Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I see John posts here, and I am not intending to make any waves. I am just pretty ignorant when if comes to hunting/shooting gossip, like Why Zumbo is a bashed? Or why Big Stick got kicked off? Or why Rick Jamison got shunned over a law suite? and stuff like that...

But I wanted to know if anyone knows what happened to him and the other 2 fellas that started the show? Bobby Barrera and the other guy?

JB, if you can tell, please do. And if you can't can you at least chime in and say that someone is pretty close to the truth or way off course?

Just seems like you started the whole thing, then got the boot. Seemed like Porter was an occassional hunter guy, then de-throned you and is now the "host".

And did you make/tweak all of the rifles that were used 2-3 years ago?

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I don't really know myself! However they sure make it easy for someone to hit a big game animal out at 800 yards on the first shot and go bang flop.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
whistle get popcon and beer ready this will go about 10 pages

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, MINE ARE ALL DEFECTIVE ..... TED NUGENT
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I wasn't trying to be a dickk, I just never heard the story, and now I want to know....

What am I missing?

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
I don't think it really matters. Burns and the TV crew obviously had a falling out of some sort, I'd say it is there business. Burns is of course building rifles (Greybull Precision) identical to the ones he built that were used on that show. The Best of the West guys now use different rifles and scopes. If you don't bave his "How to Shoot Beyond Belief" DVD's, buy them, they are worth the money.

IC B2

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
Got the 1st one and liked it, but never got the "How To"

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
all i was saying is that in the last few months there has been alot of controversy just about every time his name is mentioned here at the fire. i have absolutely nothing against john i think he seems like a genuinely good guy but what has happened is somebody mentions him or his products and instantly about five or more of his haters jump in and start the bashing then the nutlickers show up and the name-calling and insults will go about 10 pages in 24hours. as to the story you are asking about i really dont know what happened.

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, MINE ARE ALL DEFECTIVE ..... TED NUGENT
J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I don't dislike him either. He came to my defense on a post re: engraved turrets that match yardage making things REALLY simple for 500 yards and under.

Think the Big Stick pissing match is almost funny.

Still waiting.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Not that this directly applys, but I think there was some sort of falling out on Best of the West..rumor has it the boys still doing the show will be using a magnum Cooper is putting out!

Thought some may find that interesting.,

FMP

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
So now he claims that yardage dials are not the best for over 500? That was always my point. Too many variables in effect to make yardage only the right deal for long shots. 500 is not long.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
IC B3

J
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
J
I was saying that to about 500 yards, a difference in 2000ft elevation, or 30 deg temp change wasn't going to yield a miss. At that time I was in New Mexico. I could be in the desert floor or 7000 ft in the same day. And January temps could start at 17 deg and end up over 70 at the end of the day.

500 yards is still long to me. And I was arguing for the "average hunter" about 3 years ago.

I BELIEVE he backed up the claim that simply spinning a custom turret to match 500 at 500 yards was good enough for kills. Others were touting the necessity for Exbal and barometric pressure, etc.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
The falling out was John Burns had a vision, he did all the load work and development on the rifles, and designed the scope. His vision was to make an AFFORDABLE rifle for the every day hunter, and educate hunters on long range shooting. The rest of the best of the west boys wanted the money and fame. John Burns was the brains behind it all the rest had degrees, don't get me wrong the BOW boys sure are cranking out some nice guns every time they sale one John Burns gets paid. I had the privledge to talk to John Burns and get his side of the story. He is a real nice guy and is in to making affordable guns for us working guys that can't afford a $6,500 rifle, he can take a factory rifle that is capable of shooting sub moa and turn it into a 1,000 yd gun.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
How do you turn a factory rifle thats already shooting sub moa, into a 1000 yard gun? Point being its already capable?

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I was saying that to about 500 yards, a difference in 2000ft elevation, or 30 deg temp change wasn't going to yield a miss. At that time I was in New Mexico. I could be in the desert floor or 7000 ft in the same day. And January temps could start at 17 deg and end up over 70 at the end of the day.

500 yards is still long to me. And I was arguing for the "average hunter" about 3 years ago.

I BELIEVE he backed up the claim that simply spinning a custom turret to match 500 at 500 yards was good enough for kills. Others were touting the necessity for Exbal and barometric pressure, etc.

Gotcha.... I agree, there generally can't be enough difference in conditions in a 500 yard shot. Of course being that I haven't looked at my programs lately, IE have not done a hunt requiring that in a few years... 500 could be the start of issues.. actually 300 depending... if I zero my gun at 250 asl, in 95% humidity and 105 temps and then take it to 11K feet, 20% humidity, an d temps in the 20s.. that could be the start of issues.

Heck truth be told I shot on so many different ranges, that it was not uncommon to have totally different zero's on each range. Sometimes to the tune of 1-1.5 moa changes. ANd that to be unique to that range. I certainly had known zero's for my home range at the house, out to 1000. They were good day in and day out, with some minor issues due to mirage and temps. But you certainly could not go to a range different and use the fixed zero at say 600 and expect to shoot an X first shot out of the barrel.

Of course the accuracy required to kill an animal vs win a match are 2 different things.

Sorry for the digression.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The story is simple and about as it appears from the outside. I do not get a percentage of their rifles but they did buy me out of the DVDs.

I do get a chuckle that they wanted to own and were willing to pay for the Beyond Belief and How to Shoot Beyond Belief DVDs. I would have thought they would have just produced new ones, what with them being the real experts on the LR stuff. laugh laugh

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

R
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
R
John good to see you on here. I don't care what anyone else on here has to say about your knowledge and abilities, they need to have some of their heads checked to think what you do is a joke or not real. I think alot of people just get jealous that some ideas are not there ideas. I'm sure there are alot of people on here that are capable of making these shots without your guns or scopes. The point is that you are a good teacher and know what you are talking about, for people to doubt that or try to dis-credit you is what is unreal. I hope that I can get me one of your rigs some day or send you one that I have. I just got a 300 wsm that I want to build off of . I still can't make the move to a 7mm, regardless of how you can make them shoot. I will always be a 30 cal man. Keep up the good work and building real quality guns.

Last edited by RonM35; 12/08/10.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
John,

I have heard a lot of good things about you, your knowledge and your work. Thanks for all of it.

" The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants" Thomas Jefferson.

Molon Labe
C
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
C
Burns,

Ever consider putting together a 6.5lb rifle, (all up, w/scope) designed for taking game out to 800yds?

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by JohnBurns
I would have thought they would have just produced new ones, what with them being the real experts on the LR stuff.
TFF!

Unfortunately I do not get the outdoor channel and have never seen your show John. I do have the Berger DVD which has some excellent hunting footage with you. Could you get me some free Berger bullets John? Berger T-shirt,Camo Parka would be cool also.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
slgay888,

You cheap bastard - you're a damn millionaire & you're always up John's azz for free schit!!

Your're probably using unemployment checks & food stamps to pay for your new Mercedes too, aren't you??

Last edited by 300MAG; 12/09/10.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

744 members (16gage, 160user, 16Racing, 12344mag, 10Glocks, 01Foreman400, 70 invisible), 2,568 guests, and 1,343 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,842
Posts18,478,210
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.