Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
I am sure this question has been asked many times before, but I just scrolled through 50+ old post, and could not find any information regaurding the amount of torque to apply to scope ring bases and rings. I have been applying 25inch/lbs to base screws, and 20inch/lbs to rings, does that sound like a good practice?

Thanks
HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While we are talking torque, 20 to 25 inch/lbs sounds good for scope bases. what about the torque on the stock screws for bedding consistency?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
They vary between manufacturers.

HeavyBarrel

" A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government"
G. Washington
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Wood or synthetic-40 inch lbs, with pillars up to 65 inch lbs.

`Bring Enough Gun`
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I'd do 15 inch pounds for 6-48 base screws with blue loctite and 15-20 inch pounds for the ring caps.

IC B2

J
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
J

I apply 14 inch pounds to ring screws and base screws

I got banned on another web site for a debate that happened on this site. That's a first
G
GF1 Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I put 30 inch pounds on base screws, 15-20 on rings. As others have said, the guard screws very by manufacturer, with about 35 the concensus on wood stocks.

Interesting though that Al and Roger Biesen torque their guard screws "farmer tight", front and rear - I'm sure way over 50 - and there's nothing in the bedding area but hard wood.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
If you're looking for ring and base torque specs, I'd start by following the recommended specs of the parts manufacturer.

If you're looking for action screw torque specs, I'd start by following the recommended specs of the gun manufacturer, or the custom gun builder. These recommended specs often vary a good deal moreso than merely the materials used for the stock. When Brownell's was trying to keep track of these recommended factory specs for their customers, the specs would vary between the makers and would change from time to time based upon manufacturer tolerance of fit between the barreled action and the stock. There were years where some specs were much lower than others due to some rifles having far looser tolerances than others and a higher torque setting would bind the action. With that said, some of the custom builders using a close tolerance fit with strong materials, have recommend much lower settings than what would be capable for the screw size and materials used. Some of their measured settings are on the low end of the scale on rifles that could easily handle the higher torque settings. Often this is a matter of experience, and it is probably better to defer to this experience and recommended instructions when in need to re-assemble the parts at a later time.

A master smith with decades of experience who uses his own hands to feel a proper setting is a far cry from having the average joe attempt to match this without experience. Some of the smaller screws and parts need to fall within a lower and more narrow range of torque to stay tight without being damaged from over tightening. Some average joes are like Marines and can easily break ball bearings in a rubber room. Without using the proper tools, such guys can easily damage screws and parts using gorilla techniques.

Best:)

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
The reason that there is such a difference in torque used by people on the Rings/Bases is that the manufacturers do not supply the recommended torque information with the Rings/Bases, nor with rifles concerning action screws. The only exception is the Grim Reaaper intregral Ring/Base that has the information right on the package, there may be others that I am not aware of. I do not understand why others do not do this.

HeavyBarrel

G. Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Take a look at Brownell's website as they provide reliable info.

Imagine your grave on a windy winter night. You've been dead for 70 years.
It's been 50 since a visitor last paused at your tombstone.....
Now explain why you're in a pissy mood today.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Brownell's is a good source, many such as Leupold place the specs on the packaging, many such as talley place the specs on their website, most all have a contact method to request the specs; as example, I logged into the site for Sako and requested the action screw torque specs for the A7, and I received a personal reply from their tech with the exact answer within 3 days. Members at times spend many days searching for answers in forum threads on Talley's specs, as example, when the exact answer is a couple clicks away on the Talley site or a 3-minute phone call directly to Talley. This is why I always recommend to start with the manufacturer or builder when talking currently spec'd parts.

Not sure if we don't already have this, but I think a good idea would be to have a sticky in one of the forums with a running list of exact factory/manufacturer recommended torque specs for the different bases, rings, action screws etc. This way all members could quickly find the exact answer in one easy to find location.

Best:)

Last edited by GaryVA; 11/12/10.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
H
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
H
Leupold must have just started putting specs on their packaging, it has been a while since I bought any, but I do not recall ever seeing a torque value on any of the old packaging.

G. Washington
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Perhaps one of the reasons for some confusion is that these specs have changed over time.

I have in my hands a Leupold brochure from 1997 that recommends for Torx screws 27"lbs for base screws and 20"lbs for ring screws.

I also have in my hands a page I printed from the Leupold site in September 1999 that recommends 13-16 inch pounds for Torx ring screws.

My hands are obviously full becasue I also have a current package for Leupold Dual Dovetail bases (50042) that recommends:

6-48 base screws 22"lbs
8-40 base screws 28" lbs
8-40 ring screws 28" lbs
STD Windage screws 45"lbs
Ringmount keeper screws 45" lbs
PRW keeper screws 22"lbs

This should be enough to keep everyone confused!

405wcf

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

270 members (1_deuce, 338reddog, 10gaugemag, 2500HD, 300_savage, 16penny, 41 invisible), 2,438 guests, and 1,204 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,386
Posts18,469,694
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.