S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by blackdogsrule
Not cool to kill all those bass. Sorry.
Not cool to make ignorant comments. Sorry.

More KILLS. Delicious!

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not cool to kill all those bass. Sorry.

Can you explain why?? If they were caught legally & he only kept his limit, then what's the problem??

I like to each fish as much as I like to eat venison, elk, etc etc....

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I have no problem with keeping fish to eat but I do have a problem with what in my opinion is excessive killing just because you can. That goes for game animals as well. I hunt and fish and eat what I kill.

I have a problem with people that feel they have to kill their limit and let it waste in the freezer. How many times have you seen pictures of limits of dolphin and tuna on the dock knowing full well that most of that fish will be wasted?

Look, I am not trying to pass moral judgement here but I really don't see the point in killing that many bass. If you do fine but a couple of fresh fish is much better than a freezer full of fish that will get freezer burn most likely.

If killing that many bass just because it's legal is what you like then go for it. I choose catch and release so there will be fish that nice there next time I want to fish.

Also, by removing that many large fish you can upset the balance of the body of water which will result in stunted bass and large bluegill.

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i can guarantee you all those fish wouldn't last long around this household.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
I have a problem with people that feel they have to kill their limit and let it waste in the freezer. Also, by removing that many large fish you can upset the balance of the body of water which will result in stunted bass and large bluegill.

BLACKDOGSRULE, Did you ever consider before making your ignorant comment that MAYBE fish limits are set by the FWC for a reason??? How 'bout the fact this is not VA and FL has body's of water loaded with bass and this could be repeated most days of fishing??? How 'bout this particular catch may have consisted of more than 1 guy, or maybe an overstocked pond???

Kinda RUDE to Rag on someone's "kill or catch". Why don't you go bitch about someone killing more than 1 dear a year. Plenty of those threads!

Last edited by slg888; 12/11/10.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Just be thankful there are a lot of people like me that practice catch and release so you can keep all those large bass. I just hope you ate every last bite and it didn't waste away in the freezer. Happy fishing.

Montani Semper Liberi

"Mountaineers Are Always Free"

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Nice wahoo and dolphin. Good snook, really good bass.

[Linked Image] Steve

"He wins the most, who honor saves. Success is not the test"--Ryan

Blog: http://www.baitshopboyz.com/forum/forum_topics.asp?FID=71
IC B3

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Good on you Stoney. We sure ate all of these! They didn't have time to get freezer burned!

[Linked Image]

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Nice Afterum...34 dolphin! When they get on a feeding frenzy, it sure is fun tossing them in the boat. Some fine eating right there!

SteveG, lot of snook in South Florida! Glad you know your fish, Ive got some pm's asking what it was.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Just be thankful there are a lot of people like me that practice catch and release so you can keep all those large bass. I just hope you ate every last bite and it didn't waste away in the freezer. Happy fishing.

I've got a feeling that you releasing your dink 11" and 12" bass doesn't have anything to do with him catching all those big bass that you're so jealous of.

Your holier than thou attitude makes me wonder if you know the difference between reading about catching fish...and actually catching fish.

Originally Posted by archie_james_c
I should have just
bought a [bleep] T3...

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by AFTERUM
Good on you Stoney. We sure ate all of these! They didn't have time to get freezer burned!

[Linked Image]

Its 11 degrees here..icy and slicker than snot on a doorknob, I havent wet a line in almost 4 months and....

YOU SUCK!

grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
yeah, I know.....sorry......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
And to boot..Mahi is one of the VERY few fish I will eat.. mad

( seasoned, grilled and topped with mango salsa...Mmmmmmmm...)

grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
well, come on down and we will cook em like you like em !! Kinda cold here tho, 72 and sunny today......

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Don't be tellin me that! I was down there last Feb. doing a couple dog seminars...and I'm trying to get down there for an EOD school..... whistle

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Good job. IMHO, thats a lot better than just a "good" snook. That one looks like its pushing 30+lbs. I've only caught a few that big over the years and I grew up fishing for them in my backyard.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I eat any legal Muskie. Rag on me, too.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
You know if those were catfish he wouldn't be crying.

That snook looks like a monster. Fishing in TX we rarely if ever see any. Yours is probably one of the bigger ones I've ever seen. Congrats.
I'll bet those chicken dolphins (mahi) were tasty also.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Stoney and Afterum, NICE fish guys.

