Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Great cat General!

Did you weigh the bobcat or did you guesstimate 50 pounds?

Thanks...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
GB1

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
Great cat General!

Did you weigh the bobcat or did you guesstimate 50 pounds?

Thanks...

Hello Greg
It weighed 50 Pounds before it was Guted...Thegeneral

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
That's a world record sized cat then general...

The largest cat on record weighed 48'ish pounds...

The cat in your photo, even after gutting, is just not even near the 50 pound range unless it was eating dumbells...grin...

The lion in the below picture with my brother in it only weighed 52 pounds for reference.
[Linked Image]

I'm not trying to rain on your parade one bit nor call your integrity into question. I've been around many, many cats.

I would guess your scale is malfunctioning...

Are you going to mount the cat?

- Greg

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Hello Greg
I don't know it was an old Grain scale in a well weathered Barn. It may have been off, who knows ? Was that one shot with a handgun ? I am going to full mount this Cat Indeed. Thegeneral

Yeah, though I walk through the Valley of the Shadow of Death ,... I Shall Fear no Evil, as I Always have with me Me my Loaded Smith & Wesson "..
G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
General,

The cat above was shot with a rifle at close range...

Hope your mount turns out great...

- Greg

IC B2

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by GregW
General,

The cat above was shot with a rifle at close range...

Hope your mount turns out great...

Hello Grag
That's Kinda what I figured. You ought to try one with a handgun. It's an emotional mix of "Ball's & Skill", But those that know me well enough here and know my Deep affection for S&W revolver's wouldn't Expect anything Less from me.I knew deep down if I Missed or simply wounded this cat it may be in my Lap tearing me to shreads. let's face it, it aint Normal to see Wild Cat's out & about in broad daylight, he was hungry and desprate in my mind. I had a Marlin Model 336 in my lap that day too, but I felt that Cat would have been Far too easy to take with a scoped rifle. That scale may have been off some, but I can tell you that carrying it out not being dressed out got real tiring for my Son In Law & I. We Both had our rifles over our shoulders on slings, but the cat still seemed heavy until it was gutted, and I feel it was in excess of 35-40 L.B.S. before it was dressed out. It also made it look alot smaller mid Body wise once it was gutted and now I wish I had Taken Pictures of it whole, but that's all behind me now and can't be changed. One of my reasons for taking this Cat with the handgun was simply too many Guy's have bad mouthed this new caliber thinking it is not capable, well I guess it is Proven now to be Very Potent & Accurate hasn't it ?It will be leaving shortly from my Freezer to be Mounted, I will Post Pictures when it is done...Thegeneral

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
General,

We call our predators to us with game calls. We need to carry rifles as our shots can be quite extended at times. For close range we use a shotgun. It can get quite chaotic at times with critters running around and although a handgun hunt would be great fun, it would handi-cap us for the way we hunt these predators. A deer will fall to my .357 S&W one day very soon though.

You'd be quite surprised that we kill most of our cats during the day. They can be up and active all throughout the day dependent on the local circumstances.

Good shooting general...

PS - I sure love perusing this forum and looking at your revolvers general. Some mighty fine pieces you have sir...

Last edited by GregW; 11/24/09.

- Greg

Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
General,

Great job with the cat! Anytime you take a predator with a handgun, it's an accomplishment for sure!

That said.....What you shot wasn't a 50 pound bobcat. Looking at it on the tailgate it looks to half of 50 pounds.
I know, you can start the flames now, and they DO feel heavier. But they aren't.
We shoot LOTS of cats, and they VERY seldom ever tip the scales past 40 pounds.

Greg knows what he's talking about too. Known him for years. He's being polite to you for your ignorance of predators. wink But, he's spot on.

The .327 Magnum caliber is a good one with merit in lots of areas, including hunting, and that's a nice S&W you have.

Nobody's trying to discount what you did. That was great! Perhaps an open mind to what a critter actually weighs may be in order though. Congrats on the nice cat. It'll make a dandy mount. When you get it to the taxidermist, please bother him to weigh it in front of you. Unless the guts weighed 30 pounds, I think you'll be surprised.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rockinbbar
General,

Great job with the cat! Anytime you take a predator with a handgun, it's an accomplishment for sure!

