-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
B
OP Offline
B
Ok guys I am trying to put this rifle together. I have a new Remington 700 XCR chambered in .300 RUM
I got this for Christmas last year, but haven't had the funds to finish putting it together.
Anyway, I think I'm going to buy the Leupold VX-II in a 3x9x40
I'm kinda on a budget of about 300 or so for the glass. I have looked at the Elite 3200 and 4200, and the Nikon scopes too. I think I like the VX-II the best,
I have a old Vari-x IIc on an old BDL 25-06 and it's still shooting great. I got this rifle so one day I can go out west hopefully for something bigger than Georgia whitetail and bears and pigs.
I am totally lost however on what type of rings and bases to get.
I understand that this gun has a ton of recoil (I still haven't shot it)
And I want to preserve my scope and not trash it. I have seen one piece and two piece bases, and a herd of types of rings. Some with inserts and without. Tacticool picatinny rails and such, different types of MOA on those....

Jeez, I have no clue. Nobody around these parts has hardly even heard of a ultramag, so I figured you guys could help me out.

Thanks in advance
Sean

GB1

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
I understand that this gun has a ton of recoil

The recoil is substantial, but not what I'd call in the "ton" category.

I set up a rifle like that a few years ago for a friend using Talley lightweights and a Zeiss Conquest 3.5-10x50. He's hunted with it ever since and I don't believe he's had to adjust a thing. He isn't shooting a couple of thousand range rounds a year though.

B
OP Offline
B
Is the Talley lightweights rings only? Do I need to get a base?
All the stuff I saw on Midway site was confusing.
I think I have a two piece dual dovetail mounts somewhere around here.
Using that VX-II scope do I use medium talleys?

Also, I will probably only shoot this gun a couple times a year. I bought 3 boxes of factory ammo and it was pricey
Just gonna start saving up for a elk or mule deer hunt. Maybe something bigger

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Talley lightweights are ring/base combo. Med will work with your VX11.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
Talley lightweights have the bottom half of the ring integral with the base section that gets screwed to the action. Go to the Outfitter's Gear Shop on this very website. (See the bar near the top of this page.)

With a 3-9x40 VX-II you should be able to use lows. If you go with dual dovetails you should be able to use low rings there as well.

Last edited by mathman; 11/09/10. Reason: removed errant word
IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
I have two 300 ultra's one in a sako with optilock rings and a senderoII with Leupold dual dovetail. I have not had a problem either one and both have Leupold's 4.5x14x40 mounted on them. I don't think you could go wrong with talley's or dual dovetails.

Dink

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by BigCreekHunter
Jeez, I have no clue. Nobody around these parts has hardly even heard of a ultramag, so I figured you guys could help me out.

Thanks in advance
Sean

Call Near Mfg. at 866-608-2441 and talk to Richard Near. Tell him Ralph told you to call. His stuff is not cheap, in fact, I think he is at the top of the heap with regard to quality. If his mounts and rings can't protect your scope, none can. I have a Hensoldt 6-24x72 in a Near Alpha Mount (unimount) bolted to a Near 30 MOA rail. It's on a 30-378 AI. I've had several hundred rounds through it now and the optic looks, and functions, perfect.

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
With the way I'm reading the OP's posts, I bet the Near stuff is a bit over the top.

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
He said he wants something to preserve his scope and not trash it. Near can do that better than anyone else.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Badger picatinney base & Badger rings!!!

(Near Mfg make awesome stuff too)

Last edited by 300MAG; 11/09/10.
IC B3

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
DNZ, one piece for rings and base, super strong and light. Get the one with the 20moa cant of you every wanna really stretch the range (1000yards +)

http://www.dnzproducts.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=66_2

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
If you use the DNZ mount, be sure and bed it to the receiver to aleve any stress that might be induced by receiver run-out.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Any of the Talley rings will work. I have the QR rings on one of my 300Ultra's and have had exactly zero problems with them...............DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
If you use the DNZ mount, be sure and bed it to the receiver to aleve any stress that might be induced by receiver run-out.

I have gone the route of bedding every base on every receiver. Someone was giving me grief about it one day but why are we so compulsive to have stock to action bedding flawless and then feel free to crank away and bend a tube to fit a receiver. In my mind this is another plus for a one piece base vs trying to get a perfect stress free mount with any two piece on the market.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Trust in what Magnumdood is telling you - he knows his optics!!!

"Buy once, cry once" when it comes to optics. Buy THE very best you can afford in optics,bases & rings!!

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by BigCreekHunter

Thanks in advance
Sean

Call Near Mfg. at 866-608-2441 and talk to Richard Near. Tell him Ralph told you to call. His stuff is not cheap, in fact, I think he is at the top of the heap with regard to quality. If his mounts and rings can't protect your scope, none can. I have a Hensoldt 6-24x72 in a Near Alpha Mount (unimount) bolted to a Near 30 MOA rail. It's on a 30-378 AI. I've had several hundred rounds through it now and the optic looks, and functions, perfect.

FWIW there's a nice review of the Hensoldt 4-16x56 scope in one of the latest gun rags. (Nov/Dec Rifleshooter).............................DJ

Remember this is all supposed to be for fun.......................
L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I have just about the exact same rifle in .300 RUM. MY rifle is set up with Talley Light Weight low Aluminium Rings and a Leupie 4.5X14 LR scope. Several hundred rounds through it and pretty rough handling on trips and the the scope has not moved. Toook a nice 6X6 elk last year and a mulie.

The .300 is a accurate round and comes into its own with good handloads.

Lefty C.

Last edited by leftycarbon; 11/10/10.
Dub Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I am very pleased with the Talley LW system I used to mount this scope on my 7mmRemMag.

It's a large/heavy 56mm so I wanted something strong. I see now why the Talley system is so highly thought of.

I've already recieved a second set for another rifle that I'm working on, too.

[Linked Image]

Bob Lee Swagger for President
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Set a DNZ on an old Savage flat-back that seemed to fit very well.

Not saying it woulden't need to be bedded or checked, this one fit real well.

I was impressed with DNZ!

It hunts well also, smooth lines that seem to shed chafe rain and snow rather well and wipe clean.

I would put another DNZ on a rifle of mine.

Clinging to my God, and my guns!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

505 members (1badf350, 1beaver_shooter, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 22250rem, 160user, 49 invisible), 2,340 guests, and 1,253 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,153
Posts18,502,887
Members73,993
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.