Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Just heard that a California DA (elect) is planning to station deputies at the airport ready to arrest TSA agents should they touch someone's crotch, breasts, or buttocks. If the touch is outside the pants, they will be charged with a misdemeanor. If inside the pants, they will be charged with a felony.

Oh goody, some more gov't jobs. Deputies to watch TSA agents.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
the constitution really doesn't have much application to air travel.....you decide to fly commercial, you've already waived your fourth amendment right not to be searched without a warrant.

it's more an issue of reasonableness or not, and how intrusive the goons are allowed to be. of course, if you don't refuse the scanner, you don't get felt up. and if you don't fly commercial, you never have to even see a TSA guy.

TSA's regs are written by Big Sis and a bunch of bureaucrats, but they can be ordered by Congress to rewrite them, which is what I assume RP's bill attempts to do.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Steve, when did we buy into the notion that driving, flying, etc. is a privilege and not a right?
The airline and I are conducting a business transaction. The airline has a vested interest in their planes not falling out of the sky. The airline therefore has the right to put whatever stipulations I might accept into that agreement. Should those demands get too stringent, I can choose another carrier, or another mode of transportation.
But now the government has gotten themselves between me and the carrier, in our transaction. Now I have no say as to the terms of the transaction, so the government can impose whatever restrictions it likes, and I have no option but another form of transportation.
The way i see it, I should have a right to engage in any of these activities, as i see fit, without loss of basic rights, until there is a compelling and legal reason to forbid me from doing so.
Where did I go wrong?

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The FAA and the TSA can condition those commercial carriers' rights to serve US airports upon their compliance with whatever security scheme is adopted by those agencies, promulgating regulations pursuant to congressional statutory authority. They don't comply, they don't fly from a US airport.

That's the situation we have now. There is no constiutional right to fly with contraband, and the regs can define what that is. Heck, it includes a bottle of water, or a shampoo bottle that holds more than 8 ounces(suspicious I suppose because ragheads don't usually use real shampoo so it's probably a bomb or something, i guess). so you got the laundry list from box cutters to Glocks to Sentex.

the agencies can then mandate reasonable procedures to find and interdict that contraband. the new full body scanners are one method, although not widely used yet, but I've been through plenty of them with no ill effects, nor do I care if some TSA dweep is getting a picture of me that looks like I'm in that Tron movie. Nobody has ever....ever....tried a pat down search. nor have I seen any.....just the wanding on limbs of people who set off the detector the first time.

the law is pretty well settled that the gov't can take whatever reasonable measurs it requires to interdict contraband, and the new regs are a bit more aggressive, or at least the agents seem to be more aggressive.

anybody with delicate sensibilities should have sworn off commercial flying about the time Panam first class went our of business, because it's all been more or less a death march since then.

You left your fourth amedment rights at the terminal door, so don't go looking there for help. commercial pressure on the carriers so that they lean on the FAA and the TSA to cut the new intrusive procedures out may help.

the real solution is to stop scanning everybody, profile the obvious and give them a really good going over, and run the rest of us through the exprss/no groping line.

The FISA court is bustling to overflowing looking a foreign nationals in bound and out bound, and at US citizens once they leave the US. There is a whole lot of stuff in the [bleep] headed out way, and these high profile irritations are a step to minimize or disrupt plots thought to be near operational.

bottom line for now.....if you fly in one of the few airports with full body scanners....is to take it like a man, or get a pat down, the thoroughness of which might be determined by the sexual orientation of the TSA operative doing the hands on.

In the last two weeks I've flown out of Hartford, Orlando, New Orleans, and Houston twice. Never saw any hassles....some had the new scanner, some didnt, and nobody seemed to give a phlying phyck one way or the other. Bidness travelers are thinking about where they are going and what they need to do and don't pay a lot of attention to TSA drama.

Last edited by Steve_NO; 11/18/10.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I am a business traveler and am concerned about the radiation from the body scanners as I may fly 8 weeks in a row.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Partagas
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Just heard that a California DA (elect) is planning to station deputies at the airport ready to arrest TSA agents should they touch someone's crotch, breasts, or buttocks. If the touch is outside the pants, they will be charged with a misdemeanor. If inside the pants, they will be charged with a felony.

Oh goody, some more gov't jobs. Deputies to watch TSA agents.
Deputies are under county sheriffs. County sheriffs are subject to regular elections. When was the last time you cast your vote for your local TSA chief? It's called the American way.

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by mcmurphrjk
Steve, when did we buy into the notion that driving, flying, etc. is a privilege and not a right?
The airline and I are conducting a business transaction. The airline has a vested interest in their planes not falling out of the sky. The airline therefore has the right to put whatever stipulations I might accept into that agreement. Should those demands get too stringent, I can choose another carrier, or another mode of transportation.
But now the government has gotten themselves between me and the carrier, in our transaction. Now I have no say as to the terms of the transaction, so the government can impose whatever restrictions it likes, and I have no option but another form of transportation.
The way i see it, I should have a right to engage in any of these activities, as i see fit, without loss of basic rights, until there is a compelling and legal reason to forbid me from doing so.
Where did I go wrong?
You didn't. You said it 100% correct, except since you were speaking American, SteveNo cannot understand you. Try retyping it in neocon newspeak.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
Laffin...it's a right if you pay the freight and abide by their schedules and rules,I guess.

When you get a chance from your obviously long and intensive teaching day, point out to me where in ...well anything....where you have a right to travel on private airlines.

