Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
While that may be true (and I'm sure you're ok there) I'm going by just what you posted, " "very difficult to kill a motorcyclist wearing a helmet." I could make the same argument if you include helmets mandatory in cars.. How many fatalities could be avoided in auto accidents if helmets were mandated? You don't see racers w/o helmets... Makes sense, eh? smile

I've got articles from several issues of the local rag where helmeted riders are killed in auto/deer collisions.. When it's your time - it's your time - helmet or no... Moulty (friend of mine) hit a Holstein at night goin' about 40 mph.. Helmet on. Didn't matter.. This was about 20 years ago..

Like I said - whichever way ya lean, it's just ONE MORE thing for the damn feds to get their mitts on and I DON'T WANT IT!!!!

No argument there, my friend.
I don't want a law either.
We can agree to 'semi-disagree' in this case.
grin

"For joy of knowing what may not be known we take the golden road to Samarkand."
James Elroy Flecker

GB1

W
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
W
Originally Posted by okbowman
Originally Posted by 340boy

I guess I think it should be up to the rider, not big brother.
I am f!@#$$% sick of government intrusion into my life.

Yes Siree!!!!
And this is the point of this whole thread..

A Dr Hurt did a study years ago at, I believe, the UCLA school of medicine and concluded that it was (I paraphrase) "very difficult to kill a motorcyclist wearing a helmet."
What an absolute, total, idiot... That has to be from a guy who's never even SEEN a bike, not to mention ride one.. But then, it is UCLA...

Originally Posted by Winston338
Why should I pay for the helo ride and a few hundred grand for a rider who has no insurance because of a head injury?
More idiocy.. Geez...

Why should I pay for the helo ride and a few hundred grand for a rider who has no insurance because of a head injury?
First, because freedom is not free. Second, you don't pay a few hundred grand.

I really don't have any bones in this argument since I don't even ride a motorcycle. I also think it's a very good idea to wear a helmet, but far be it from me to demand someone else to. When the government starts passing laws to protect us from us I get very concerned. And as far as "no insurance" why don't we require everyone to have it. That'd solve everything. Now that's a great idea (yeah right).

How about we outlaw all fatty foods since heart disease is a leading cause of death in this country. Heck, heart attacks kill WAY more people that motorcycles do, and you're paying more for that bill than you are for non-helmet wearers. Or perhaps we start required daily PT programs.

While we're at it why don't we ban all motor vehicles since they are such major killers. Or at least impose such a large tax than the majority of Americans can't afford to drive one. We could all ride in electric trains because they're safer, and we all know they're better for the environment too.

And just for good measure why don't we ban all guns. After all, when that gang banger gets shot by a rival gang banger do you thinks he pays for his own hospital bill? Nope. You do.

Lots of people are fools because they believe that as long as a law doesn't impose upon their "rights" then they don't care if it imposes upon somebody else's rights. i.e. I don't have an assault rifle so I don't care if they get banned. Now that's great thinking.

Simply put it's a real slippery slope than I stay they heck away from.
EXACTLY..

Again - to visit the gist of the original post - LET THE INDIVIDUAL STATES decide.. Get the FEDS OUTTA OUR HAIR!!!

Sorry but you are in the weeds on the cost issues---it is evident that you are not in possession of many facts and just want to vent so go ahead. This is something that needs to happen and will eventually so if you want to pitch a fit and roll around on the ground go ahead. People I know are 6 feet under because they did not wear a helmet---I would be if I had not been so my perspective may be different than yours.

Been there done that---have you?

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I well remember The Hurt Report and its impact on motorcyclists.

My thoughts are that if you choose to wear a helmet, do so - if you prefer not to, don't. I do not see the need for restrictive helmet laws.

I currently live in a state without a mandatory helmet law and am quite happy with that.

I would be DELIGHTED to see laws prohibiting the use of cell phones and texting while driving.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
I always wear a helmet on the motorcycle,especially on the street.
I don't like the idea of more laws, but I am of the opinion that wearing a helmet saves lives.

Exactly! I have two bikes, rack up quite a few miles yearly and I wear a helmet 99.5% of the time. But, it should be MY choice not yours or some dumb-o-crat. Back in the '80s the feds suggested that all bikes should have outriggers so they can't fall over. Nothing like a five foot wide bike that has a predetermined lean angle!

For all of you so quick to make rules for us on a M/C, how about this; You must wear earmuffs and safetly glasses when hunting just in case. No handloaded ammo when hunting, it's just too risky. No tree stands without a parachute, etc., etc.

If you don't want your freedoms of choice messed with don't mess with mine!

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
None of you that advocate government intrusion into your private lives, that think it is OK for big brother to demand you wear helmet,( for your own good of course) should be allowed to own a gun either. After all guns are dangerous you might shoot your eye out..
Read my sig line.. soccer dads

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
redneck I agree, let the states decide get the federal goobermint out of it.

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
We don't have to wear them, but I do.

If you have medical insurance, then you shouldn't be required to wear a helmet or seat belt.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
"very difficult to kill a motorcyclist wearing a helmet."

Many years ago-my kid brother managed to kill himself on his Gold Wing while wearing his helmet.

Having said that-stats prove helmets save lives-it is a no brainer-what is your head worth?

You want to really save a lot more lives-make everyone riding in cars wear them-ask any race car driver.