That said.....What you shot wasn't a 50 pound bobcat. Looking at it on the tailgate it looks to half of 50 pounds.
I know, you can start the flames now, and they DO feel heavier. But they aren't.
We shoot LOTS of cats, and they VERY seldom ever tip the scales past 40 pounds.

Greg knows what he's talking about too. Known him for years. He's being polite to you for your ignorance of predators. wink But, he's spot on.

The .327 Magnum caliber is a good one with merit in lots of areas, including hunting, and that's a nice S&W you have.

Nobody's trying to discount what you did. That was great! Perhaps an open mind to what a critter actually weighs may be in order though. Congrats on the nice cat. It'll make a dandy mount. When you get it to the taxidermist, please bother him to weigh it in front of you. Unless the guts weighed 30 pounds, I think you'll be surprised.

Hello
One thing I am Not is Ignorant on any Game. I have Taken more Game with handgun in the past 25 Years than most have seen. In response to the continued weight issue, I went to my Garage and pulled the Cat out of my Freezer and weighed it on my Bathroom scale. It is shown below to be weigning 40 Pounds Gutted. I would assume the Internals of this animal may just have been close to the Ten Pound difference in weight here ? I am no arm chair Hunting or animal expert I Just hunt so now I hope the weight issue will rest, unless you will say this scale is off as well ? Thegeneral

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by generalstuart

Hello Grag
That's Kinda what I figured. You ought to try one with a handgun. It's an emotional mix of "Ball's & Skill", But those that know me well enough here and know my Deep affection for S&W revolver's wouldn't Expect anything Less from me.I knew deep down if I Missed or simply wounded this cat it may be in my Lap tearing me to shreads. let's face it, it aint Normal to see Wild Cat's out & about in broad daylight, he was hungry and desprate in my mind.

That's kinda overplayed, you weren't in nearly as much danger as you imagined. I never heard of anyone gutting a bobcat for the taxidermist before. Usually they are just bagged whole and frozen until they can be dropped off at the taxidermist shop. A true fifty pound bobcat is a real monster of a cat and actually looks very, very, oversized xtra-large. They'll fool ya for sure. Congrat's on the good shot and your trophy bobcat!

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
IC B3

Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by MOGC
Originally Posted by generalstuart

Hello Grag
That's Kinda what I figured. You ought to try one with a handgun. It's an emotional mix of "Ball's & Skill", But those that know me well enough here and know my Deep affection for S&W revolver's wouldn't Expect anything Less from me.I knew deep down if I Missed or simply wounded this cat it may be in my Lap tearing me to shreads. let's face it, it aint Normal to see Wild Cat's out & about in broad daylight, he was hungry and desprate in my mind.

That's kinda overplayed, you weren't in nearly as much danger as you imagined. I never heard of anyone gutting a bobcat for the taxidermist before. Usually they are just bagged whole and frozen until they can be dropped off at the taxidermist shop. A true fifty pound bobcat is a real monster of a cat and actually looks very, very, oversized xtra-large. They'll fool ya for sure. Congrat's on the good shot and your trophy bobcat!

Hello MOGC
It was 73 Degrees last Saturday here in my neck of the woods, that is why it was gutted to cool it and not spoil the hide nor mount as far as Over Playing it, I have never been that close to one and when he dropped down to stalk mode Hissing with a low pitched Growl, I figured he was not going to ask me out for Tea and Crumpets.. You guys are unreal I swear, I have seen footage on Television where a Tamed cat has turned on it's owner and Tore him to pieces in a heart beat, so how can you say this cat would not have attacked ? as the Guy with a Big Wanker said... Show me Yours ..... grin Thegeneral.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
outstanding effort and good fortune to harvest that cat with one of your handsome revolvers

weight or danger nonwithstanding

appreciate you again sharing your revolvers with us and this time with some bidness on the muzzle end of it

"This ain't dress rehearsal....it's the life you get to live, make it a good one."