The naysayer has not a clue about Florida's bass population. Once LA/Tx had a great reputation for Toledo Bend, alot of that success was FLA bass. No doubt Fl has the habitat to product a great quantity and quality of great Largemouth.

Grew up eating alot of them from Toledo Bend, great eating.

Stoney, let me know when you want to go fishing, I will come down there an buy you a beer bud!

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
You fishing the bass down south exclusively, or do you get up into the central lakes as well?

Tom - that's a nice snook, nobody'd be disappointed with her, but she's not pushing 30 lbs. wink

Beautiful dolphin and it's been a while since I've seen a 'hoo that nice. Used to see alot more when I lived on the east coast. The gulf side just ain't the same for bluewater. whistle But, the inshore layout does a pretty good job of compensating. cool

Anyway, nice fish, man!

Best -
Andy

Last edited by FLNative; 12/14/10.
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Andy, your correct about the Snook. I have caught some whoppers though! I bet you have caught some nice Redfish & Tarpon? Any pics?

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Yeah, that's the benefit of the west side. More redfish up and down the coast and more accessible tarpon! I was born and raised in Ft Pierce, my dad was born and raised in West Palm. East coast was all I knew for a long time, but after moving over here after college, I got used to the differences pretty quick. grin Still, given the choice, I'd rather fish snook and trout back home in FP. The numbers are the same, but the average size is a bit larger. I guide over here, but my folks still live in FP, so I run trips for big snook over there from time to time for some of my long-time regulars.

Pictures? Yeah, I got a few pictures. I'll have to get them into photobucket before I can get them in here, though. I'll try to get you a few to peek at by this evening. cool

Best -
Andy

Last edited by FLNative; 12/14/10.
S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Ive seen my buddies pull HUGE Snook out of the Palm beach inlet and the Lake Worth spillway can be awesome after a good rain also. That particular Snook was caught in Flamingo using a MirrOlure 52.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Aaaaahhh, Flamingo. One of my top 5 favorite destinations! Couple of the snook below came from Flamingo. As for PB inlet, sounds about right. Ft Pierce, St Lucie and Jupiter, all three are slam full of BIG snook if you know how, when, and where. cool

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
East Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
East Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
East Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/315_ReleaseB.jpg[/img]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/heavy36snook.jpg[/img]
East Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/Beach36.jpg[/img]
West Coast

I'll post a few more of tarpon and reds.

Best -
Andy

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[Linked Image]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/355BeachSnook.jpg[/img]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/seatroutrelease.jpg[/img]
East Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/TroutRelease.jpg[/img]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/M_with_315A.jpg[/img]
West Coast

[img]http://i234.photobucket.com/albums/ee182/inshore52/315newmoonsnook3BD.jpg[/img]
East Coast

About half the snook were caught on fly and the two largest reds; my older son and dad's. Fun stuff!!

Best -
Andy

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Excellent Andy! Seems you know your way around South Florida very well. Yes Flamingo is top notch for backwater fishing.

Thank you for posting your pics, Stoney

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
starting to get some nice size snook down here. especially since packery channel was opened up a few years back

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
I kinda like big Bluegills!!!
These aren't all that big, however, they sure did taste good.

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

rudyc

Last edited by rudyc; 12/15/10.

It's a good day for something.
B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
Originally Posted by stxhunter
starting to get some nice size snook down here. especially since packery channel was opened up a few years back

STX - I'm currently looking to line up a trip on Baffin around Feb/Mar. Are you from that area?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
What do you do with those bass, you can't eat the dang things?

Well we're Green and we're Gold, and we play better when it's cold. All us Cheese heads have our favorite superstar. We love Brett Favre.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i'm in corpus. fished Baffin back in the early 70s when i was a kid with my dad, lived in kingsville then. use to catch literally boat loads of specks and reds back then. best place to catch trophy size specs

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
going to have a get together in June and fish the padre island national seashore. anyone wanting to come down and fish let me know.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by FLNative
Aaaaahhh, Flamingo. One of my top 5 favorite destinations! Couple of the snook below came from Flamingo. As for PB inlet, sounds about right. Ft Pierce, St Lucie and Jupiter, all three are slam full of BIG snook if you know how, when, and where. cool

I'll post a few more of tarpon and reds.

Best -
Andy

Man that's the truth .......... heading out Jupiter Inlet tomorrow to drop some lines with the boys while everyone else is opening presents!

