Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 458 Lott
I've thought of picking up a pinzqauer, the 6 wheel vans would make for a pretty interesting hunting rig, with room for sleeping out of the elements.

Given their current popularity with various European Militaries, I think we are going to see far more surplus Pinzqauer on the market in the next few years..

Keeping with the idea of a camper, somebody else I know ran a Mitsubishi like the one below for a while..
[Linked Image]

Its more or less the same running gear and chasis as their successful 4x4 L200 pick up...The seats in the back folded into a very ueful sleeping area, althougth I'm not sure I want to share it with a deer carcass though! grin

GB1

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by joecool544

Nothing wrong with a landrover, I just like jeeps and they have a huge after market support at least in the States.

I think they fill the same niche in their respective home countries...

Was looking at restored Korean war vinage jeep a few weeks ago and it made me think how far we moved from the idea of a basic, capable 4x4 thats a workhorse first and fore most...

In the UK, even the LandRovers have gotten very complex and seem to be catering more to the Yuppies rather than their traditional market of farmers and outdoor workers..

Last edited by Pete E; 12/07/10.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Pete E

Nothing wrong with a landrover, I just like jeeps and they have a huge after market support at least in the States.

I think they fill the same niche in their respective home countries...

Was looking at restored Korean war vinage jeep a few weeks ago and it made me think how far we moved from the idea of a basic, capable 4x4 thats a workhorse first and fore most...

In the UK, even the LandRovers have gotten very complex and seem to be catering more to the Yuppies rather than their traditional market of farmers and outdoor workers..

i kinda think the same of Jeep Wranglers.....test drove a new one last year and decided the sticker price wasnt worth it given a chunk of the stuff i was gonna be paying for was gonna be ripped out in the first month......ill stick to the used market....if they would sell me a bone stock 2 door Wrangler with a Rubicon drivetrain i would jump on it.....

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
they stopped making jeeps in 06 grin not sure what they sell now sick

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
my wife says they stopped making them in 86 grin

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Well they did! they started making that thing with square headlights grin sick than they started again in 97 and stopped 06 grin

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
if i get a newer one im gonna find a used TJ, the JKs just dont appeal to me, damn things cost as much as a full sized truck.....

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I really liked my cjs can't say the same for my back and kidneys though wink

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
TJs are great and I love the suspension. smile

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

aftermarket seats......thats all ive got to say grin

quoting my dad....."you have a bad back and you bought a CJ? are you retarded?" crazy grin

IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by rattler

aftermarket seats......thats all ive got to say grin

quoting my dad....."you have a bad back and you bought a CJ? are you retarded?" crazy grin

Yeah I hear that, but I had my cjs long before I had the bad back....hhmmm might be something to that grin

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Oh and I had aftermarket seats wink

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
no doubt TJ's ride better but i bought the 77 CJ5 for less than half of what the new quads i was looking at went for and i can haul another person and more guns easier.....couldnt pass it up....eventually might get a used TJ for around town and playing in the hills but for now the CJ will do.....also want my father in laws CJ7.....

Last edited by rattler; 12/07/10.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Just have to keep a eye out for a good deal, as said I pick up a tj for 1500

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
What if I said......

[Linked Image]

I'm seriously looking at one like this....

For fishing, I really like fishing.

Something clever here.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
know guys on the other side of the state that use rigs like that for chasing cougars with hounds once it snows good.....

Last edited by rattler; 12/07/10.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
They use Tuckers for winter access on the trans alaska pipeline.

I could see that being a bit more comfortable than a snowmachine, but also quite a bit slower.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Well, we have a big damn lake that gets hard to travel when it freezes over.Actual "sno cats" like this can travel anywhere and pull a couple 4x4 trucks behind sideways while doing it.

If you want to pull a big ice fishing house around on a lake, this will do.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Newer tacoma (would rather have a hilux actually) 4 door, with a canopy (topper), 2" lift and 32" MT's. So practical. Can haul way enough stuff for two guys, can do jeep trails, small enough, large enough, reliable, decent milage (19 mpg hwy) and meteor proof.

Sean
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I was just looking at the new Jeeps. While you can't, apparently, get the heavy duty front drive axle with the bone stock model(s), you do get the HD rear as a stock item. Which you really do need with the 6 cylinder engines. The Rubicon Jeep is the Jeep that the hard core jeep users have been building and dreaming of for many years. One wonders why it took Jeep so long to put it together.
I'm still driving my 2nd, a 2000 model Wrangler. It's been very impressive. I've had the front end alginment checked every year. Hasn't needed a thing in at least three years. I hunt it, off road for the whole season as a rule, and use it all summer and into the fall off road. The only break downs I've had have been tires. I've learned that, for my uses, I need to use 6 ply tires. Even those get ripped up at times.
As far as how much you push a 4WD when hunting, I limit myself to those areas which I know aren't safe. But even iffy stuff I sometimes try. If I have a passenger, he or she walks or waits while I do the "iffy" driving.
When I go hunting, my camp is a truck camper that sits on a very capable Dodge 4X4. If I break the Jeep, the Dodge can be used to drag the Jeep back to civilization. The plain fact is that off road driving puts far more stress on a vehicle than many understand. If it's going to break, it will do so when you need it most. The long held rule of picking such rigs is that tough constuction is No.1. E

Page 3 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

696 members (007FJ, 1beaver_shooter, 10gaugemag, 1eyedmule, 160user, 71 invisible), 3,247 guests, and 1,338 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,105
Posts18,483,265
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.