Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
JMort Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So we are having a discussion at work and I need an answer.

How long is the typical barrel life of 300 RUM

I am saying over 1000 shots

The guy here is saying less than 250....

take a kid hunting there will be no greater feeling than to watch them succeed.
HR IC

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Depends upon how you drive it and what you are driving through it and what your needs are.

Most will never knock the new outta one...............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
JMort Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Ok, he has a 700 sendero that he claims lost accuracy out of after a few boxes, has a different scope and mounts on it but still can't get it to shoot 180 partitions at like 3000, pretty tame load I think, Never shot a Ultra before.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
quite tame...might be part of the prob

100% Public land DIY!
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by JMort
Ok, he has a 700 sendero that he claims lost accuracy out of after a few boxes, has a different scope and mounts on it but still can't get it to shoot 180 partitions at like 3000, pretty tame load I think, Never shot a Ultra before.

Accuracy puking,can be induced by a host of variables after a few boxes,none of which is the barrel being shot out.

Sendero's jump around horribly in their stocks(pull it apart and look at the skid marks on the receiver's underside),the Ultra bumps enough to tax scope/base/rings and the shooter. NPT's are soft and will foul wonderously.

The rifle never had a chance to shine...which is of course very typical.............

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
IC B2

JMort Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
So it would be wise to offer him 50 bucks for it and build it up again? JK. I will let him know I tried to him to shoot some 208 amaxes loaded hot in it. I will see if I can get him to change the stocks or have it bedded.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
...The guy here is saying less than 250....

More likely the rifle wore him out in less than 250 rounds....grin

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
So it would be wise to offer him 50 bucks for it and build it up again? JK. I will let him know I tried to him to shoot some 208 amaxes loaded hot in it. I will see if I can get him to change the stocks or have it bedded.

If you've a desire for a 300 Ultra tube that hasn't had the new knocked offa it,you would be in tall cotton...................

JMort Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I am not I just called the dealer about an accumark 300 wby for 500 his wife is having him call me back....

He is going to send it out and have a custom made out of it, he is afraid of the 300 I think so whats he ask the guy about, a 338-378 HAHA... More money then brains....

Oh yeah this is the same guy who last week had 340 wby barrel on his encore thought it kicked to much so he took it to the drill press and tried to port it.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The loose nut behind the trigger,is 99% of all "issues".................

IC B3

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

Oh yeah this is the same guy who last week had 340 wby barrel on his encore thought it kicked to much so he took it to the drill press and tried to port it.

Wow....Now that is impressive.

For what its worth, I'm into my 300RUM for over 1400 rounds now, and it is still reliably punching sub MOA......Although, I haven't leaned on it really hard.

Originally Posted by Someone
Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
My Sako 300 Rum has been shot 750 times or so. The accuracy has went from a true .5 rifle to about 1 inch maybe a little more. The throat has grown .070 inch. I shoot it full throttle all the time. It averages 3347 fps with 180 grain partition with this lot of RL25.

Dink

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Interesting.

Mine will still fling 168gr TSX's (moly'd) into 0.3's-0.5's (if I'm on my game and haven't had too much coffee) at around 3450 and change....using R22.

It doesn't do as well with the 130's, but it does do reasonably well with the 168SMK, the 168 amax (just started with that bullet now), and the 180TSX (again, shoots 'em into knots....) I'm hoping to get 2400 or so rounds out of it, before it needs a new tube.

Mind you, I haven't looked down the pipe for a while, so maybe its closer to pooched than I think.

Why pack all that messy meat out of the bush when we can just go to the grocery store where meat is made? Hell,if they sold antlers I would save so much money I could afford to go Dolphin fishing. Maybe even a baby seal safari.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Of course, its gonna be a while before I get there with that one now, since I've started playing with the 162 amax in my 7wsm....

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
...Oh yeah this is the same guy who last week had 340 wby barrel on his encore thought it kicked to much so he took it to the drill press and tried to port it.

That's funny.

The dots connect.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Sounds like he would be better served with a 308 or 30-06. I shot 300 Weatherby for a number of years in the 1970's for some reason I thought I needed more that what I was getting out of a 7mm Remington Mag at the time. Seems to me that the 300 Weatherby was just about the upper limit of what I wanted to shoot at that time. It seems to me that cartridges like the 300 RUM the the like are getting to be to much of a good thing. I played with a 330 dakota for a time, I ended up going back to the 338 Winnie I shot, these days I shoot a 7mm Remington Mag again because that was the barrel on the Blaser I bought. So I came back to what I had after chasing the dragon for 38 years. Barrel life is subjective, At what point will it not be accurate enough to kill an elk, more that I would want to shoot one. You might be looking at 2500 to 3000 shots, maybe a tad less. More barrels are worn out from improper cleaning than from shooting. I never saw the reason for the RUM's, some of the Dakota Cartridges made some sense, but at 2 bucks a case, cases last a very long time, I know from the 330 I had. It don't really make a whole lot of sense, other than you just want one. I know a fellow that shoots a 30-378 for his deer hunting near were I live, every time he shoot it this time of year I hear it, its loud very loud. Seems to me a little much for 100 lb white tails and 40 yard shots. He likes it. Next year, I am going 250-3000, or a 30-30.

"Any idiot can face a crisis,it's the day-to-day living that wears you out."

Anton Chekhov

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My buds 700 LSS (sporter weight) lasted for 1500. He practiced all the time out to 1k+. He was not gentle with it.

https://thehandloadinglog.wordpress.com
μολὼν λαβέ

"Weatherby was too long so I nicknamed it "Bee""
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
The 700 BDL I bought a few years ago as a donar has over 2000 through it and it still shoots great. After doing the stupid "shooting the donar"I was planning on shooting this barrel out and rebarreling it to a RUM again but it's lasted long enough for me to loose intrest in the rifle and move on to another project.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
My 300 ultra puked a Mike Rock tube at about 1250 rounds.
I am of the opinion that they make barrels everyday and I run them hard.

D
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
D
Well - I read your post and the only good thing about the post was that the Ultra Mag only came on high end rifles.
The minus side is that Remingtons fit and finish has gone down the crapper the last couple of years.
The only sad part of it all is that most people do not understand the value of good optic's, so without a through inspection - there is no way for sure to know what the problem is.
There is no way to diagnose his problem over the internet.
I would say that there is either a issue with the scope or the action fit and the stock.
I only hunt whitetail deer - so there is no reason for me to want something that powerful. But a friend of mine has one and we have done some experiments and have found that it is a fairly accurate rifle, just that it has so much recoil that it probably has the guy scared out of his pants to shoot it and he is probably flinching.
The best thing he could do is get rid of it and buy something a little less powerful such as a 300 Winchester Magnum.
The 300 RUM is not for everyone.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

574 members (338rcm, 1minute, 338reddog, 264magnum, 06hunter59, 67 invisible), 2,344 guests, and 1,270 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,538
Posts18,491,481
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.