Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Lifes to short to hunt a dog without a tail... grin There is only one bird dog, a english pointer. My buddies hunt GSP and my biggest complaint is they don't cover enough ground for me. I know there are different lines that range more than others but for me there nothing like watching a english pointer covering a field.

Dink

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
personal preference.......ive got busted knees, dont want a dog that ranges a 1/4 mile.....some GSPs do, mine doesnt and i prefer it that way....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Z
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Z
Tonk, my stuff is Rugerheim/Hustler/Palmglades predominantly, I breed for DC's. Jess & Jet are out of my Rugerheim/Palmglades bred bitch bred to DC Lowrys Eagle Ridge V Rugerheim. My new pup Nitro is out of the same bitch bred to a Hustler/Odyssey bred male.
My girl is a show CH & FT pointed & I promise you she is neither noisy nor hyper & one helluva bird dog. Jess is as quiet as they come & calm but a dynamo in the field & flat ass hauls. 2 of his litter sisters are also doing well in FT's, one is on Terry Chandlers string.
I agree straight show bred stuff leaves something to be desired for the most part, but there are a lot of nice dual bred GSPS out there. We are in deep snows here right now, but I will try to get a video of Jess this spring running, hope to finish his FC next year & start running Jet his sister who I had originally sold & took back (long story, not a good home) who is proving to be a lil dynamo herself.
I have no property, horse, nor quad & cannot keep birds where I live, mostly train off foot once or twice a week if lucky as I have to drive a ways after work, so I am quite proud of all the winning my guys have done field and show & I handle myself in all venues.(Jesse won 5 shows and 5 FT's in a row this spring)
Havent run them once the last 2 weeks, been working from 8AM to 1-1:30 AM almost every day - I own/run a grooming shop & help process deer eves, our rifle season now & very busy, working 100 hrs a week.(we cut deer Saturdays & Sundays & I work at my shop Sundays also -never work there Saturdays so I can hunt, LOL!!)

Be the type of woman that when you wake up each morning and put your feet on the floor the Devil says -
"Oh Crap, She's Up!"
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I sent you a PM of the dogs in my kennel and the breeding they do bare! They have back to back to back "national field trial champions" and hall of famers backing them up on their AKC Pedigree. It just doesn't get any better than that for a fact.

Each year as you very well know I hope, 45 of the top trainers around the nation compete for the #1 field trial dog honors. This is done at Eureka Springs Arkansas. Now ever dog competing for that title is a FC or Field Champion being shown by a Professional Trainer.

My stud Major was pick of he litter by Mr. Randy Coffelt in Missouri, he and his wife won $1,500 dollars because that litter produced the national 2yr old Futurity Winner that year in 2006 "FC Wild Feathers Face The Music". They also campained the titled dog known as "NFC Magnums Touch Of Gold".

Last edited by Tonk; 12/10/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
GSPs, on the whole, are great hunting dogs. Most I've known tend to work fairly close and have great noses.

But a GSP as a family dog? You've heard the expression, "Bull in a China shop?"

If you're fixin' to put a hole in something,
make it a hole to remember.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kentuck, now what do you call fairly close in yardage?
I get to see a fair share of the breed hunting Upland game and most of those dogs are running 65 to 100 yards out in front of the hunter.

I have a couple of dogs that will range from say 65 to 175 yards if I let them. Then there is Tara who will roam out to 100 plus from the start and wind up 250 yards out coverning ground. If in a very large field (500 yds) I will send out 3 dogs to find those birds. Duke will stay close in at 45 yards to 70 yards, Clint will jump out to 80 yards right off and slide further to 125 yards. Big Jake will take off and be at 150 yds in a blink of an eye and whirl on out to 250 yards! So we get a good idea if there are birds there are not and don't waste time.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What do I call fairly close? It all depends on what you're hunting and where you're hunting. I'll readily agree there are times and places where a big-running dog is a plus, but I hunt a lot of California quail and mountain quail in thick cover where a big-running dog can be detrimental -- and the last thing you want is an out-of-control dog bumping coveys far out of range. Once scattered, they have a disconcerting habit of disappearing like Houdini. I like dogs working close for this type of hunting, and so do most of the guys who regularly hunt these birds and/or train dogs to do so. Other birds, other places... different story.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Kentucky_Windage

