Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
If you check the price of replacement sights, hammer, trigger, sear, fitted bushing, new firing pin stop (to prevent clocking), etc.... and add that to the cost of less gun than you really want, it will cost you more than a complete better gun.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by War_Eagle
...I guess the real question here is, since the initial purchase price of a Brown or Wilson pistol is too steep, would you be satisfied with completely upgraded internals on a Phillipino slide and frame?

Another post prompted me to go back and re-read the OP. Good thing...

I guess the (my) real answer here is - "yes" and "no".

In a sense - we seem to never be "satisfied" as long as there is something out there that is better. That's the "no" part.

But will the upgraded RIA do the job satisfactorily and reliably? I would say (based on my experience) - yes. I would not, however, replace all the internal parts - except as they wear out. As I mentioned above - the trigger, and FPS are definitely worth replacing immediately, and for minimal cost. The barrel bushing too, if yours fits very excessively loose - but that's a little more involved and probably not needed. The grip safety needs just a slight "de-horning". Grips could be checkered (or replaced cheaply). Other than that, IMO, the rest is perfectly serviceable and needn't be replaced until worn out. If you think you might need to replace the sights with something bigger than the stock "GI" sights any time soon - might just as well start with a different gun though.

With few and inexpensive parts changes along with minimal and simple adjustments (you should learn to tune your extractor yourself anyway, IMO), my standard RIA is easy to shoot with good accuracy, easy on the hands, and reliable - and showing no signs of abnormal wear.

It is not and never will be a target pistol. For that, you are better off starting with something already set up on a higher-quality frame.

Lunatic fringe....we all know you're out there.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

296 members (257 mag, 1badf350, 160user, 260Remguy, 06hunter59, 257 roberts, 29 invisible), 2,043 guests, and 1,075 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,327
Posts18,526,541
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.