Print Thread
Hop To
Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I still dont see how asking about advice on how to handle this situation discredits me as a LEO?

In a LEO setting, shouldnt a younger, less experienced officer ask his superiors for advice on how to handle a situation if unclear on how to deal with it?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by firstcoueswas80
I was simply asking if it was Ok for a 14 year old to talk to someone like that. Yes, someone who is older and yes in as a guest someone elses.

Is it ok to walk up to someone you don't really know and call them a homosexual simply because you don't like their taste in music?

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
In a serious manner, no. In a joking manner, yes.

And BTW, I didnt randomly walk up to some one in the street and ask him. So lets compare apples to apples.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
words dont bug me, never have......some of the times ive gotten the most pissed was from someone calling me names that would be perfectly fine to the most delicate ears....cussing never has bugged me but i grew up around fairly rough company....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Barkoff

An elder as in the OP or Mom? Foul mouth for sure, but the punk calling the OP a profanity really isn't disrespecting the mother in my opinion..poor judgment for sure, but that is synonymous with 14rs old.

Both. OP quote: "About an hour or so later they come out of their room and this same 14 year old punk tells my MOTHER how I am an "[bleep]"."

That's not disrespecting the lady of the house? Um, OK. Different worlds, I guess I'll have to chalk that up to. Again, where and when I grew up, offending/disrespecting someone's mother or their home just ain't done, especially when under said person's roof. Referring to another member of the family, or even using profanity in the presence of a host/hostess would, should and WILL buy you a proper Bawstin' beatin' in the urban 'hoods. Even amongst enemies that shyte isn't tolerated. Times have changed, clearly, but some things don't change.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I still dont see how asking about advice on how to handle this situation discredits me as a LEO?

At face value, cops are expected I think by citizenry to be professional, even-tempered, cool under pressure and to be prepared for emotionally charged situations and to act accordingly. Many of the calls made to LEOs are domestic in nature, yes? You can't figure out how you should've reacted to an adolescent scorned/humiliated bud of your brother, a friend of the family, who's verbally spouting of--at a jab you threw questioning his manhood let's recall--at you, yet we're supposed to have total confidence in your judgment abilities and situational awareness in a SHTF real life do-or-die situation, where people's lives are potentially at stake? Holy run for the hills, Batman...

Last edited by lhonda; 11/22/10.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In a serious manner, no. In a joking manner, yes.

How did he know you were joking though? As far as I can tell, he's just a friend of your brothers. He doesn't exactly know you, if at all. To him, you're just his friend's jackass older brother who walked in while they were hanging out and insulted his sexuality. If I were him, I would have told you to [bleep] off too.

Saying something to your Mom about it is just typical 14 year old douchebaggery, but here's the thing - he's 14. He's still learning. He doesn't know any better. You, on the other hand, should know better. Popping in on a bunch of 14 year old boys and giving them a hard time isn't going to go well for you 98% of the time. What exactly were you hoping to accomplish there?

Remember, none of this would have happened if you just would have ignored them listening to Ke$ha and just went on with your life like a grown up.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lhonda

At face value, cops are expected to be objectiven and be prepared for emotionally charged situations, many domestic in nature, yes? You can't figure out how you should've reacted to a young teen, a friend of the family, who's verbally spouting of--at a jab you threw questioning his manhood let's recall-- yet we're supposed to have total confidence in your judgment abilities and situational awareness in a SHTF real life do-or-die situation, where people's lives are potentially at stake? Holy run for the hills, Batman...

Lotta truth there.

Brian.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F

At face value, cops are expected to be objectiven and be prepared for emotionally charged situations, many domestic in nature, yes? You can't figure out how you should've reacted to a young teen, a friend of the family, who's verbally spouting of--at a jab you threw questioning his manhood let's recall-- yet we're supposed to have total confidence in your judgment abilities and situational awareness in a SHTF real life do-or-die situation, where people's lives are potentially at stake? Holy run for the hills, Batman...

