Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
This guy needs to be shot and tossed into a dumpster.

Charlie has hired lawyers for his defense in the ethics mess, and is paying them with Leadership PAC money. Totally illegal.

Link to Fox News
New York Rep. Charles Rangel, whose ethics trial starts Monday, appears to have improperly used political-action committee money to pay for his defense, The New York Post reported Sunday.

Rangel tapped his National Leadership PAC for $293,000 to pay his main legal-defense team this year. He took another $100,000 from the PAC in 2009 to pay lawyer Lanny Davis. Two legal experts told The Post such spending is against House rules. "It's a breach of congressional ethics," one campaign-finance lawyer said.

Washington, D.C., political lawyer Cleta Mitchell said there is "no authority for a member to use leadership PAC funds as a slush fund to pay for personal or official expenses." Leadership PACs are typically used by politicians to donate money to other candidates.

But Rangel seems to have run afoul of House ethics rules. Lawmakers are generally allowed to use campaign cash to pay their lawyers, but this is limited to money in their personal campaign committee and they must ask permission first, the campaign-finance lawyer said. "The only campaign funds that a member may use to pay for congressional expenses are funds of his or her principal campaign committee -- not the funds of a leadership PAC or a multicandidate committee," according to the House Ethics Manual.

Legal fees tied to a campaign, election or performance of official duties are considered congressional expenses. "Accepting money or payment for legal expenses from any other source, including a PAC, would be a gift and is barred by the House rules," the lawyer said. The Ethics Committee had no comment.

Rangel's office refused to comment on the PAC money. On top of the $393,000 in PAC funds, records show Rangel yanked $1.4 million from his campaign coffers in 2009 and 2010 to pay the firm Zuckerman Spaeder, his main legal-defense team, and $100,000 in 2009 to pay Davis' firm.

He also spent $147,577 for Washington, D.C., lawyer John Kern and $174,303 for Watkins, Meegan, Drury & Co., a firm that offers forensic accounting and legal services.

An eight-member ethics subcommittee of four Democrats and four Republicans will convene at 9 a.m. to hear the 13 charges. They include failure to disclose and pay taxes on his vacation home in the Dominican Republic; his use of a rent-regulated Harlem apartment as a campaign office; and using congressional stationery to raise money for the Rangel Center at City College.

Sam......

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I just heard on KTALK that he walked out of the hearing; claiming he 'didn't have the money to pay for attorneys'..

What a crock of bull-Pelosi...

They oughta call the chamber guards to haul his sorry azz right back into the hearing room and chain him to the damn desk.. mad

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
and at the end of the day he remain in Congress and CBC. Bet he'll vote for Nancy to remain minority leader too.

Last edited by bbassi; 11/15/10.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You know what they say. No live girl or dead boy involved...

BAN THE RAINBOW FLAG!
PERVERTS OFFEND ME!

"When is penguin season, daddy? I wanna go kill a penguin!"
---- 4 yr old Archerhuntress

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Rangel will not survive this. His walking out of the hearing will be another devastating blow, especially considering he used near a half a million dollars of illegal funds to pay previous attorneys.

He's toast!

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
more's the pity that your guess is a pipe dream. Until the GOP takes over the committee, he has a free ride.
Pelosi will make SURE that charges are dropped, or he just gets a wrist pat, and she will CLOSE the issue.

Sam......

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
We'll see,Sam.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by isaac
Rangel will not survive this. His walking out of the hearing will be another devastating blow, especially considering he used near a half a million dollars of illegal funds to pay previous attorneys.

He's toast!

Let's hope so, Bob.

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Charlie is a democrat for Chris' sakes. He will walk just like all democrats do when democrats run the show. It does make for nice television. Too bad no one other than FOX is paying any attention. kwg

Last edited by kwg020; 11/15/10.

For liberals and anarchists, power and control is opium, selling envy is the fastest and easiest way to get it. TRR. American conservative. Never trust a white liberal. Malcom X Current NRA member.
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
I actually hope he survives. It will just be more fuel for 2012.

They say everything happens for a reason.
For me that reason is usually because I've made some bad decisions that I need to pay for.
IC B3

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
This Congress and administration are creating what I will in the future call the Congressional/Administration Defense Of "if they don't get prosecuted,you're estopped/prevented from citizen prosecution" See what a jury of 12 thinks of it. I already know what most of you sane,thinking folks think of it.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

He's toast!

'Tis an act of desperation. If you don't have the facts or the law all you're left with is throwing as much dust in the air as possible.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Campfire Kahuna
OP Online Happy
Campfire Kahuna
This Congress and administration are creating what I will in the future call the Congressional/Administration Defense Of "if they don't get prosecuted,you're estopped/prevented from citizen prosecution" See what a jury of 12 thinks of it. I already know what most of you sane,thinking folks think of it.

I see your point Bob. Dang, so do you think that sort of estopple would pass Constitutional scrutiny?

Sam......

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Sure, it's just a creative version of nullification. Well, maybe not so creative but if Geithner or Rangel aren't fully prosecuted, why should my client be prosecuted? Sam, I think some jurors would buy it enough to at least get you a hung jury and a consequent mistrial.

Last edited by isaac; 11/15/10.

William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I HOPE HE GOES DOWN LIKE A TURD IN A CHURN,HE'S a self righteous SOB for SURE.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R

He's toast!
'Nother football pick? laugh

You have NO idea how I hope you're right on this.. But more likely he'll get a little slappy-poo on the wrist and he'll be back in business as usual..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As this "trial" will be controlled by Democratic progressive fascists I doubt that he will be convicted. They gave Clinton a pass on perjury and obstruction of justice. Rangel will get a free pass.

Can the Republicans retry him when they take over control of Congress? They should because this trial is sure to be a scam.

[Linked Image from ]
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Rangel's only chance is to get this resolved before the new congress is sworn. Even that is low probability.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
They are all scum bags!

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Problem with something drastic like expulsion is that Chuck has been around long enough to know where ALL the bodies are buried. Can't see how he can escape conviction and some sanction though. I kinda like Chuck, personable enough on TV, but wouldn't trust him with a cold dog turd as a certain Army drill sergeant was wont to say.

The key elements in human thinking are not numbers but labels of fuzzy sets. -- L. Zadeh

Which explains a lot.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

454 members (10gaugemag, 007FJ, 160user, 12344mag, 10gaugeman, 163bc, 42 invisible), 2,128 guests, and 1,176 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,245
Posts18,486,168
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.