This is where the do-gooders usually shut up and go away.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by toad
how many people are for helmet laws because helmets are safer, but seem to think it's ok to yap on their cell phones while navigating traffic?

AMEN!
And then drive up someones bumper in rush hour traffic only to slow down to 50 in the high speed lane.
Pass them and watch them texting / dialing...

I wish I could shoot target practice ( see if I can chute the device out of their hand! )

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I've been riding for 33 years, well over 150,000 miles. Maybe 10 of those miles with out a helmet. I feel it is foolish to ride with out one at any time. That said, I do not support helmet laws of any kind. Oh and I would be very dead from a wreck I had in 1979 if I hadn't been wearing one.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
What happen to the days when people were responsible for themselves? It should be a riders choice to wear a helmet. To stupid to not have insurance, you pay your own medical bill. Quit passing off an individuals bill to everyone else.

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Gotta file this one in the Darwin File and let the choice cast consequences where it may.

23% of highway fatalities have alcohol related causal factors involved. 77% belong to the group that drinks coffee, soda, water while driving. I'm guessing that most of the people that cause cycle accidents (car drivers) a) aren't wearing a helmet and b) are drinking something.

Remember, don't drink and drive. If you have to drink and drive, make sure you kill someone! laugh

Life is dangerous, there are no guarantees, make the best of the cards you're dealt.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
And I'd like to repeal mandatory seat belt laws, air bags, CAFE standards and the laws of gravity (smiley face).

Last edited by logger; 11/17/10.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Anyone who engages in hunting should be required to wear level III full body armor when in the field.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
Originally Posted by Swampman700
We don't have to wear them, but I do.

If you have medical insurance, then you shouldn't be required to wear a helmet or seat belt.

If you have medical insurance you should be allowed to eat fried chicken too.

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O

Yes Siree!!!!
And this is the point of this whole thread..

A Dr Hurt did a study years ago at, I believe, the UCLA school of medicine and concluded that it was (I paraphrase) "very difficult to kill a motorcyclist wearing a helmet."
What an absolute, total, idiot... That has to be from a guy who's never even SEEN a bike, not to mention ride one.. But then, it is UCLA...

More idiocy.. Geez...

First, because freedom is not free. Second, you don't pay a few hundred grand.

I really don't have any bones in this argument since I don't even ride a motorcycle. I also think it's a very good idea to wear a helmet, but far be it from me to demand someone else to. When the government starts passing laws to protect us from us I get very concerned. And as far as "no insurance" why don't we require everyone to have it. That'd solve everything. Now that's a great idea (yeah right).

How about we outlaw all fatty foods since heart disease is a leading cause of death in this country. Heck, heart attacks kill WAY more people that motorcycles do, and you're paying more for that bill than you are for non-helmet wearers. Or perhaps we start required daily PT programs.

While we're at it why don't we ban all motor vehicles since they are such major killers. Or at least impose such a large tax than the majority of Americans can't afford to drive one. We could all ride in electric trains because they're safer, and we all know they're better for the environment too.

And just for good measure why don't we ban all guns. After all, when that gang banger gets shot by a rival gang banger do you thinks he pays for his own hospital bill? Nope. You do.

Lots of people are fools because they believe that as long as a law doesn't impose upon their "rights" then they don't care if it imposes upon somebody else's rights. i.e. I don't have an assault rifle so I don't care if they get banned. Now that's great thinking.

Simply put it's a real slippery slope than I stay they heck away from.
EXACTLY..

Again - to visit the gist of the original post - LET THE INDIVIDUAL STATES decide.. Get the FEDS OUTTA OUR HAIR!!!

Sorry but you are in the weeds on the cost issues---it is evident that you are not in possession of many facts and just want to vent so go ahead. This is something that needs to happen and will eventually so if you want to pitch a fit and roll around on the ground go ahead. People I know are 6 feet under because they did not wear a helmet---I would be if I had not been so my perspective may be different than yours.

Been there done that---have you?

Like I said, I don't ride a motorcycle. I also said I think helmets are a good idea. But who the hell are you to tell me I have to? Ehh comrade???

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I've been riding for over 45 years.I wear a helmet at most times.I feel that all government employees should have to ride bikes,without a helmet,and that all cattlemen should turn their cows out on the streets.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Say "hello" to your new federally mandated hunting attire.

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
N
I am against a law, so is my wife.

But my wife, A surgeon just looked over my shoulder. Her comment on reading the thread.

"In my transplant rotation in august I did 7 kidneys, know what all 4 donors had in common?"

The collection of taxes which are not absolutely required, which do not beyond reasonable doubt contribute to public welfare, is only a species of legalized larceny. Under this Republic the rewards of industry belong to those who earn them. Coolidge
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Gotta file this one in the Darwin File and let the choice cast consequences where it may.

23% of highway fatalities have alcohol related causal factors involved. 77% belong to the group that drinks coffee, soda, water while driving. I'm guessing that most of the people that cause cycle accidents (car drivers) a) aren't wearing a helmet and b) are drinking something.

This is playing number games. As a % of total drivers, alcohol drinkers are in the extreme minority. If you take the figures of the % of alcohol drinkers instead of the % of total drivers, the fatality rate would would be much much higher.

“In a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Page 2 of 5 1 2 3 4 5

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

523 members (007FJ, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 222Sako, 219 Wasp, 50 invisible), 2,413 guests, and 1,322 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,922
Posts18,518,836
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.