Last edited by isaac; 11/19/10.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
The groping pat downs are designed to make people prefer the scanners.
They gotta get more of them in use, Chertoff needs the money

T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by btb375
The groping pat downs are designed to make people prefer the scanners.
They gotta get more of them in use, Chertoff needs the money
+1

IC B3

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
yes, he is still just as much of a kook. he is also becoming a more skilled attention whore with the ability to cash in on a headline. nobody was getting spooled up enough about auditing the fed, but on this one he's got Drudge doing his PR for him every day.

That's what politics is all about my man--get the message out--speak out--use the information super highway--the internet has become a powerful tool to deliver info that the Establishment won't.....AND the internet has become a powerful tool for politicians to raise money via donations from average folks, rather than having to prostitute themselves to the large donors....

Besides, RP was a Tea Partier LONG before the Tea Party came to be.

And...contrary to your suggestions, RP has never struck me as having the kind of ego that needs to be fed via public attention. He believes, and he is willing to stand up and say what the establishment politicians don't want to say.

Yeah, yeah, I know...don't say it--RP and the Tea Partiers are the biggest threat to the establishment politicians out there--OF COURSE the status quo doesn't like RP........ wink

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
T
Campfire Sage
OP Offline
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by alpinecrick
yes, he is still just as much of a kook. he is also becoming a more skilled attention whore with the ability to cash in on a headline. nobody was getting spooled up enough about auditing the fed, but on this one he's got Drudge doing his PR for him every day.

That's what politics is all about my man--get the message out--speak out--use the information super highway--the internet has become a powerful tool to deliver info that the Establishment won't.....AND the internet has become a powerful tool for politicians to raise money via donations from average folks, rather than having to prostitute themselves to the large donors....

Besides, RP was a Tea Partier LONG before the Tea Party came to be.

And...contrary to your suggestions, RP has never struck me as having the kind of ego that needs to be fed via public attention. He believes, and he is willing to stand up and say what the establishment politicians don't want to say.

Yeah, yeah, I know...don't say it--RP and the Tea Partiers are the biggest threat to the establishment politicians out there--OF COURSE the status quo doesn't like RP........ wink

Casey
Which explains why Steve's trying his best to bad mouth the man.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
He believes, and he is willing to stand up and say what the establishment politicians don't want to say.
===========================

So do teenagers who haven't a clue.

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
William Arthur Ward

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
the constitution really doesn't have much application to air travel.....you decide to fly commercial, you've already waived your fourth amendment right not to be searched without a warrant.

Boy, you're providing me with all kinds of ammo this morning..... grin

The GOVERNMENT is dictating these "rules"--not private carriers. It's one thing if a private enterprise wants to require its own rules, quite another when government overreaches (by a mile).

it's more an issue of reasonableness or not, and how intrusive the goons are allowed to be. of course, if you don't refuse the scanner, you don't get felt up. and if you don't fly commercial, you never have to even see a TSA guy.

If I, and all Americans, could excercise our Constitutional rights and carry a firearm, we would never see a TSA guy either........but...that would reduce the size of government, and we can't have that........

TSA's regs are written by Big Sis and a bunch of bureaucrats, but they can be ordered by Congress to rewrite them, which is what I assume RP's bill attempts to do.

Patriot Act, TSA, and now you're seeing the consequences.

The Liberty Boys tried to explain this to you years ago--but you would have none of it......probably because the Red Team are the ones who created it and opened the door(s).

Casey

Casey

Not being married to any particular political party sure makes it a lot easier to look at the world more objectively...
Having said that, MAGA.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by isaac
He believes, and he is willing to stand up and say what the establishment politicians don't want to say.
===========================

So do teenagers who haven't a clue.

So do those who are attempting to preserve the status quo--and kind've like teenagers, the status quoists only believe in the moment and fool themselves into believing there are no consequences........

Casey

Casey

Having said that, MAGA.
I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
So do those who are attempting to preserve the status quo
==================

You're about as status quo as they come.Do nothing but whine and moan folks such as yourself epitomize status quoists.You haven't even figured that out yet,have you? It's part of your idolatry of RP and others like him. Notrhing is ever enough,even compromise, so you fellate mediocre dreamers who talk the fight but haven't a clue,the skills or even one other co-sponsor to undo 30 years of worthlessness in political office.

The statues around Washington have accomplished more than your man with only a plan....and kooky ones at that!

Last edited by isaac; 11/19/10.

William Arthur Ward

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I'm not sure what you're arguing, Casey. You don't have a right to fly. You can buy a contract with a carrier, and fly if you follow their rules. They are and have been heavily regulated by the FAA for decades and by the TSA since its formation. All their contracts are subject to the rules and regulations under which they operate.

Those rules may be stupid, they may be ineffective, and they may be more security theater than real security....as I believe they are.

But it's sort of absurd to pretend that's not the law. Of course, you and professor Hawkeye can make up whatever you want, but those of us who live in the real world, both in courtrooms and airports, have to deal with what really exists.

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm rather envious that guys like TRH,Casey and DD can immerse themselves in such a special place that reality has no significant hold of them. Those gents must frequently hear "check please" everytime they walk into their local breakfast diner!

William Arthur Ward

I
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I
I'm not sure what you're arguing, Casey.
==============

Be assured he isn't either!

William Arthur Ward

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
What is kooky about trying to keep our public servants in line?

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

166 members (300_savage, 1beaver_shooter, 14idaho, 16penny, 308xray, 28 invisible), 1,531 guests, and 1,092 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,646
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.