But a GSP as a family dog? You've heard the expression, "Bull in a China shop?"

that describes Jake pretty well....dont care, he is happiest with the family so its where he spends alot of his time....aint the best house dog but would rather i put anything he can hurt high up and have him hanging out with us....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
*laughin*

Man, that's brave of you. I have seen the damage they can do. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
he is kenneled when we arent home.....he isnt left to his own devises in the house.....but if we are home though he gets to be out with the family.....no worse than having a 3 year old tearing around the house grin

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my "indoor" GSP
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
R
I have had, or had in the family 5 "indoor" GSP's. None were nearly as destructive as my current 2 year old English Pointer.

Montani Semper Liberi
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
My GSP is a house dog, when we're in the house. When visitors show up she runs around like a crazy dog, but when its just us all she wants to do is rest her head on our knee or sleep on her bed.

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
Kentucky I have 3 and all live in the house. We kennel them when we are gone, not because they would destroy anything but because they will make a beeline for our bed which they are not allowed to be on when we are home.
I love this breed and hope I never have to be without a few.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kentucky Windage.....I don't really know what all GSP dogs you have had in your home but I can assure that our dogs are better than most peoples children and are trained to those DO's & DONT'S.

Now as matter of fact I just sold a young 16 week old pup today and those people remarked right off the bat how calm and pleasant she seemed in the house. The pup lives in the kennel behind the house with it's sipplings. The only dog in our string that would not be ok for the house is a bitch out of "show bloodlines", yes some of those are a bit crazy and not suited perhaps for some homes. However please lets not through the entire breed into a catagory with your blanket statement sir!!!

s

Last edited by Tonk; 12/16/10.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Great thread. Brings back lots of fond memories of all our GSPs. I have been without for about 6yrs now and I miss him.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Heres my IMO. Not necessarily about GSP's, but pointing dogs in general when it comes to pheasants. GSP's, Brits, EP's, and ES's, can all be great pheasant dogs. I prefer them for pheasants 90% of the time. However, if you hunt a lot of late season wild roosters you simply can't touch a lab or a springer (imo one of the best pheasant dogs you can get). Late season roosters give pointing dogs fits, even the best pointing dogs with lots of wild rooster exeperience. If your going to hunt early in the year, hunt released birds, or birds that don't get much pressure, then get a pointing dog. If you going to hunt late season roosters that have been hunted pretty hard, then get a close working flushing dog. Late season roosters are what good, close working flushing dogs are perfect for.............. BTW.. Im a hardcore pointing dog fan, and don't really like flushing dogs, but they are wonderful in the right conditions.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
These were all very good and informative replies.

Someone may have posted it prior in this thread, but "Timberline" also known as Bill Krenz who started this thread passed away unexpectedly in early December of a heart attack. He is missed by many. Here is the link to his obituary http://obits.dignitymemorial.com/di...&pid=147132109&mid=4476245&=

Maybe he's met my GSP's that have passed on and will take a liking to them!

Last edited by T Bone; 01/04/11.
C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
My brother raised shorthairs for years and they were absolutely awsome quail/pheasant dogs,by the way who is the cat on the first post with the glasses on as it looks like a member of ZZ Top......

broken bones broken heart stripped down an torn apart a lil rust but Im still runnin countin miles countin tears twisted roads and shiftin gears year after year its all or nothin Im not home and Im not lost just holdin on 2 what I got...God and Guns
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my wife having some fun with our indoor GSP......his "Jake Be Good Collar" is on cause ive got 3 feet of snow in the back yard and was taking him out in front of the house to run up and down the plowed street and hadnt taken it off yet.....

[Linked Image]

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

590 members (1beaver_shooter, 160user, 10Glocks, 12344mag, 1936M71, 10gaugemag, 65 invisible), 2,529 guests, and 1,212 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,808
Posts18,477,541
Members73,944
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.