Print Thread
Hop To
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Thinking bout using this load on deer this year and curious as to others experiences with it on deer sized game, expansion penetration etc.

Faster horses,Younger women,Older Whiskey,More money

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
bcraig: I have not used the prvi ammunition but have used the S&.B 196 gr. load. So far, only on paper. But it made a real diff. when trying to get on paper compared to the pathetic 170 gr. american loads. Much hotter. Others have opined it would be a good elk cartridge. If you purchase, be sure it is the cut point ammo, as these are supposed to expand promptly. All the best: Boyd45

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Sellier & Bellot Ammunition 8x57mm JS Mauser (8mm Mauser) 196 Grain Soft Point Cutted Edge Box of 20

Muzzle Velocity: 2591 fps!

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewProduct/?productNumber=310300

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
C
C
I have used the Wolf Gold 196gr on wild hog in FL - did real nice. Complete penetration through both shoulders and spine. Wolf Gold and Prvi come out of the same PPU factory in Serbia - 2460 fps muz vel ....

Last edited by ColonelP; 11/12/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Craig, I have not shot any deer with my 8mm using the PRVI loads but these and the Wolf loads are the most accurate in my rifle. It is a 700 Classic. The weak American factory loads shoot all over the place. I have shot some pretty heavy game with my 9.3 x 62 using the PRVI facory loads and they perfomed just fine. They are more accurate (and cheap) than any of my handloads and they kill stuff quick. I would not hesitate to use the PRVI loads you mentioned on deer. Good choice.

"That God could and would, if He were sought."
IC B2

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
While I can't respond specifically to 8mm, I DID use PRVI factory loads in my .375 H&H to bag a nice blesbuck in RSA last year. He went down liked he'd been poleaxed. Like others on this post, I've also used S&B factory loads, which are not dissimilar to PRVI. Specifically, I shot a mule deer buck in WY earlier this month, using my Savage 110 in 7mm Mauser, using S&B 173 grain soft-points. He, too, went down.

At least with respect to 7mm Mauser, PRVI/S&B are loaded hotter than their anemic American counterparts. I'm perfectly happy with the quality and performance of ammo from both of these companies.

B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
I took this small buck with my old mauser and the prvi 196 grain soft point factory load.
the buck was quartering toward me at 125 yards when i shot him. The bullet right behind the shoulder and exited right in front of the hind quarter.
The buck ran 150 yards and collasped.
The entrance hole was about an inch and a half in size and the exit was about 2 1/2 inches in size.
The onside lung was damaged severly but the bullet missed the other lung because of the shot angle.
The buck was almost broadside but turned at the second I broke the shot .Very little in the way of a blood trail but the buck was in sight the entire time.
I do not know the velocity of the round as on the MIDWAY site under customer reviews several reported the volocity as being around 2200 FPS but in other plases I have read that the PRVI is the same as either the WOLF and the Sellier and Bellot.
I do know that with a 1.75 inch high zero at 100 yards the bullet is down about 2 to 2.5 inches at 200 yards.
The load will put 3 shots within a quarter or less at 100 from my rifle.
I am pleased to have taken this buck with the PRVI load and the old rifle. [Linked Image] [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

Last edited by bcraig; 11/16/10.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Prvi is loaded on the slow side @ 2181fps
Wolf is loaded @ 2461fps
Norma is loaded @ 2526fps
S&B is loaded fast @ 2591fps

Norma is good ammo, but the S&B consistently gets high marks for accuracy and hunting performance. At the price, it is a bargain.

�I've never met a genius. A genius to me is someone who does well at something he hates. Anybody can do well at something he loves -- it's just a question of finding the subject.�

- Clint Eastwood
B
bcraig Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
Have you cronographed the loads? Reason I ask is that the if in fact the velocities of the other rounds are in fact 300 FPS or more faster than the Prvi load I dont want to shoot them ! Almost 200 grain bullets at whatever speed the PRVI are is about all I want. I suppose it is because of a little more drop in the stock than more modern designs combined with the fact that it has no recoil pad.In fact it seems to hit me bout as hard as My 700 30-06 with factory plastic stock using Federal 150 factory red box(used to be blue box)loads.
Now if i could just find someone who factory loads a 150 at around 2600 I could approximate 300 Savage ballistics and that would be fine .I do reload for the catridge but like the convenience of factory loads as the only place I have to shoot is about an hour away and with my work I really dont have the time.
In all actuality I really find no fault with the performance of this load. My shot placement which only took out one lung probably contributed to the fact the deer ran so far after the hit although I have seen deer hit with their heart blown into pieces that ran just as far.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Those are the velocities published by PRVI Partizan themselves:

665m/s from a 610mm barrel, that equals 2181fps from a 24" barrel.

It killed your deer. If you're happy, keep using the 196 PRVI. If not, PRVI makes a 139 SP load that runs 2600fps, but I don't know who sells it in the States. You could always use either the FED, WIN, or REM 170 2360fps ammo, its loaded low pressure about the same as the PRVI but with a smaller bullet. That should reduce the recoil. Look how effective the 30-30 is on deer, with the 170s you'd still be a bit faster and it should work as well if not better.

Best:)

Last edited by GaryVA; 11/16/10.

- Clint Eastwood
IC B3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

500 members (16gage, 10gaugeman, 10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 49 invisible), 2,305 guests, and 1,142 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,858
Posts18,497,114
Members73,979
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.