Hop To
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by Bill.338
Originally Posted by BCBrian
And yet - Vancouver Island is still FULL of game - and a huge wolf population.

I heard from a moose guide in Newfoundland (who used to work in the mines in Manitoba) that G&F tried to transplant elk on Vancouver Island several times but they always swam back to the mainland. Maybe wolves were the reason?

Your friend is totally mistaken. That happens a lot when wolves are part of the conversation. Vancouver Island has elk - lot's of them.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
We do have grizzlies coming the other way though.
Grizzlies spotted on Vancouver Island

Rare sightings of huge bears in region are backed up by pictures of footprints, scat evidence
Although rarely seen on Vancouver �sland, several of the huge bears have shown up in the region in the past, after swimming over from the mainland. Two grizzly bears have been spotted recently near Strathcona Park, a rare appearance by the big bears on Vancouver Island.

"We have confirmed sightings from very reliable sources," said Kim Brunt, senior wildlife biologist in the provincial Fish and Wildlife Branch.

The Nanaimo-based expert said reports have been sporadic but solid, backed up by photos of footprints and scat evidence.

"We believe a couple of young males have been on the North Island, possibly since 2006. It appears they came from the adjacent mainland, very near Kelsey Bay."

Recent sightings have been near the White River just north of Strathcona Park, Cluxewe River near Port McNeill, and around Tahsis and Woss Lake.

"It could be the same bear," Brunt said, adding grizzlies have a large home range, "but I'm guessing there are two."

They likely swam across as "dispersing juveniles" at about two years old. "Most male mammals will take off and try to establish their own territory once grown. Grizzlies are very strong swimmers, and 20 kilometres of water is certainly not beyond their capability."

In the Hardwicke Island area, bears island-hop over water distances of a kilometre or two.

The grizzly bear is North America's second largest land carnivore, after the polar bear. They have been known to grow to 650 kilograms, but anything over 450 is rare on the coast.

"It takes an incredible diet to get to that size -- a lot of grain or corn," Brunt said. "A large adult eating mostly salmon and berries is more likely to weigh 250 kilograms."

The skat piles sighted near White River had a lot of elk hair in them.

Several grizzlies have shown up on the Island in the past, Brunt said. Ten years ago, one was shot at Fort Rupert Indian Reserve near Port Hardy. Another was shot in 2006 after charging a Sayward farmer .

No females are known to have swum over, and grizzlies don't breed with other species. Their life expectancy is about 20 years.

A grizzly can reach 2.4 metres tall on its hind legs -- a shade under eight feet -- and can run as fast as 55 kilometres per hour. Downhill they are slower, due to the large shoulder hump used to power the enormous forelegs.

"This bear is well-suited to run down game, is more predatory than a black bear -- and more cranky," said Brunt. "One was encountered near Woss recently. An individual tried to take a picture and got bluff-charged."

All bears are potentially dangerous, he stressed, especially if near their cubs or a food cache. Bears often drag their kill into undergrowth and cover it with vegetation to conceal it. Never run from a bear, he stressed.

"Back away slowly. Running can trigger an aggressive predatory response. You might look like a food source."

How does Brunt feel about grizzlies on the Island?

"I'm intrigued. Any kind of range expansion is interesting."

Read more: http://www.vancouversun.com/technol...+Island/3390919/story.html#ixzz189L8Wwxa

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bill.338
Originally Posted by BCBrian
And yet - Vancouver Island is still FULL of game - and a huge wolf population.

I heard from a moose guide in Newfoundland (who used to work in the mines in Manitoba) that G&F tried to transplant elk on Vancouver Island several times but they always swam back to the mainland. Maybe wolves were the reason?

i think it was moose they tryed to transplant..

BC Brian the wolves returned to VAN ISLAND some years ago and the deer population suffered greatly,and if yoiu look at the mainland the woodland caribou have all but disapeared,

the wolves are not everywhere but where they are the undulate heards have diminished expodentually

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
There is a connection between woodland caribou and wolves, but it has more to do with habitat destruction (logging and clear cuts, urban development) than wolves alone.

<B>Make it idiot proof, and some one will make a better idiot</B>
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hopefully that got rid of the dead link.

Last edited by n007; 12/16/10.
IC B2

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
That's got to be the second longest link I've ever seen on wolves. And it didn't work. laugh grin

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
+2

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Steffen,
I have shot six using a 22-250 Speer 52gr.HP (my coyote fur bullet at the time), and three with a .257AI using a 85gr. NBT
All either called or shot off a cow, calf or steer they killed.

Wolves are the only animal that I will take any shot that they give me so with that in mind today I would use a TSX or Win 62gr. bullet in the 22-250 and forget about the fur, or better yet my little M7 in .260 with 120gr. NBT.. (6.5X55 whistle)
A 100gr should work nicely also but so far I haven't found a load that shots sub MOA in the M7..
Generally as others have said, any smaller caliber, flat shooting deer cart. would be preferred..

Last edited by Nrut; 12/17/10.

It's a great life if you don't weaken..
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
tecknical[spelling] but an interesting read ,what would be interesting would be wolf pop on the island at this time

IC B3

O
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
O
Any rifle that you happen to have in your hands at the time would probably work fine for wolf.

Even so I believe in the 'use enough gun' theory and given the choice I'd go with my old 30-06.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]
'Nam Vet '67, '68, '69
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

79 members (257robertsimp, 01Foreman400, 35, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 11 invisible), 826 guests, and 831 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,845
Posts18,517,396
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.