-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Land Rover LR3. Goes absolutely everywhere, and a very tight turn radius.

[Linked Image]

GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
This has been my hunting rig the last 20 years. Alas, I'm getting old and fat, the kids are entering their teens, and things are finally beginning to break. Hence I will will soon be driving something different. Perhaps a Tacoma TRD crewcab or more likely a 2011 Ford F150 crewcab (ecoboost or 5L?).

This 1991 Toyota has been awesome, but is in need of some work, that I can't do. Too small for the family too.

[Linked Image]

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Dave:

Very, Very cool. I worked around a lot of 'cat's for grooming and occasionally for lift maint and fire duty in summer when I worked at Breckenridge a long while back and they were a bunch of fun. They ran mostly LMC/DMC and Pisten Bully with diesels but the Mt. restaurant used a Tucker to hustle food and drink on Peak 9... Back in western NY many of the ski area's used Tucker's for their trail grooming (keep in mind if you need parts). Hard ground was tough on the grousers and belts. Overhauling the tracks was not hard just labor intensive. That 318 in yours is near bulletproof.

Enjoy and be safe
Patty

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks, I'll get to test it's fish house towing abilities on lake of the woods this weekend.

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by mrmarklin
I have a Land Rover LR3. Goes absolutely everywhere, and a very tight turn radius.

[Linked Image]

Yep with all that ground clearance and those tires I'm sure it does quite well in the mall parking lots grin could get hung on a speed bump if your not careful though laugh

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting rig is going to change this coming year, I am taking the wife's 2004 Jeep Laredo and putting new off road type tires on it in about 2 weeks. I just got finished installing new shocks with coil springs in the back for more weight and stability on the road. It gets far better gas (20 mpg) mileage than the truck ( 1-ton Ford 4x4 V-10) I been using for the past 4 years.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hey Joe,

Plenty of ground clearance. Has adjustable air shocks. Tires are M+S, very adequate for what I do.
This vehicle wins every off-road test ever run against other comparable vehicles, including Jeep.

You're only showing your ignorance.

Last edited by mrmarklin; 02/03/11.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Oh yeah, it's good at Malls too................................

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have a project jeep cj7 to work on, but in the mean time, I use my 2007 Jeep JK. Rides a bit bumpy, but nothing beats it.

Take off the freedom tops while cruising through the mountains on a family trip, and throw the "hitch-haul" on it while carrying around big whitetails.

We are a jeep family. Wife has an 08 Commander, and I like that too...

joe

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Providing digital marketing services for startups & small-to-midsize companies - including website design/hosting, videography and editing.

www.jolinmedia.com
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Hey Joe,

Plenty of ground clearance. Has adjustable air shocks. Tires are M+S, very adequate for what I do.
This vehicle wins every off-road test ever run against other comparable vehicles, including Jeep.

You're only showing your ignorance.

Good to hear than you should have no problems taking it on the Rubicon trail than. I will be going down in there in September You are welcome to come along and show me how ignorant I'm. Oh yeah I'll have my jeep but that shouldn't be a problem for you, after all in your own words that rig of yours will go everywhere laugh and win ALL off road test against other comparable vehicles including jeeps grin

This has to be the most ignorant statement ever. Or you are only showing you don't know sh#t about offroad use or you are just a flat out liar.

Last edited by joecool544; 02/08/11.
IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
His "M+S" are less aggressive than the ones on my daughters Pontiac! HAHAHA!

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Oh yeah, it's good at Malls too................................

The only thing you said that's true. laugh

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by 721_tomahawk
His "M+S" are less aggressive than the ones on my daughters Pontiac! HAHAHA!

grin

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think it's a bit harsh to compare this thread which is for hunting rigs to a Rubicon event.

I'll also venture a guess that the majority of 4X4 hunting vehicles are 100% stock and are used on logging roads, back country gravel roads, and farm roads.

Even my very well done 4X4 vehicles see this kind of road, and driving 90% plus. I do have the ability to use the cruiser for a Rubicon event, but this thread was for hunting vehicles, not cross country expeditions.

Anyway, we all set up and use things differently for the majority of uses we have. I would not want to drive My cruiser up to Alberta for 17 hours ( one way) to hunt, I would much prefer the more comfortable and less off road functional stock equipment of a nice newer SUV. Those comfortable SUV's may not be best for the expedition travel but for hunting where 15-30 hours of pavement lays between you and the hunt, they certainly have there place.

I'm not choosing sides on this, just giving my opinion for what it's worth

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by JJHACK
I think it's a bit harsh to compare this thread which is for hunting rigs to a Rubicon event.

Not harsh at all when you make a ignorant comment like this.
I have a Land Rover LR3. Goes absolutely everywhere,

I never said my jeep will go everywhere I know better than that. wink

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I agree JJ. This is about hunting rigs, not off road competition events which is what the Rubicon Trail is about.
I'm sure Mr. Markham meant that his rig takes him where ever he needs to go for hunting.
My hunting rig is a very basic, 4 cly. Jeep. The only time it has had problems were in ice and snow. Probably because the owner was too lazy to put on the two sets of snow chains he has for it. E

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Eremicus
I agree JJ. This is about hunting rigs, not off road competition events which is what the Rubicon Trail is about.
I'm sure Mr. Markham meant that his rig takes him where ever he needs to go for hunting.

Well believe me when I go down to the Rubicon it's not a competition event. About six of us go down and run the trail and camp at buck island. we go down just to have fun. My Jeep is far from a competition rig, it does do very well though.

Hey Joe,

I figured that's what Markham meant to until he posted this, I thought I would give him the chance to show me what his rig can do. grin

my jeep just a every day driver.

[Linked Image]
Shot at 2011-01-25

Last edited by joecool544; 02/09/11.
Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter

I think the important word there is "comparable"..

And Discovery's, do go very well off road, but they are not in the same class as say a Defender 90..

However once you start modding vehicles, the skys the limit, or at least your bank balance is!

Pete E Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JJHACK

I'll also venture a guess that the majority of 4X4 hunting vehicles are 100% stock and are used on logging roads, back country gravel roads, and farm roads.

Even my very well done 4X4 vehicles see this kind of road, and driving 90% plus. I do have the ability to use the cruiser for a Rubicon event, but this thread was for hunting vehicles, not cross country expeditions.

Anyway, we all set up and use things differently for the majority of uses we have. I would not want to drive My cruiser up to Alberta for 17 hours ( one way) to hunt, I would much prefer the more comfortable and less off road functional stock equipment of a nice newer SUV. Those comfortable SUV's may not be best for the expedition travel but for hunting where 15-30 hours of pavement lays between you and the hunt, they certainly have there place.

Wholely agree Jim..No vehicle is perfect for every situation, and its a case of individuals trying to strike a balance for their own needs and within their own budget..

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My hunting rig an '87 Ford Ranger Ext Cab spends 95% of it's time where a car can/could go, but it's my Hunting Rig nevertheless and I wouldn't want to drive it much more than an hour or two.

Pretty much stock from the day my dad drove it off the lot (manual hubs now, vs the factory auto's) but it surprisingly goes through just about anything I've ever tried to put it through.

Life is just one damned thing after another
Page 6 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

230 members (10gaugemag, 1minute, 260Remguy, 264mag, 204guy, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 31 invisible), 2,174 guests, and 1,228 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,115
Posts18,483,452
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.