R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by rost495
Originally Posted by Huntz
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It'd be fanciful to think that Winchester would use somebody else's primers in their ammo. For just one thing, they say their primers are specifically tailored for use with Ball� powders.

Some labs - Speer was once one - used an in-house rule to use magnum primers with ALL spherical powders, no matter what. That ignored such things as case capacity, which is a major consideration for primer choice. Lately, that inflexible rule seems to have been set aside, thank goodness. Current data books that I've seen now show a mix of standard versus magnum primers even with spherical powders. The choice may revolve around case capacity and the particular powder used - which are the two proper decision points, IMO.

Years ago I followed a Speer recipe for 22-250 and used a magnum primer with a starting load with a ball powder and blew the extractor off of my Custom Sako.Case volume has everything to do with the use on a Magnum primer!!!!! eek

a 22-250 would be a mag in my books.. bore diameter vs case capacity....

The mag primer didn't blow the extractor, it was the bad load data that did more than likely.
I run all mags in 223 cases well over 100K rounds fired in the competition years.... probably well more than that actually since it was up to 20K a year at times. And I ran probably 50/50 ball and extruded powder.

My rule.... try to take the best info you can IE what powder/primer combo is suggested most as a match... IE in 223 Varget and CCI BR4 and you need look no further..... and then I test.

I never write off a primer as I've ended up using every last one at some point or another in combos through a barrels life while playing with different stuff.

primers are one thing that I've noticed can cut a group in half or double or triple it by simply trying another primer with a certain powder in a safe load..

If the mag primer did not cause the pressure spike then why did the exact same load with a standard primer not show any presssure signs??????I have only found this to be true when using Ball Powders with a Mag primer.I never said I did not use it with other powders.The primers were CCI Mags.A friend had the same thing happen to him in his Remington 22 250.
The Gunsmith that repaired my bolt said he had repaired many rifles that had the same problem so it just aint me!!!!

Forgot about this thread... lets just say there should be no way, using a starting load, that a mag primer would do that. Heck not all mag primers are even all that hot... I"ve seen some testing at some point that showed one match primer as hot as one mag primer....

You are always in uncharted waters if you don't follow everythign to a T, but that being said, if you use the bottom load as a starter I fail to see that a primer caused the issue. The only way would be super tight throat, chamber, over weight case IE less internal capacity, tight dimensioned bore, large bullet, etc.... where you would get a lot of things stacked up against you.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
It'd be fanciful to think that Winchester would use somebody else's primers in their ammo. For just one thing, they say their primers are specifically tailored for use with Ball� powders.

That was my thinking as well. However, that doesn't, or didn't previously, hold true for the powders they use. I acquired a whole pile of 225 Winchester Super Speed and Super-X ammo which has what looks like a DuPont IMR 4064 propellant in it. (It's older yellow-box ammo, consequently my thinking that it may be DuPont.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by jim62
Then why are there Magnum small rifle and magnum small/large pistol primers?

None of those primers are ever used in cases larger than your 22-250.

jim62-

There are a couple of exceptions. Some special runs of larger rifle cases, e.g. 308 and 30-30, have been made to take small rifle primers, usually for competition. The 450 Bushmaster cartridge uses small rifle primers. I suspect there are others.

--Bob

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Never had ignition problems with my 7x57, F210s, and W760, even in temps down to zero. Point, squeeze, get out the knife.

"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing."
Robert E. Howard
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

198 members (10Glocks, 12344mag, 35, 300jimmy, 2UP, 24 invisible), 1,594 guests, and 1,081 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,749
Posts18,495,271
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.