-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Carol Anne's birth date � 7-7-'37 � has always been easy to remember.

"Good enough" isn't.

Always take your responsibilities seriously but never yourself.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Waders you happen to know another one that's reached the seven decade mark, will be 70 +1 next March and as far as Computers are concerned I've learned how to put garbage into a computer but never could figure out how to retrieve it and I wrote the program as I was a programmer & a systems analyst at one point in life over forty years ago.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Yeah, but Archie, Basic and Cobol don't count anymore. wink neither do those punch card code boards. grin

Back in the heartland, Thank God!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Class of 1938.

TT

Waders Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Kamerad_Les
Yeah, but Archie, Basic and Cobol don't count anymore. wink neither do those punch card code boards. grin

That's funny! Remember this:

10 print "I am da Man!!"
20 goto 10

I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!I am da Man!!

Ahhh...the good ol' days!

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
grin Don't miss them at all, writing code gets interesting now. shocked

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My "kid" brothers will be 77 in February and 74 in January. Think I might remind 'em that they're old phardts. grin

"Good enough" isn't.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
71 this coming March! Don't shoot or hunt much anymore......AFTER DARK!! Usually can find me on my own range most any hour of the day or during hunting season....on stand somewhere south of the Canadian border and north of Gulf of Mexico! Shoot M1874 Sharps rifles with blackpowder, smokeless rifles, bowhunt, cast bullets, reload, elk hunt and no...I ain't quite ready to be patted in the face with a spade yet....Lord willing! I have 7 grandchildren that need teaching all this stuff I've learned and I intend to impart to them as much of it as I'm allowed to!

You're only as old as you make yourself out to be!!

Even birds know not to land downwind!
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Tell me about it we had two Burroughs computers a 2500 and a 3500 one was used for batch mode and the other on line and the one line one used the old cathode moniters and linotype data entry modules it was still in the stoneage era of computers but it was still above the old RCAs & IBMs which were pure binary programed.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
How big of a room was that old systme in? shocked wink

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by W7ACT
� we had two Burroughs computers a 2500 and a 3500 one was used for batch mode and the other on line and the one line one used the old cathode moniters and linotype data entry modules it was still in the stoneage era of computers but it was still above the old RCAs & IBMs which were pure binary programed.

At work (Saudia Flight Crew Ground Training Center, Jeddah), we plodded along with a slow, complicated, anemic old Canadian AES word-processer with eight-inch floppies.

At home, I got worlds more done, more easily, in less time, with WordStar on my 1983-vintage IBM with five-inch floppies.

"Good enough" isn't.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Mom had an old wordstar that she used alot, that thing had the same 5 inch floppies, I'm betting she still has it stored away. Les

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
in a lot of cases one can still hunt regardless of age. Just requires adapting. I find turkey hunting to be of this variety, and so is dove hunting.
A bunch is going up north this weekend to hunt elk, most are either over 70 or close to it. they use a.t.v.'s to get around where the legs don't work so good anymore. I bought one specifically for this reason.

THE BIRTH PLACE OF GERONIMO
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
How big of a room was that old system in? shocked wink

About 30'x30' as there was two CPUs, two printers, two punch card readers, eight reel to reel tape drives and I can't remember how much memory in disc cabinets, but the tape drives took up one wall and the memory cabinets took up another wall and there was another room for storage of the tape reels. With all the cabling tying the network togeather power to the various units under a false floor and a massive aircoditioning system to deal with the heat generated from the system. I'm sure you have seen some of what I'm talking about in your travels around various military installations.

By today's standards it was really primitive, my lap top I'm typing this on is far more powerful and has much more storage than the whole system we had forty years ago and this laptop is already obsolete. We've come a long way in all these years, we never thought that there would be a computer in every household and that you could pick it up and take it with you. You can do with this lap top what it took you a whole room of equipment with another room of key punch operators to support the computer.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
I am 76 will be 77 next Feb, don't hunt much anymore, but do still shoot at the club and trade a few here and there. Hunting confined to riding along in the jeep to a blind and sitting there, can't do the walking anymore.

NRA Life Member 1969
OGCA
US Army 1954-1956
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
Just curious. I wouldn't expect that there are many people out there who are that old and interested in both computers and hunting/shooting. (I know a 72 yr old who still hunts, but won't go near a computer).

I know of at least two here; are there more?

Much to my surprise, I made it to seventy six November 25, Thanksgiving day. I don't hunt big game anymore, too much work when you whack one, but I enjoy shooting and getting out in the mountains for pretty long fishing hole walks whenever I can. Gotta admit that the Montana Beartooth mountains are much steeper than they used to be but walking the trails sure beats riding in a helicopter to look at 'em. I ain't ready to get old yet.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Several of you mentioned that you don't hunt anymore and a friend who just turned 73 has stopped hunting. He says he no longer has the blood lust although, I'm not sure that I'd equate blood lust to hunting.

Curious, how many of you have stopped hunting because it has become physically too dificult and how many because you have just lost the desire?

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The physical thing just naturally enters in for a lot of people at much earlier ages but other conditions come into play, also. Since April of 1999, I have been butchered three times for cancer and had to do eight hours face down on the operating table while the Dr. overhauled my back. Took quite a while to get over that ordeal but I'm sure glad he did what he did.

God is great, not just good.

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I'll be 71 this January, and am still fascinated by hunting. Here's where I hunt and what I hunt for.

Wyoming for deer, antelope, elk and PDs: Alaska for black bear: Montana for black bear, ground squirrel and rock chucks: British Columbia for moose: New Hampshire for moose(if I draw a tag):Pennsylvania for deer, black bear and ground hogs:Maryland for deer,ducks, geese, rabbits, squirrels, doves and ground hogs:Virginia for deer, squirrels and ground hogs:West Virginia for deer and squirrels: New Brunswick for black bear.

I suspect the two best indicators that I continue to be fascinated with hunting are that I'm still looking for new places to hunt and new rifles to buy.

But the best part is that I'm also now hunting with my grandchildren

Steve

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I'll be 70 late next year. I feel younger, but the joints do hurt.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

71 members (10Glocks, 6mmbrfan, 10gaugemag, 300_savage, 673, 9 invisible), 1,584 guests, and 758 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,977
Posts18,499,508
Members73,984
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.