Hop To
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Originally Posted by Pete E
Originally Posted by mrmarklin

This vehicle wins every off-road test ever run against other comparable vehicles, including Jeep.

I think the important word there is "comparable"..

Originally Posted by mrmarklin
Goes absolutely everywhere

I thought the key word's there are "Aboslutely everywhere"... What part are you
missing????

That's really a BOLD statement to say don't you think? "absolutely everywhere" Really it's basically at stock rig no ground clearance and crap for tires. I'm sure it works great for his needs but to say what he said is total BS and you know it. crazy

Last edited by joecool544; 02/09/11.
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Joe,

That is so harsh, It's not as if he claimed to be an off road expert providing expert testimony in a trial while under oath.

Absolutely everywhere ............ at least the way I took it was Absolutely everywhere he goes.

I rather doubt he was saying it could fly to the moon, drive across the mississippi, or drive to the top of Everest.

www.huntingadventures.net
Are you living your life, or just paying bills until you die?
When you hit the pearly gates I want to be there just to see the massive pile of dead 5hit at your feet. ( John Peyton)
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yeah, JJ, I agree absolutely with both of your posts. This thread is about hunting rigs. Somehow, it morphed into off-road rigs. Two entirely different things. In my state it is illegal to drive off established trails while hunting. So, maybe others can drive "off-road" while hunting, not here. Trails around here, do not usually involve rock-crawling or mud bogs.

What the ideal hunting outfit is, depends a lot on what the circumstances are, and what you need it to do. Once, I was in a conversation with a friend of mine from Montana, and as I recall we were admiring his two pre-war Model 70's, when the conversation turned to the ideal hunting outfit. He said the ideal hunting outfit is that one parked right out there. It was a stock F-250 HD crew cab long box 4x4! Of course, the Rubicon types think this is positively hilarious, I suppose. (NO monster mudders either). But, if you understand the situation, it is perfectly understandable. This fellow and his buddies, haul their horses and mules up the mountain to where it is they will set up camp, and they hunt on horseback. No jeepster is gonna perform that duty. Furthermore, the big Ford is great at blasting through snow drifts, and the long wheel base offers stability on icy roads. Another non-Rubicon feature.

One of the best hunting outfits I ever owned, was a 4x4 Suburban, back in the early 80's. That thing would haul me around, my buddies, our kids, our dogs, all the guns, all whatever other gear, and everything was inside! Great for upland game hunting, and worked great for deer hunting as well. Definitely not a Rubicon runner tho, guess I was too stupid to realize my mistake. grin

My point is that the ideal hunting rig can vary greatly, depending on the needs of the hunter. Just like what the ideal deer rifle would be. I find it off-putting for posters to ridicule mrmarklin for his vehicle. I'm absolutely sure it performs admirably for his situation, including his tires.

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

This is a badA$$ rig, 5.9 Cummins, 5spd, Dodge axles. A guide I work with did all the work. The "paint" is bedliner, all over, even in the cab.

Eagles may soar, but a weasel never got sucked into a jet turbine!
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
OK I get it! Here is my other hunting rig, It carries my shelter and drags my real hunting rig behind it, or some times my floater as seen here. It's a 97 Dodge dually 4x4 with a Cummins it's a real badass and this thing will absolutely positively go any and everywhere laugh With it's long wheel base it works great on icy snowy roads and with the dual wheels it will haul any and everything with ease, damn near unstoppable laugh laugh

[Linked Image]
Shot at 2009-05-04

Last edited by joecool544; 02/10/11.
IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
whistle

[Linked Image]

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Whats that thing got in it Dana 60s, 70s? don't look like a Dana 80

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
a pair of dana 60 rears. front one is just swung around backwards (not flipped, just swung around)

so, the front axle is always running in "reverse"

Something clever here.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Would be nice to have a HP60 in the front to get back on the drive side of the gear, does it have power loks in it?

That thing would be fun, but don't get much if any snow here.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
yeah it's just a snow rig, very much purpose built. good for what it's good for. grin

no locks, spiders be in the cases.

Something clever here.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I'd love to have a ride in that machine, Dave! Got plenty of snow around these parts! grin

Talk is cheap. It takes money to buy whiskey.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Mine is a 05 Rubicon. Its a work horse and takes me where I want to go. I always wanted a Jeep. I wanted this thing since I was 16 or so and got it this past April at age 48. Always something else for some reason or the other. This thing was a one owner with 40,000 miles and fully loaded with every option offered. $16000 out the door. Like I said I always wanted on and finally got ti so I'm not looking to tear it up but do use it.
I got new Warn front and rear bumpers with tire carrier, new Warn winch, soft top ready to go on it when the weather warms up. Also got a 4 inch short arm lift kit to go on it. I just want a nice looking useful rig that is used for hunting, shopping or just having some fun.

[Linked Image]

I was ANTI-OBAMA before it was CooL
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
Originally Posted by Idaho_Elk_Huntr

[Linked Image]

Nice rig! I got an itch for a Jeep.

Camp is where you make it.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Joe, you might want to check the new regulations before you make too many plans for camping at Buck Island. The last I heard, the USFS was closing the area to campers.
BTW, the SO patrols the area now on ATV's.
No doubt, the Rubicon Jeep is probably as competent a vehicle for off roading as can be purchased. However, such abilities are seldom needed for hunting as most of the best hunting areas reguire you either walk into them or ride horses. E

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

141 members (44mc, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 35, 69sportfury, 14 invisible), 1,588 guests, and 950 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.