A. good thing im not a cop than, huh laugh

B. I am trained on what to do in a SHTF situation... This was, by no means anywhere near that.

0-2

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
hey WCB,

no one else took offense to it, my brother and his 2 other friends were laughin...

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

A. good thing im not a cop than, huh laugh

B. I am trained on what to do in a SHTF situation... This was, by no means anywhere near that.

0-2

[Linked Image]

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
hey WCB,

no one else took offense to it, my brother and his 2 other friends were laughin...

Maybe because they know you better than this other kid does and knew you were just joking. Either that, or they were laughing at you, which at this point wouldn't shock me.

Brian.

F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I had met one of the kids one other time, and the other quite a few... And, no they were laughing at how I was going about it... Which was the intent...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Why do you care what some 14 year old kid says or does? He's 14. Remember when you were 14?

Brian.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The fact that you're stumped between the merits of walking away from a kiddie camp, vanilla wafer conflict with your kid brother's running mate, one that creates a 'I can't back down' situation and a 'hey kid smarten up you're in my mom's house watch the pottymouth' tells me pretty much all I need to know about your style as LEO.

May God help any citizen who needs *real*, in your farking face, blood is gushing, people are busting caps, quick decision means the difference betwixt life and death help and you arrive on the scene. Just sayin'.

Last edited by lhonda; 11/22/10.
F
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Shocked
Campfire Outfitter
F
I never said I gave [bleep] what he said or does. I care what he says or does around/to my mother.

And when I was 14 and if I was to drop a F bomb I PROMISE you I would have got the leather belt across my ass from my old man.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I never said I gave [bleep] what he said or does. I care what he says or does around/to my mother.

And when I was 14 and if I was to drop a F bomb I PROMISE you I would have got the leather belt across my ass from my old man.

Aha! Now we're getting somewhere. Shot in the dark: ever heard of a fellah named Sigmund Freud by any chance? Nevermind. Were we to delve any deeper, I'd need to start charging. Given the rate of inflation and adjusted for today's economy, that'd run somewhere north of 80 cents an hour...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Aha! Now we're getting somewhere. Shot in the dark: ever heard of a fellah named Sigmund Freud by any chance?

[Linked Image]

Brian.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I went to bed and 4 hours later I get up and this thread is still going on.
This beats reading the news at 0200 with a cup of coffee. Not a bad read as there are some productive posts on here.
Very excited at how after over 120 posts we are getting not only to understanding what is the issue, but advice on how to handle it better.

Man I love my coffee and laughs in the morning. Thanks guys!
Time to get the uniform on and get to work.

Enrique O. Ramirez
CLAN OF THE BORDER RATS - Member

"..faith is being sure of what you hope for and certain of what you do not see.." Hebrews 11:1
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
OK so all this therapy seems to be getting you somewhere.

Originally Posted by "firstcoueswas80"
Was I probably wrong for going into the room and questioning them? Probably so

If you could just dwell on your comment there for a little while, you might realize that you instigated the entire situation and are responsible for the out come.

You need to apologize. That don't mean your brothers friend isn't in the same boat but, keep in mind, you didn't only start this, you're the adult in the situation.

BTW, when I flamed you early on in this thread, I hadn't a clue you were in law enforcement and could still careless. It doesn't have a thing to do with the situation you described.

There is another thing that you may be able to read through this thread and find to help you understand your brother and his friend a little better.

In your own words you describe your brother as a "sissy", his friend appears to be of more dominate character.
It might not be the only time the two of them have had to deal with such a situation, if his friend is your brothers defender, why beat him down?

Offer them a little support, shake the kids hand and apologize.
That might set an example to let the kid see he also needs to apologize to your mother.

He don't owe you an apology, how else could a little punk azzed kid defend himself and your brother from a dude your size? Whats he gonna jump up and kick your butt or sumtin? You didn't leave him an out.....

You just might get an apology out of him if you offer one, could be a good building block for that respect you are looking for as well.

Page 7 of 10 1 2 5 6 7 8 9 10

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

129 members (907brass, AKislander, 3333vl, 300_savage, 1_deuce, 673, 15 invisible), 1,987 guests, and 1,175 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,891
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.