the 92.
I like Rossi 92s, but I don't rave about them because they need work to shine. This is the reason they can be had for a reasonable price, and will never qualify as collector editions.
I don't know why Legacy dumped Rossi, but I strongly suspect it was because of the rough nature of their actions and triggers, and their lack of truly satisfying finishes, not to mention the fact that the sights are rarely correctly regulated.
They are good basic guns, and they sell accordingly.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Never paid much attention to the Rossi M92s, until I bought one recently. Was tempted to buy a used one many years ago, but didn't.

A comparison with my Win. M92, reveals that the similarities are mostly cosmetic, as there are many dimensional differences, but I have no complaints with the Rossi, so far.

Mine is marked Puma M92, Imported by LSI, Reno, NV on the tang, so it is a Legacy version.

Underneath, it's marked A.Rossi SA, Made In Brazil. It also has the goofy little safety thingus on the rear of the bolt. External fit and finish are fine, but it does look a tad rough inside.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
"Puma History" ???
- - - - - - - - - - -

I have a PUMA M-92, 45 Colt, Lever Action Rifle from LEGACY Sport's International, manufactured by ROSSI in BRAZIL. (I find it to be a very good rifle - And it was fairly inexpensive.)

Later, I found my "same" (?), PUMA M-92 by LEGACY selling for near twice the price - but THIS rifle was made by ARMISPORT CHIAPPA, in BRESCIA, ITALY ... and is of considerable greater quality.

" Puma lever rifles, manufactured in Brazil (formerly) or, in Italy (2009 onward) and distributed in USA by Legacy Sports International. "

Strider Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I appreciate all the comments. It makes interesting reading.

I think all we have established is that the opinion on them varies as apparently does the quality of the firearm over time and place from which it was imported.

Mine is Brazil. It does have the safety and laser etching. So I expect that establishes it post 2000. When compared to my 94's I'd say the machine work it is as smooth internally as they are. The guy I got it from was not really a gun guy. He didn't have any work done to it.

I'd buy another one. Though, I'd give it a careful inspection. I've never owned a "real" 92. So I am wondering how it would feel in comparison. I certainly have no complaints as is, and couldn't identify internally where any polishing was needed. I suppose it would excellerate break in on a new one.

Evidently, I got a good one.

Samuel Adams

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

452 members (12savage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 48 invisible), 2,206 guests, and 1,121 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,859
Posts18,497,125
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.