Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
65BR Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
I do seem to prefer how my Zeiss Conquest stands out compared to Leupold duplex - wired reticle.

Anyone? As many 'upgrades' over time on so many things (along w/price hikes and confusing similar nomenclature), is an 'Etched' considered cost prohibitive in mfg. to keep their profits?

Just wondering as Leupold does not always seem to be the mfg who is always on the cutting edge.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
i would guess "COST."

I did call leupold and ask this very question. I was told I sure could get an etched duplex. Kindly call the custom shop and ask for the illuminated duplex reticle to be installed (even if it isnt an illuminated scope).

cost 169.99$

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Leupold are IMO astute marketers. They can place their product (even if it is slightly out of date and released behind everyone else) correctly in the market to maximise profit. They do a good job of it.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
marketers is right...

index matched lens system
xtended twighlight lens system
diamond coat
diamond coat 2

yada yada yada

Last edited by SAKO75; 12/05/10.

"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered."
― George Orwell, 1984
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I have heard that the Boone & Crockett is an etched reticle. Perhaps that's why it stayed visible better for me in low light.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
that is etched, most complicated reticles are

― George Orwell, 1984
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by 65BR
I do seem to prefer how my Zeiss Conquest stands out compared to Leupold duplex - wired reticle.

Anyone? As many 'upgrades' over time on so many things (along w/price hikes and confusing similar nomenclature), is an 'Etched' considered cost prohibitive in mfg. to keep their profits?

Just wondering as Leupold does not always seem to be the mfg who is always on the cutting edge.

The B&C are the only ones that are etched if I am not mistaken. Seems like Leupold is trying out other cost effective ways of making custom reticles and going away from etching.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
i'd think the Varmint Hunter's retical would be etched also.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yup, it is.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Tophet1
Leupold are IMO astute marketers. They can place their product (even if it is slightly out of date and released behind everyone else) correctly in the market to maximise profit. They do a good job of it.

I don't believe anyone is more successful at selling old technology than they are. To qualify that, how old was fully multi-coating tech when Leupold "introduced" Multi-Coat 4 ? How old was coating lenses to enhance the blue light end of the color spectrum, named "Xtended Twilight" by Leupold ? Zeiss, S&B and Kahles have done that for more than 50 years. Then we have that catchy "new" Index Matched technology. Any and every optic design has it's glass and coatings "matched" to transmit light efficiently.

IC B3

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
but, honestly, many shooters are more receptive to old tech. than new stuff.

Guns don't kill people, drivers with cell phones kill people.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
You are probably right, as I'm not one for being a test subject. I went back in my post and qualified a bit of what I was referring to. Much of the stuff Leupold has "introduced" is very old technology.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by 65BR

One reason I've always gone B&C or LRD on used Leupold scopes. Generally can pick them up for a lot less than Leupold charges new, and I like an etched reticle.

Have seen a few busted wire reticles - one messed up what could have been a pretty good day.

DJ

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Originally Posted by SAKO75
i would guess "COST."

I did call leupold and ask this very question. I was told I sure could get an etched duplex. Kindly call the custom shop and ask for the illuminated duplex reticle to be installed (even if it isnt an illuminated scope).

cost 169.99$

FYI, the Conquest with etched reticle is cheaper than a comparable Leupy.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
First of all, I've noticed that if I focus both the reticle and the image of that scope, the Leupold wire reticles stand out just as well as the etched designs. Have both types in Leupold scopes.
Second, Leupold no longer uses wire reticles. They use either electroform reticles, which their testing has determined are stronger/tougher than either the etched variety or their wire design, or etched reticles. Since etched designs allow them to more precisely place things like Mil-Dots, etc, their tactical and ranging/holdover designs are all of etched constuction.
Etched reticles do cost more to make. But the cost is no where like the cost mentioned. I understand it is a small difference.
Last of all, I've seen a few wire designs, both their's and other's, break in the field. None of the wire designs put the rifle out of action because only one leg of the reticle broke. But when I've broken an etched design, the whole reticle shattered rendering the scope useless. E

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Ah, schit, here we go....

V
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
V
65BR: So YOU prefer Zeiss reticles - so what?
Your post is full of inuendo and baseless opinion!
Why then, "pray tell", do the folks at Leupold sell more scopes than any other manufacturer in the world???
For the last MANY years I pay particular attention to the Hunters I see afield and shooters I see at various Rifle ranges and these Hunters/shooters prefer and use more Leupolds by a LARGE Margin!
Case in point there 65BR - go obtain the last four issues of Eastmans Hunting Journal (I have them on hand in case YOU can't obtain them).
Then carefully peruse the "Equipment List" that accompanies virtually every Hunting article that they include in their fine magazine.
You WILL notice that Leupold scopes are used by more of their authors/Hunters than any other brand!
And these are SUCCESSFUL and sophisticated Hunters by the way.
I wonder why so many of them use Leupold scopes???
Your baseless attempt (posting) at besmirching Leupold scopes holds absolutely NO creedence what so ever with me nor with legions of other successful and sophisticated Hunters/shooters!
I have used and currently own products made by Zeiss and about a dozen and a half other optical companies but when the chips are down I trust Leupold scopes explicitly!
Your ignorant comment about "Leupold not being on the cutting edge of technology" just proves my point - YOU are ignorant!
Leupold has led the way in scope innovation for DECADES!
Sorry to be so blunt with you but you are just another ignorant and unsuccessful Leupold basher!
Leupold scopes are an excellent investment of ones monies and are a reliable and excellent performing scope - thats why they are the number one selling scope in the world.
Long live Leupold & Stevens Company!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

G
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
G
Gosh you get old...

- Greg

Success is found at the intersection of planning, hard work, and stubbornness.
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
65BR:
Why then, "pray tell", do the folks at Leupold sell more scopes than any other manufacturer in the world???

They don't, Bushnell does and most of the scopes sold are under 50.00

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Originally Posted by VarmintGuy
65BR: So YOU prefer Zeiss reticles - so what?

Case in point there 65BR - go obtain the last four issues of Eastmans Hunting Journal (I have them on hand in case YOU can't obtain them).
Then carefully peruse the "Equipment List" that accompanies virtually every Hunting article that they include in their fine magazine.
You WILL notice that Leupold scopes are used by more of their authors/Hunters than any other brand!
And these are SUCCESSFUL and sophisticated Hunters by the way.
I wonder why so many of them use Leupold scopes???
Your baseless attempt (posting) at besmirching Leupold scopes holds absolutely NO creedence what so ever with me nor with legions of other successful and sophisticated Hunters/shooters!

VarmintGuy

Ever heard of "Paid Advertisers" or "Paid Sponsors"

"If it doesn't matter who wins or loses, then why do they keep score?"
Vince Lombardi
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (7mm_Loco, 6MMWASP, 6mmbrfan, 3333vl, 9 invisible), 1,762 guests, and 1,014 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,626
Posts18,492,901
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.