NRA Life Member
USPSA Life Member
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I just read this post. I can not believe that so many folks came down on Blackdog for his, "not cool to kill bass, comment". Mayhap because it is a saltwater forum. Eat everything you catch. Do any watch bass fishing programs on TV? No one eats bass on there. They catch and release. The fresh water eaters are perch/bluegill/brim, crappie, walleye, and catfish.

I fished Toledo Bend Reservoir, TX in it's 1970's heyday. Guides would clean about 35 bass a day per boat. We brought home coolers of breadsacks full of fillets. Most of you aren't familiar with the name of that huge lake because of it.

I won't get down on folks for catching and eating. But I agree that it ain't cool to eat bass. I believe that the folks in those pics will be practicing catch and release on bass, someday. Life is good.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Maybe you eat everything you catch in saltwater in KS, but not in FL. whistle confused Most of the fish in the pictures I posted were too large to keep under the regulations, and the snook in particular, I'd have released anyway.

To each their own, but I'm not coming down on anybody as long as the resource is plentiful. If it's not, that's a whole different story. In this case, it is.

Do we stop shooting bucks because they're so "big and majestic" on a plot of land that's loaded with them?

Last edited by FLNative; 01/05/11.
S
S
Originally Posted by croldfort
I just read this post. I can not believe that so many folks came down on Blackdog for his, "not cool to kill bass, comment". Mayhap because it is a saltwater forum. Eat everything you catch. Do any watch bass fishing programs on TV? No one eats bass on there. They catch and release. The fresh water eaters are perch/bluegill/brim, crappie, walleye, and catfish.

I fished Toledo Bend Reservoir, TX in it's 1970's heyday. Guides would clean about 35 bass a day per boat. We brought home coolers of breadsacks full of fillets. Most of you aren't familiar with the name of that huge lake because of it.

I won't get down on folks for catching and eating. But I agree that it ain't cool to eat bass. I believe that the folks in those pics will be practicing catch and release on bass, someday. Life is good.

OK. It's fine to eat some fish, but not others. Glad we got that straightened out.

G
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
G
Just so crybaby can be happy, be it known that I will be going to Florida and being a vegetarian, all my fish will be catch and release so it's OK if slg888 ate my share.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Well this crybaby may have been born at night, but it wasn't last night. I AM aware of what has been going on in freshwater bass fishing over the last 30yrs. Eat them if you like, but you will be in about 5% of the bass fishermen. The other 95% will catch and release for another day. I am still amazed at the support on here to kill largemouth bass.

And I do understand that saltwater offers catch and release fish and eaters.

S
S
Catch and release is fine, to a degree. Taking too many fish out of any given fishery can cause problems. Not taking enough out of some lakes can cause even more problems.

What is arguably the best bass lake in Mississippi ran into problems a few years ago because of catch and release. None of the bass fishermen were keeping fish except for the wallhangers. There were still plenty of big bass left over from the original stocking, but there were just herds of 12" and shorter fish that weren't growing. More is not necessarily better.

The limit on largemouth was raised to 30 as I recall, with some sort of slot to protect the bigger fish. This was done in an effort to maintain the quality of the bass population and to produce the biggest bass possible.

Catch and release is not the only management tool and I don't hear it pushed much anymore, largely because bass population management has evolved and is no longer so basic.

What do I do if I catch a five pound largemouth? Same thing I do with 35 pound redfish...take a picture and throw them back. Now if you're a 1-2 pound largemouth...look out, you're headed to the dinner table! (I threw in the redfish so this is ALMOST about saltwater.)

I strongly disagree with blackdogsrule and feel he should not have said anything. IMO, he has no right to criticize, particularly since he has no idea what the circumstances are behind the catch. They could have come from a stocked pond, over-populated fishery or intended for a church fish fry. Regardless, it was just rude and uncalled for.

Anyone who thinks catch and release is the global answer to fishery management is blatantly wrong. Any biologist will agree as will any bass fishermen who have fished and understand what goes into a quality fishery.

Last edited by skwerlkiller; 01/06/11.
Y
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Y
I'm a Florida native and we released all the legal size bass we caught right into lake crisco as soon as we got home. Hush puppies, Cole slaw& sweet tea completed the meal.
I love bass. Tasty to say the least.

JMO, Byron.

S
slg888 Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
S
Originally Posted by yogibear
we released all the legal size bass we caught right into lake crisco
TFF!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (1234, 12344mag, 1Longbow, 219 Wasp, 160user, 17CalFan, 59 invisible), 2,145 guests, and 1,282 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,013
Posts18,481,562
Members73,959
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.