TEAMWORK = a bunch of people doing what I say
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
...as far as Over Playing it, I have never been that close to one...

And that explains it nicely. No disrespect intended but surely you aren't the old dog that can't learn a new trick, are you? Some dedicated predator callers and trappers have been around A LOT of bobcats for years and have much experience with them. Some of those guys just might be on this forum also. Just saying... Once again, nice shot and congrat's on your first bobcat.

Every normal man must be tempted, at times, to spit on his hands, hoist the black flag, and begin slitting throats.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Any more want to challenge the weight issue? Looks like a dead cat on a scale tipping forty pounds to me. I think some little boys owe generalstuart a bit of an appology.

Some people.......

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
There's no reason to comment further. My comments were not a challenge in the least bit. I was simply letting him know some facts.

Again, great looking cat general and good luck to you and your handgun hunting...

- Greg

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Nice cat GeneralStuart! Even better that you got it with a handgun. Congrats!

Liberalism is a mental disorder that leads to social disease.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by THOMASMAGNUM
Any more want to challenge the weight issue? Looks like a dead cat on a scale tipping forty pounds to me. I think some little boys owe generalstuart a bit of an appology.

Some people.......

Yep, some people know better.

This cat was a shade over 40 pounds.

[Linked Image]

My dog is 49 pounds.

I know it would have taken 2-3 of those bathroom scales to get him on it. He just simply wouldn't have fit.
Now, I'm 6'05" so you can judge the size of that cat somewhat by that.

If you want some other opinions, just go to a predator hunting website, post that pic up, and title the thread "50 Pound Bobcat".
You get some opinions in a hurry from those that know about predators.

Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla!
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
That's a very nice cat, general, and a heck of a handgun trophy. As far as big cats go, check this out:

Here Kitty Kitty�. New North America Record Bobcat Taken?

February 13, 2009

Wisconsin hunter Dave Arendt has killed one huge bobcat that has surpassed the state record and may be the largest bobcat ever taken.

�I had been chasing a big one up in Marinette County that was the biggest paw print I had ever seen,� Arendt said. �This was just a chance occurrence.�

The cat�s track was already 18 hours old when Arendt, on a hunt organized by Andy Dryja, found it. It measured 3 1/2 inches and the stride was huge, Arendt said, comparable to a small cougar.

The bobcat led the hunters on a lengthy chase, complicated by crossing trails with other cats and a coyote. Eventually, the group came close enough to their quarry to release the trailing hounds.

The animal was treed and dispatched shortly thereafter.

A male, the 52-pound bobcat eclipsed the Wisconsin verified record of a 48.84 pound cat killed in Marinette County in 1984.

In comparison, the largest verified cat taken in Minnesota weighed 38.72 pounds.

�One over 40 pounds is the rare thing,� Arendt said. �Bobcat hunters are always looking for those.�

To date, no record of a verified cat that is larger has been found across North America, meaning that the bobcat might find immortality in the record books.

Arendt said the cat has already been placed on the Wisconsin record list, but it will take more studies before it is certified as a national record animal.

here's a link to a picture of the 52 pound cat for scale:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_C-wWdlhqHzE/SZY5Ku1C0TI/AAAAAAAAI78/Axg4uJzaRhc/s288/020409bobcat.jpg

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
... here's a link to a picture of the 52 pound cat for scale:

http://lh3.ggpht.com/_C-wWdlhqHzE/SZY5Ku1C0TI/AAAAAAAAI78/Axg4uJzaRhc/s288/020409bobcat.jpg

Yep, that is a whopper! That picture is awesome. The General is a good guy and has every right to be proud of his handgunned bobcat. Here is a stocky cat with shoulders on him I called and killed last December. I am 5' 10" 200 pounds in the background. I'll let ya guess how much it weighed.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And the picture of it gutted on scale showing forty pounds.....?

Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

579 members (160user, 1beaver_shooter, 16penny, 17CalFan, 1badf350, 1234, 55 invisible), 2,435 guests, and 1,309 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,647
Posts18,474,558
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.